I can't get the Malware protection to turn back on

dean-dean

      24th Mar 2007
Is System Restore an option? Your original post said that things were okay
in the not too distant past. Can you choose a Restore Point just prior to
the problem? The problem seems to reside in Security Center mis-reporting
things, and not particularly Windows Defender itself. I'm assuming WD is
working (manual scans, real time protection, etc.). Not much consolation, I
know. You can also turn off the Security Center nag notifications, but that
won't resolve the basic problem, of course.

"Vista is driving me nuts!" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>I couldn't stand it. Tried it all again and got the same (read NO)
>results.
> Aaaughhh.
>
> "Vista is driving me nuts!" wrote:
>
>> I turned off the "use real time protection" and I turned off "use Windows
>> Defender," Saved and restarted.
>>
>> The system told me that Defender was turned off. I went to Security
>> Center
>> & clicked "turn on now" for Defender. Again the Security Center
>> "searched
>> for "Security Center can't update definitions for Windows Defender" and
>> will
>> not turn on the Malware protection.
>>
>> I looked at the WD Tools/Options and both "real time" and "use WD" boxes
>> were checked.
>>
>> I'll try this whole routine again. If you don't hear from me, you will
>> know
>> that I got the same results & that I still have the original problems.
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>> "Bill Sanderson MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > Good idea, but I'd suggest a variation: The very last checkbox in the
>> > options list, I believe, is something like "use Windows Defender"
>> > That's
>> > the one I would uncheck.
>> >
>> > And I might actually do a restart before checking it again.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > "dean-dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?Ym9uZ2xpbV8yODk=?=

      28th Mar 2007

"Vista is driving me nuts!" wrote:

> After reading a whole lot of these posts, I have turned WU on and off,
> updated my WD definitions from within and without, but since a couple days
> ago (seems like forever) I cannot get Windows Security to turn on the Malware
> protection or find any virus protection. Purchased this !*@ computer 1/31,
> with Vista and WD installed.
>
> When I click the button to turn on Malware, it looks for new definitions,
> finds none, and won't turn on.
> Current:
> WD Verions 1.1.155.0
> Engine 1.1.2306.0
> Definition Version 1.16.2423.5 (previously 1.15.2336.7 & 1.16.2421.5)
>
> I'm not particularly techie, anymore, so step by step suggestions would be
> welcome.

I too share the same problem, WD is reported as turned OFF although its ON
and active. I tried all the kind suggestions in this thread to no avail.
Worse, even my AVAST anti-virus is reported as OFF when in fact it is ON and
active.

Were you able to resolve this problem?

=?Utf-8?B?RWZyYWluIE1vcmFsZXM=?=

      28th Mar 2007

Please check, under Administrative Tools, the Services and see if your
Windows Defender is set to Automatic and Started (if you don't use WLOC).
Restart.
Efrain

"Vista is driving me nuts!" wrote:

> After reading a whole lot of these posts, I have turned WU on and off,
> updated my WD definitions from within and without, but since a couple days
> ago (seems like forever) I cannot get Windows Security to turn on the Malware
> protection or find any virus protection. Purchased this !*@ computer 1/31,
> with Vista and WD installed.
>
> When I click the button to turn on Malware, it looks for new definitions,
> finds none, and won't turn on.
> Current:
> WD Verions 1.1.155.0
> Engine 1.1.2306.0
> Definition Version 1.16.2423.5 (previously 1.15.2336.7 & 1.16.2421.5)
>
> I'm not particularly techie, anymore, so step by step suggestions would be
> welcome.

=?Utf-8?B?bWF0dA==?=

      6th Apr 2007
Posted to show there are others with this problem.

I too cannot enable Windows Defender on my PC, it trys, scans for updates,
tells me no updates are to be found and is not enabled. I waited until new
defs were available and let the process run, the update occurred successfully
but Windows Defender was not started/set on.

