Can't get Printer Sharing Going

Peter Skinner

      24th Apr 2009
Hi (I run XP )

I just successfully networked two computers together, but I was unable to
get the printer to be seen by the computer that does not have the printer
directly attached to it.

On the computer that has the printer I have selected Share this printer.

On the computer that does not have the computer I followed these steps,
which have worked in the past.

http://udopage.com/xp/udopage_32.php

How ever I can not see the printer at all even though I can see the computer
that has the printer

http://udopage.com/xp/auto_art_125.gif

I'm a little lost as I believe I have done everything correctly.

P.S.

My Router has allowed printer sharing in the past..

Thank you..

Lem

      24th Apr 2009
Peter Skinner wrote:
> Hi (I run XP )
>
> I just successfully networked two computers together, but I was unable to
> get the printer to be seen by the computer that does not have the printer
> directly attached to it.
>
> On the computer that has the printer I have selected Share this printer.
>
> On the computer that does not have the computer I followed these steps,
> which have worked in the past.
>
> http://udopage.com/xp/udopage_32.php
>
> How ever I can not see the printer at all even though I can see the computer
> that has the printer
>
> http://udopage.com/xp/auto_art_125.gif
>
> I'm a little lost as I believe I have done everything correctly.
>
> P.S.
>
> My Router has allowed printer sharing in the past..
>
> Thank you..

Perhaps you weren't as successful in networking the computers as you
thought ... have you made sure that the firewall on *both* computers is
configured correctly and that only one firewall per computer is active?

Stock networking advice from MS-MVP Malke; take the parts that apply to you:

File/printer sharing

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
files and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including
a stateful firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls
such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or
3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup
machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not
permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
"gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
"Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup.
This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do
not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT
NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a
machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
home directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside
those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents
folder. See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by
exchanging a file between all machines), if you want to share a printer
connected locally to one of your computers, share it out from that
machine. Then go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest
drivers for the correct operating system(s). Install them on the target
machine(s). The printer should be seen during the installation routine.
If it is not, install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard.
In some instances, certain printers need to be installed as Local
printers but that is outside of this response.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

Peter Skinner

      29th Apr 2009
Thank You

I'm studying your reply.. I know the answer is there somewhere