Can't install fax client files on WXP.

email.helpline@gmail.com

      20th Aug 2005
Hello,

I've setup Windows 2003 fax services on a W2K3 server and shared the
device. I've tested faxing from Word on my PC and it works fine.

However, when other users try to install the fax client, the setup
hangs asking for the fx* setup files. I've tried different XPSP2 CDs,
copying the files to a local directory, making sure that the users have
local admin rights (and even domain admin rights) but to no avail. The
files are already in the system32 directory so in theory the setup
doesn't even need to copy them. Even if I delete them, it doesn't work.
Our corporate SMS team reckons that there isn't any policy which could
cause the problem.

Anyone seen this problem before?

Thanks,

- Alan.

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

      21st Aug 2005
Not an Outlook related question - you may want to post this to the
appropriate Windows 2003 news group.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, (E-Mail Removed) asked:

| Hello,
|
| I've setup Windows 2003 fax services on a W2K3 server and shared the
| device. I've tested faxing from Word on my PC and it works fine.
|
| However, when other users try to install the fax client, the setup
| hangs asking for the fx* setup files. I've tried different XPSP2 CDs,
| copying the files to a local directory, making sure that the users
| have local admin rights (and even domain admin rights) but to no
| avail. The files are already in the system32 directory so in theory
| the setup doesn't even need to copy them. Even if I delete them, it
| doesn't work. Our corporate SMS team reckons that there isn't any
| policy which could cause the problem.
|
| Anyone seen this problem before?
|
| Thanks,
|
| - Alan.

Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]

      22nd Aug 2005
Have a look at this article:

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835132
Why can't the XP Fax Installation Program find the Installation Files?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- (E-Mail Removed)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I've setup Windows 2003 fax services on a W2K3 server and shared the
> device. I've tested faxing from Word on my PC and it works fine.
>
> However, when other users try to install the fax client, the setup
> hangs asking for the fx* setup files. I've tried different XPSP2 CDs,
> copying the files to a local directory, making sure that the users have
> local admin rights (and even domain admin rights) but to no avail. The
> files are already in the system32 directory so in theory the setup
> doesn't even need to copy them. Even if I delete them, it doesn't work.
> Our corporate SMS team reckons that there isn't any policy which could
> cause the problem.
>
> Anyone seen this problem before?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Alan.