Can't enable Direct3D acceleration.

JMI

      27th Jul 2005
Hello,

I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what happened
but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run Unreal
Tournament 2004 I get the message:

"Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag
and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after installing
DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."

None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to the
Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
unavailable.

I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
card.

I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

Bill

      27th Jul 2005
In article <dc8u1s$9et2$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hello,
>
> I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what happened
> but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run Unreal
> Tournament 2004 I get the message:
>
> "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag
> and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after installing
> DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."
>
> None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to the
> Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
> Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
> unavailable.
>
> I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
> card.
>
> I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
> noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
> much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Do you have the agp driver for whatever chipset your MB is running
installed? It would help if you gave more information about your
hardware setup.

Bill

JMI

      28th Jul 2005
Here are my system specs:

2.8 Ghz Dell Dimension 4500
1 Gig of RAM
1 36Gig Western Digtial Raptor 10,000 RPM drive
1 250Gig Maxtor 7200RPM w/16mb cache
1 8x Sony DVD-RW
1 Lite-On 52X CD-RW
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
256MB Sapphire 9600XT

I've got the latest motherboard chipset installed. I've had this card for
over a year and I've never had this happen. I'm not using "the latest" ATI
drivers since ATI recommends having Service Pack 2 installed (which I do
not).

I don't understand why all of a sudden I would loose 3D acceleration
capability when its worked fine without having to do anything special for
well over a year.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff

> In article <dc8u1s$9et2$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what

happened
> > but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run

Unreal
> > Tournament 2004 I get the message:
> >
> > "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting

dxdiag
> > and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after

installing
> > DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."
> >
> > None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to

the
> > Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
> > Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
> > unavailable.
> >
> > I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
> > card.
> >
> > I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
> > noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
> > much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
> >
> > Ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> Do you have the agp driver for whatever chipset your MB is running
> installed? It would help if you gave more information about your
> hardware setup.
>
> Bill

Bill

      28th Jul 2005
In article <dc95eo$9jdr$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <dc8u1s$9et2$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what

> happened
> > > but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run

> Unreal
> > > Tournament 2004 I get the message:
> > >
> > > "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting

> dxdiag
> > > and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after

> installing
> > > DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."
> > >
> > > None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to

> the
> > > Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
> > > Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
> > > unavailable.
> > >
> > > I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
> > > card.
> > >
> > > I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
> > > noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
> > > much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
> > >
> > > Ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jeff
> > >

> > Do you have the agp driver for whatever chipset your MB is running
> > installed? It would help if you gave more information about your
> > hardware setup.
> >
> > Bill

Top posting fixed.

> Here are my system specs:
>
> 2.8 Ghz Dell Dimension 4500
> 1 Gig of RAM
> 1 36Gig Western Digtial Raptor 10,000 RPM drive
> 1 250Gig Maxtor 7200RPM w/16mb cache
> 1 8x Sony DVD-RW
> 1 Lite-On 52X CD-RW
> Sound Blaster Audigy 2
> 256MB Sapphire 9600XT
>
> I've got the latest motherboard chipset installed. I've had this card for
> over a year and I've never had this happen. I'm not using "the latest" ATI
> drivers since ATI recommends having Service Pack 2 installed (which I do
> not).
>
> I don't understand why all of a sudden I would loose 3D acceleration
> capability when its worked fine without having to do anything special for
> well over a year.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

If I understand you correctly, you had 3d acceleration on your system
then lost it and it won't re-install.

Do you know what motherboard is used in your system?
Manufacturer/model?

What was the last software/hardware that you installed before your
systems 3D crapped out?

Have you tried doing a system restore to a known good previous
configuration?

Other problems that come to mind: corrupted files, virus,
adware/spyware/malware.

De-install the drivers/software before re-installing them.
Do this as Administrator.

Run Ad-Aware, < http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/Spybot >
Search and Destroy
< http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html >, and a virus
checker with current virus definitions. Avast and AVG are free for
personal use < AVG http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 >
< Avast http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html >.

