Can't insert PDF Objects into Microsoft Excel

Tegger

      28th Jan 2011
Just posting this in case it helps somebody somewhere...

Situation: Excel hangs for a couple of minutes, then errors with this
message:
"Microsoft Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE
action".

Other Objects and Pictures can be inserted without problem.

The problem seems to be Adobe Reader X, and possibly Adobe Acrobat Pro X as
well (but I only have AAP 9.4, so cannot check to be sure).

Adobe Reader X has a brand-new-to-Reader setting called "Protected Mode".
This must be disabled in order for Excel to be able to insert PDFs into a
spreadsheet.

Disable "Protected Mode" this way:
Go to Edit > Preferences > General, then UNcheck the box that says
"Enable Protected Mode on Startup".

Here's why: Excel cannot display an inserted PDF without asking the help of
an already-installed copy of Reader or Acrobat, or other PDF-reading
program. Reader X, by default, wants to corral the opened file all to
itself, not allowing any other program to play with it. This is done for
security reasons.

The problem is that Excel is seen by Reader X to be a SECOND--and therefore
illegal--program attempting to access the PDF file at the same time as
Reader X (in violation of Protected Mode). So you need to disable Protected
Mode so Reader will allow other programs to work with the PDF at the same
time as Reader X.

--
Tegger

New Member

      18th Mar 2011
Thank you! Tegger

R.

      18th Apr 2011
Thanks Tegger,

This was exactely the solution I needed!

Hopefully I'm not grave digging here, many of our machines are finally being upgraded to Reader X.

> On Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:51 PM Tegger wrote:

> Just posting this in case it helps somebody somewhere...
>
> Situation: Excel hangs for a couple of minutes, then errors with this
> message:
> "Microsoft Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE
> action".
>
> Other Objects and Pictures can be inserted without problem.
>
> The problem seems to be Adobe Reader X, and possibly Adobe Acrobat Pro X as
> well (but I only have AAP 9.4, so cannot check to be sure).
>
> Adobe Reader X has a brand-new-to-Reader setting called "Protected Mode".
> This must be disabled in order for Excel to be able to insert PDFs into a
> spreadsheet.
>
> Disable "Protected Mode" this way:
> Go to Edit > Preferences > General, then UNcheck the box that says
> "Enable Protected Mode on Startup".
>
> Here is why: Excel cannot display an inserted PDF without asking the help of
> an already-installed copy of Reader or Acrobat, or other PDF-reading
> program. Reader X, by default, wants to corral the opened file all to
> itself, not allowing any other program to play with it. This is done for
> security reasons.
>
> The problem is that Excel is seen by Reader X to be a SECOND--and therefore
> illegal--program attempting to access the PDF file at the same time as
> Reader X (in violation of Protected Mode). So you need to disable Protected
> Mode so Reader will allow other programs to work with the PDF at the same
> time as Reader X.
>

> --
> Tegger

kristaleary@gmail.com

      5th Dec 2012
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

On Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:51:24 PM UTC-6, Tegger wrote:
> Just posting this in case it helps somebody somewhere...
>
> Situation: Excel hangs for a couple of minutes, then errors with this
> message:
> "Microsoft Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE
> action".
>
> Other Objects and Pictures can be inserted without problem.
>
> The problem seems to be Adobe Reader X, and possibly Adobe Acrobat Pro X as
> well (but I only have AAP 9.4, so cannot check to be sure).
>
> Adobe Reader X has a brand-new-to-Reader setting called "Protected Mode".
> This must be disabled in order for Excel to be able to insert PDFs into a
> spreadsheet.
>
> Disable "Protected Mode" this way:
> Go to Edit > Preferences > General, then UNcheck the box that says
> "Enable Protected Mode on Startup".
>
> Here's why: Excel cannot display an inserted PDF without asking the help of
> an already-installed copy of Reader or Acrobat, or other PDF-reading
> program. Reader X, by default, wants to corral the opened file all to
> itself, not allowing any other program to play with it. This is done for
> security reasons.
>
> The problem is that Excel is seen by Reader X to be a SECOND--and therefore
> illegal--program attempting to access the PDF file at the same time as
> Reader X (in violation of Protected Mode). So you need to disable Protected
> Mode so Reader will allow other programs to work with the PDF at the same
> time as Reader X.
>

