Can't find DNS MMC

=?Utf-8?B?c2VtaQ==?=

      18th Nov 2007
Hi - I had a PDC go down that hosted DNS. I promoted my BDC and now want to
configure DNS.

When I go to Windows components under networking details the DNS box is
ticked liked it's install already.

When I go to admin tools the DNS MMC is not there.

Is there another way to tell if DNS is already running and check it's
configuration?

I don't really want to remove it if it is running and confirued already
without checking how it's configured.

Thanks heaps

Ace Fekay [MVP]

      18th Nov 2007
In news:(E-Mail Removed),
semi <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> Hi - I had a PDC go down that hosted DNS. I promoted my BDC and now
> want to configure DNS.
>
> When I go to Windows components under networking details the DNS box
> is ticked liked it's install already.
>
> When I go to admin tools the DNS MMC is not there.
>
> Is there another way to tell if DNS is already running and check it's
> configuration?
>
> I don't really want to remove it if it is running and confirued
> already without checking how it's configured.
>
> Thanks heaps

You promoted a BDC?? Is this NT4 you're talking about?

If this is Win2000 or 2003, and you lost ONE OF your domain controllers
which was also hosting DNS but not on the one that was left, and assuming
the zone was AD integrated, then yes, install DNS and the zone will
automatically populate without any further action on your part.

However, if you are saying you created a whole new domain controller with
the same name as the original domain, then yes, dcpromo will want to
configure DNS for you or you install DNS for it. Keep in mind however that
this new domain, even though it is the same name, is completely different
then the original domain because the SIDs are different.

The part that doesn;t make sense if you are talking about 2000 or 2003 is
the 'promoted a BDC' part. Therefore I belive at this juncture, to better
assist you, please describe what exactly happened, how many domain
controllers did you have, the original name, the new name (if iapplicable),
and any and all actual steps you performed with clear details? This will
clear up everything.

Thanks,

--
Regards,
Ace

confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT,
MVP Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations

=?Utf-8?B?c2VtaQ==?=

      19th Nov 2007

I had 1 Windows SBS 2000 running DNS as the primary and 1 Windows 2000
server running as a Backup domain controller.

The SBS went down - it's now decommissioned.

I seized the roles that I needed to with the Windows 2000 server and it
looks as if everything is working OK. I am able to create new users and such
where as I was not able to before…

I brought up a new Windows 2000 server to run as a BDC. I tried to add it
to the Domain but was not able to – got this message:

Network Identification error – this condition may be caused by a DNS lookup
problem.

Now I would like to work on the DNS part. On the W2K server running as a
primary, when I go to control panel, add software, windows components,
network services…

I just noticed something – before, I ticked the box for network services
then click on details – it came up with DNS installed already. My mistake, I
should of highlighted network services then details. When I do that, DNS is
not installed….that is what threw me off. I thought DNS was already running
on this server. That explains why I couldn’t find the MMC under admin tools…

I am going to add DNS and try to configure it on this server and see what
happens.

Sorry.

I have a question though, if I am only running DNS on 1 server – should I
still select “enable active directory integrated DNS”?

Thanks heaps

mark
"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> lookup problem.
>
> Now I would like to work on the DNS part. On the W2K server running
> as a primary, when I go to control panel, add software, windows
> components, network services.
>
> I just noticed something - before, I ticked the box for network
> services then click on details - it came up with DNS installed
> already. My mistake, I should of highlighted network services then
> details. When I do that, DNS is not installed..that is what threw me
> off. I thought DNS was already running on this server. That
> explains why I couldn't find the MMC under admin tools.
>
> I am going to add DNS and try to configure it on this server and see
> what happens.
>
> Sorry.
>
> I have a question though, if I am only running DNS on 1 server -
> should I still select "enable active directory integrated DNS"?

I see. First, I would like to mention that the names called 'PDC' and 'BDC'
no longer exist. They are NT4 terms. What you did is created a replica DC in
the SBS domain. No problem.

As far as the AD Integrated zones, do you know if the zone was AD integrated
on the SBS box? If so, all you have to do is install DNS and open the
console and step back. Do not touch anything else. Do not attempt to create
the zone either. If the zone WAS AD integrated, give it about 15 to 30
minutes and then the zone will pop up like magic. This is because "AD
Integrated" means the zone is actually stored in the actual AD database and
gets replicated to all DCs. Therefore the 2000 DC has a copy of it.
Installing DNS will make it appear in the console.

Now if the zone was not AD integrated, then you will have lost all the data
and you will need to manually create the zone, make it allow updates, then
run the following commands to register the data into the zone:
ipconfig /registerdns
net stop netlogon
net start netlogon

Now once the zone exists and the records exist, now you can force the roles
over to the new DC. Make it a GC too.

Also either way you handle the DNS issue, it is now extermely important for
you to remove the reference to the old DC from the AD domain by running what
we call a Metadata Cleanup using NTDSUTIL. Following this article for a
how-to.

How to remove data in Active Directory after an unsuccessful:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498

Ace