"Vista is driving me nuts!" wrote:

> After reading a whole lot of these posts, I have turned WU on and off,
> updated my WD definitions from within and without, but since a couple days
> ago (seems like forever) I cannot get Windows Security to turn on the Malware
> protection or find any virus protection. Purchased this !*@ computer 1/31,
> with Vista and WD installed.
>
> When I click the button to turn on Malware, it looks for new definitions,
> finds none, and won't turn on.
> Current:
> WD Verions 1.1.155.0
> Engine 1.1.2306.0
> Definition Version 1.16.2423.5 (previously 1.15.2336.7 & 1.16.2421.5)
>
> I'm not particularly techie, anymore, so step by step suggestions would be
> welcome.

Dave M

      6th Apr 2007
Matt and others...

Don't let Vista drive you nuts.

This post from "tflink" in regard to WLOC but it should apply to Standalone
Windows Defender as well:

"I am running 32-bit Vista with Windows OneCare. After installing OneCare,
the Security Center alerted me that I did not have a firewall, virus or
spyware program running. It was obvious that I did. So, why did the
Security Center not recognize OneCare? Quick Answer... the WMI repository
was corrupt.
How did I fix it.

Run a cmd prompt as adiminstrator.

type the following command: winmgmt /verifyrepository

if the system returns "WMI repository is not consistent"

run this command: winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time you run this it will fail. It will issue stop commands to
the services causing it to fail. It might take a couple minutes for the
services to shut down. Run the command again. I actually ran it 3 times
before it finally ran and completed on its own.

Reboot your system.

Hope this helps someone."

So let us know if this helps you with your Vista problem with Defender...

--

Regards, Dave

matt wrote:
> Posted to show there are others with this problem.
>
> I too cannot enable Windows Defender on my PC, it trys, scans for
> updates,
> tells me no updates are to be found and is not enabled. I waited until
> new
> defs were available and let the process run, the update occurred
> successfully
> but Windows Defender was not started/set on.
>

> "Vista is driving me nuts!" wrote:
>
>> After reading a whole lot of these posts, I have turned WU on and off,
>> updated my WD definitions from within and without, but since a couple
>> days
>> ago (seems like forever) I cannot get Windows Security to turn on the
>> Malware
>> protection or find any virus protection. Purchased this !*@ computer
>> 1/31,
>> with Vista and WD installed.
>>
>> When I click the button to turn on Malware, it looks for new
>> definitions,
>> finds none, and won't turn on.
>> Current:
>> WD Verions 1.1.155.0
>> Engine 1.1.2306.0
>> Definition Version 1.16.2423.5 (previously 1.15.2336.7 & 1.16.2421.5)
>>
>> I'm not particularly techie, anymore, so step by step suggestions would
>> be
>> welcome.

=?Utf-8?B?QW5vbg==?=

      12th Apr 2007
Dave

I had the same problem and your fix worked a treat, many thanks

John

Dave M

      12th Apr 2007
Thanks for the feedback, John.

Good to hear that this fix for Vista worked. I don't think those specific
switches are available in XP or Server 2003, but most of these WMI
repository errors that confuse Security Center seem to be happening on
Vista (quite often) and this technique seems to be pretty gentle for that
system. Here's the command documentation:

Regards, Dave

Anon wrote:
> Dave
>
> I had the same problem and your fix worked a treat, many thanks
>
> John

New Member

      25th Sep 2007
trying to use the command above, but must be doing something wrong

first time i've tried to do something this techy

this is want i'm typing in:

C:\Users\Steven<command>winmgmt /verifyrepository

i get the following message:

The system cannot find the file specifed.

i have very little idea what i'm doing, so if someone could give me an idiot's guide, i'd be grateful

vista security thing is really annoying me: says my anitvirus and antispy aren't turned on

cheers

New Member

      28th Feb 2009
Found a simple solution from another forum geek which does work.

Go to;

Start
All Programmes
Accessories
Right Click on Command Prompt
Click on Run as Administrator
Box appears and type in winmgmt/salvagerepository
Enter
Box appears again and type in exit
Enter

Restart the 'puter and hopefully the security centre will show all monitoring is working.

Good Luck