> --
> Tegger

melaniezeesalgado@gmail.com

      19th Aug 2013
This piece of the puzzle was exactly what I needed. This was PERFECT! THANK YOU TEGGER!!!

bionicstraw@gmail.com

      27th Sep 2013
This was also what I needed. Thanks a ton.

de.tushar@gmail.com

      31st Jan 2014
On Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:51:24 PM UTC-5, Tegger wrote:
> Just posting this in case it helps somebody somewhere...
>
> Situation: Excel hangs for a couple of minutes, then errors with this
> message:
> "Microsoft Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE
> action".
>
> Other Objects and Pictures can be inserted without problem.
>
> The problem seems to be Adobe Reader X, and possibly Adobe Acrobat Pro X as
> well (but I only have AAP 9.4, so cannot check to be sure).
>
> Adobe Reader X has a brand-new-to-Reader setting called "Protected Mode".
> This must be disabled in order for Excel to be able to insert PDFs into a
> spreadsheet.
>
> Disable "Protected Mode" this way:
> Go to Edit > Preferences > General, then UNcheck the box that says
> "Enable Protected Mode on Startup".
>
> Here's why: Excel cannot display an inserted PDF without asking the help of
> an already-installed copy of Reader or Acrobat, or other PDF-reading
> program. Reader X, by default, wants to corral the opened file all to
> itself, not allowing any other program to play with it. This is done for
> security reasons.
>
> The problem is that Excel is seen by Reader X to be a SECOND--and therefore
> illegal--program attempting to access the PDF file at the same time as
> Reader X (in violation of Protected Mode). So you need to disable Protected
> Mode so Reader will allow other programs to work with the PDF at the same
> time as Reader X.
>

> --
> Tegger

Great solution SIR!!!. Its really helped me. This needs to be change in PDF reader software. Thanks!

rudygarcia262@gmail.com

      3rd Jun 2014
On Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:51:24 PM UTC-6, Tegger wrote:
> Just posting this in case it helps somebody somewhere...
>
> Situation: Excel hangs for a couple of minutes, then errors with this
> message:
> "Microsoft Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE
> action".
>
> Other Objects and Pictures can be inserted without problem.
>
> The problem seems to be Adobe Reader X, and possibly Adobe Acrobat Pro X as
> well (but I only have AAP 9.4, so cannot check to be sure).
>
> Adobe Reader X has a brand-new-to-Reader setting called "Protected Mode".
> This must be disabled in order for Excel to be able to insert PDFs into a
> spreadsheet.
>
> Disable "Protected Mode" this way:
> Go to Edit > Preferences > General, then UNcheck the box that says
> "Enable Protected Mode on Startup".
>
> Here's why: Excel cannot display an inserted PDF without asking the help of
> an already-installed copy of Reader or Acrobat, or other PDF-reading
> program. Reader X, by default, wants to corral the opened file all to
> itself, not allowing any other program to play with it. This is done for
> security reasons.
>
> The problem is that Excel is seen by Reader X to be a SECOND--and therefore
> illegal--program attempting to access the PDF file at the same time as
> Reader X (in violation of Protected Mode). So you need to disable Protected
> Mode so Reader will allow other programs to work with the PDF at the same
> time as Reader X.
>

> --
> Tegger

I have adobe reader xi and they moved this to Edit->Preferences->Security (Enhanced) under Sandbox Protections you can UNcheck "Enable Protected Mode" and the solution will work.

shannoncarlson17@gmail.com

      1st Aug 2014
On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:25:44 AM UTC-6, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:51:24 PM UTC-6, Tegger wrote:
>
> > Just posting this in case it helps somebody somewhere...

