I can't find my product key for Outlook 2003

BudV

      24th May 2006
I want to re-install Outlook 2003 under WinXP Home SP2, and I need the
product key.

I can't find either the original CD sleeve or the certificate of
authenticity. All I have is the orange CD with all the holograms.

Any help?

Roady [MVP]

      24th May 2006
If it's still installed you can use this application to look for your key;

Otherwise see;
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326246

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-FREE tool; QuickMail. Create new Outlook items anywhere from within Windows
-Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data

-----
"BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I want to re-install Outlook 2003 under WinXP Home SP2, and I need the
product key.

I can't find either the original CD sleeve or the certificate of
authenticity. All I have is the orange CD with all the holograms.

Any help?

BudV

      25th May 2006
I was not surprised to find that the key given to me by jellybean et al did
not work. The site said it was the key to install WinXP, and didn't mention
Outlook at all.

I went the second route and took my one chance for free email help. They
should get back to me tomorrow.

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If it's still installed you can use this application to look for your key;
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
>
> Otherwise see;
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326246
>
> --
> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
> www.howto-outlook.com
>
> Tips of the month:
> -FREE tool; QuickMail. Create new Outlook items anywhere from within
> Windows
> -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data
>
> -----
> "BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to re-install Outlook 2003 under WinXP Home SP2, and I need the
> product key.
>
> I can't find either the original CD sleeve or the certificate of
> authenticity. All I have is the orange CD with all the holograms.
>
> Any help?

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      25th May 2006
key finder should find the office keys too.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(E-Mail Removed)

"BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was not surprised to find that the key given to me by jellybean et al did
>not work. The site said it was the key to install WinXP, and didn't
>mention Outlook at all.
>
> I went the second route and took my one chance for free email help. They
> should get back to me tomorrow.
>
> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If it's still installed you can use this application to look for your
>> key;
>> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
>>
>> Otherwise see;
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326246
>>
>> --
>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>> www.howto-outlook.com
>>
>> Tips of the month:
>> -FREE tool; QuickMail. Create new Outlook items anywhere from within
>> Windows
>> -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data
>>
>> -----
>> "BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I want to re-install Outlook 2003 under WinXP Home SP2, and I need the
>> product key.
>>
>> I can't find either the original CD sleeve or the certificate of
>> authenticity. All I have is the orange CD with all the holograms.
>>
>> Any help?

BudV

      25th May 2006
Right you are, but the problem is that I didn't purchase the entire OfficeXP
package -- I purchased Outlook 2003 as an independent product. Keyfinder
looks for OfficeXP and, of course, doesn't find it.

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> key finder should find the office keys too.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was not surprised to find that the key given to me by jellybean et al
>>did not work. The site said it was the key to install WinXP, and didn't
>>mention Outlook at all.
>>
>> I went the second route and took my one chance for free email help. They
>> should get back to me tomorrow.
>>
>> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
>> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If it's still installed you can use this application to look for your
>>> key;
>>> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
>>>
>>> Otherwise see;
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326246
>>>
>>> --
>>> Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
>>> www.howto-outlook.com
>>>
>>> Tips of the month:
>>> -FREE tool; QuickMail. Create new Outlook items anywhere from within
>>> Windows
>>> -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data
>>>
>>> -----
>>> "BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I want to re-install Outlook 2003 under WinXP Home SP2, and I need the
>>> product key.
>>>
>>> I can't find either the original CD sleeve or the certificate of
>>> authenticity. All I have is the orange CD with all the holograms.
>>>
>>> Any help?

ihatespam@ihatespam.com

      25th May 2006
BudV wrote:
> Right you are, but the problem is that I didn't purchase the entire OfficeXP
> package -- I purchased Outlook 2003 as an independent product. Keyfinder
> looks for OfficeXP and, of course, doesn't find it.
>
> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> key finder should find the office keys too.
>>
>> --
>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)

>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>

>> "BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I was not surprised to find that the key given to me by jellybean et al
>>> did not work. The site said it was the key to install WinXP, and didn't
>>> mention Outlook at all.
>>>
>>> I went the second route and took my one chance for free email help. They
>>> should get back to me tomorrow.
>>>
>>> "Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net> wrote
>>> in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Can't you just navigate to the registry entry - thats basically what key
finders do - isn't it?

Lee

BudV

      25th May 2006
Ordinarily, I stay as far away as possible from the registry because
altering it scares the bejabbers out of me. Since I'm doing a read-only,
I'll give it a try.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EPldg.726$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Can't you just navigate to the registry entry - thats basically what key
> finders do - isn't it?
>
> Lee

> BudV wrote:
>> Right you are, but the problem is that I didn't purchase the entire
>> OfficeXP package -- I purchased Outlook 2003 as an independent product.
>> Keyfinder looks for OfficeXP and, of course, doesn't find it.
>>
>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> key finder should find the office keys too.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>>> Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours
>>> Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide)
>>> Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/
>>>
>>> Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
>>> Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
>>> Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:
>>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>>

>>> "BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      25th May 2006
I don't think it's exposed as usable text -
http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/new_cdkey.htm should give you an idea
where to look.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(E-Mail Removed)

"BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ordinarily, I stay as far away as possible from the registry because
> altering it scares the bejabbers out of me. Since I'm doing a read-only,
> I'll give it a try.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EPldg.726$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Can't you just navigate to the registry entry - thats basically what key
>> finders do - isn't it?
>>
>> Lee

>> BudV wrote:
>>> Right you are, but the problem is that I didn't purchase the entire
>>> OfficeXP package -- I purchased Outlook 2003 as an independent product.
>>> Keyfinder looks for OfficeXP and, of course, doesn't find it.
>>>
>>> "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

BudV

      26th May 2006
It's not exposed as usable text. I got as far as exporting the Registration
registry key (from your link) and printed 18 pages of stuff. 17 pages was
the contents of "Current1" -- total gobbledegook. The rest was mostly hex .
(Hex doesn't bother me. I learned about hex when I started my programming
career in 1957.) Nowhere did it say "Product Key". There was Product ID,
DigitalProductID, ProductNameBrand, ProductName, ProductNameNonQualified,
OutlookName, OutlookNameVersion, et al, but no ProductKey, and nothing was
25 characters long. I don't suppose that your book can help me with this
problem?

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't think it's exposed as usable text -
>http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/new_cdkey.htm should give you an idea
>where to look.
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "BudV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ordinarily, I stay as far away as possible from the registry because
>> altering it scares the bejabbers out of me. Since I'm doing a
>> read-only, I'll give it a try.
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:EPldg.726$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Can't you just navigate to the registry entry - thats basically what key
>>> finders do - isn't it?

BudV

      26th May 2006
Okay, it's all over. It cost me $10 that MS charged me to "calculate" a
valid product key for Outlook.

According to the MS employee I talked to. the Product Key is NOT SAVED IN
THE REGISTRY, or anywhere else, for that matter. It is a set of 25 bytes,
with check bytes, that is oriented to a particular product; i.e., a WinXP
product key won't work for installing Outlook (I know, I tried). It's sole
purpose is to pass the installation program's checking. It's not saved
anywhere for future installations to match against.

If this is true, then Keyfinder isn't "finding" anything -- it's calculating
a Product Key. Frankly, I'm suspicious about this conclusion, and I welcome
further commentary from people in the know.