> > Situation: Excel hangs for a couple of minutes, then errors with this

> > message:

> > "Microsoft Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE

> > action".

> > Other Objects and Pictures can be inserted without problem.

> > The problem seems to be Adobe Reader X, and possibly Adobe Acrobat Pro X as

> > well (but I only have AAP 9.4, so cannot check to be sure).

> > Adobe Reader X has a brand-new-to-Reader setting called "Protected Mode".

> > This must be disabled in order for Excel to be able to insert PDFs into a

> > spreadsheet.

> > Disable "Protected Mode" this way:

> > Go to Edit > Preferences > General, then UNcheck the box that says

> > "Enable Protected Mode on Startup".

> > Here's why: Excel cannot display an inserted PDF without asking the help of

> > an already-installed copy of Reader or Acrobat, or other PDF-reading

> > program. Reader X, by default, wants to corral the opened file all to

> > itself, not allowing any other program to play with it. This is done for

> > security reasons.

> > The problem is that Excel is seen by Reader X to be a SECOND--and therefore

> > illegal--program attempting to access the PDF file at the same time as

> > Reader X (in violation of Protected Mode). So you need to disable Protected

> > Mode so Reader will allow other programs to work with the PDF at the same

> > time as Reader X.

> > --

> > Tegger

> I have adobe reader xi and they moved this to Edit->Preferences->Security (Enhanced) under Sandbox Protections you can UNcheck "Enable Protected Mode" and the solution will work.

Rudy- I also have the XI version and I did all of what you told me and it still isn't letting me insert pdf's into my excel documents. This didn't happen before the XI update.... SUPER frustrating as my job depends on this!

Anything else I can try? I'm not very tech savvy, what about uninstalling the XI version and installing another one?

HELP!!!

syedalisattam@gmail.com

      17th Aug 2014
On Friday, August 1, 2014 9:05:56 PM UTC+5, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 3, 2014 8:25:44 AM UTC-6, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:51:24 PM UTC-6, Tegger wrote:

> > > Just posting this in case it helps somebody somewhere...

> > > Situation: Excel hangs for a couple of minutes, then errors with this

> > > message:

> > > "Microsoft Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE

> > > action".

> > > Other Objects and Pictures can be inserted without problem.

> > > The problem seems to be Adobe Reader X, and possibly Adobe Acrobat Pro X as

> > > well (but I only have AAP 9.4, so cannot check to be sure).

> > > Adobe Reader X has a brand-new-to-Reader setting called "Protected Mode".

> > > This must be disabled in order for Excel to be able to insert PDFs into a

> > > spreadsheet.

> > > Disable "Protected Mode" this way:

> > > Go to Edit > Preferences > General, then UNcheck the box that says

> > > "Enable Protected Mode on Startup".

> > > Here's why: Excel cannot display an inserted PDF without asking the help of

> > > an already-installed copy of Reader or Acrobat, or other PDF-reading

> > > program. Reader X, by default, wants to corral the opened file all to

> > > itself, not allowing any other program to play with it. This is done for

> > > security reasons.

> > > The problem is that Excel is seen by Reader X to be a SECOND--and therefore

> > > illegal--program attempting to access the PDF file at the same time as

> > > Reader X (in violation of Protected Mode). So you need to disable Protected

> > > Mode so Reader will allow other programs to work with the PDF at the same

> > > time as Reader X.

> > > --

> > > Tegger

> > I have adobe reader xi and they moved this to Edit->Preferences->Security (Enhanced) under Sandbox Protections you can UNcheck "Enable Protected Mode" and the solution will work.

> Rudy- I also have the XI version and I did all of what you told me and it still isn't letting me insert pdf's into my excel documents. This didn't happen before the XI update.... SUPER frustrating as my job depends on this!
>

> Anything else I can try? I'm not very tech savvy, what about uninstalling the XI version and installing another one?
>

> HELP!!!

IT IS NOT WORKING WITH ME! I TRIED UNCHECKING THE BOX, THE ERROR STILL APPEARS, PLEASE HELP!