Why have you not installed WinXP Service pack 2?

Please don't top post. It makes it hard for people to follow the flow
of the post when they are looking for answers in a Google search of
Usenet.

Bill

LM

      28th Jul 2005
Hi. This maybe a bit far fetched, but what about your system cache
settings. (swap file)
I once got this kind of problem when I increasead system cache to 2G.
Ati writes about problems with large memory in some display driver
readme's, maybe this is it.

Now my system cache is about 1533M

My machine:
Xp pro sp2
Ati club 9800 pro 128
1G ram
3 hard drives

LM

First of One

      28th Jul 2005
I get this problem whenever I update my Catalyst drivers, but it goes away
after two reboots.

Go to Start -> Run and type "services.msc". Make sure the process ATISmart
is set to "automatic"

"JMI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dc8u1s$9et2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know what happened
> but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try to run Unreal
> Tournament 2004 I get the message:
>
> "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by starting dxdiag
> and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after installing
> DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you graphics card."
>
> None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag and go to the
> Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says "Not
> Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration. All are
> unavailable.
>
> I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 video
> card.
>
> I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too. I've also
> noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since everything takes
> much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Shawk

      28th Jul 2005

"JMI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dc95eo$9jdr$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've got the latest motherboard chipset installed.

Have you reinstalled them recently? Particularly the AGP chipset ones? If
not do that and report back. Also reinstall DirectX

Shawk

      4th Oct 2005

"galrumbak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "" wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know
> > what happened
> > but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try
> > to run Unreal
> > Tournament 2004 I get the message:
> >
> > "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by
> > starting dxdiag
> > and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after
> > installing
> > DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you
> > graphics card."
> >
> > None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag
> > and go to the
> > Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says
> > "Not
> > Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration.
> > All are
> > unavailable.
> >
> > I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256
> > video
> > card.
> >
> > I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too.
> > I've also
> > noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since
> > everything takes
> > much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
> >
> > Ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff

> JMI
>
> I have the same problem - all the accleration in dxdiag are N/A
> more over we have the exact same card - sapphire reddon 9600 xt 256mb,
>
> well if you did manege to fix this please contact me - I have been
> fighting this for a mounth with no sucess.
>
> Gal
>
> galrumbak RemoveThis @yahoo.com

This normally means you have to re-install your mobo drivers...

Jeff Ingram

      10th Oct 2005
Miraculously, all I did was reinstall the video drivers one more time and
that seems to have fixed it except I think there is a problem with 2D
acceleration. I have no problem playing games like Unreal Tournament 2004
and getting 60+ frames per second, but I've notice that anytime I drag a
window (any window) around the screen my CPU usage spikes. So I think it's
only sorta fix.......(?)

Jeff

"galrumbak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "" wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I can't seem to enable Direct3D acceleration. I don't know
> > what happened
> > but all of a sudden I can't run any of my games. When I try
> > to run Unreal
> > Tournament 2004 I get the message:
> >
> > "Please enable Direct3D acceleration. You can do this by
> > starting dxdiag
> > and enabling Direct3D Aceleration in the Display 1/2 tab after
> > installing
> > DirectX 8.1b (or later) and the latest drivers for you
> > graphics card."
> >
> > None of my other games will work eithere.When I open dxdiag
> > and go to the
> > Display tab, under DirectX Features Direct3D Acceleration says
> > "Not
> > Available" along with DirectDraw and AGP Texture Acceleration.
> > All are
> > unavailable.
> >
> > I have DirectX 9.0c installed and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256
> > video
> > card.
> >
> > I've tried reinstalling the video drivers and DirectX too.
> > I've also
> > noticed that 2d accleration must be suffering too since
> > everything takes
> > much longer to redraw on my Windows XP desktop.
> >
> > Ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff

> JMI
>
> I have the same problem - all the accleration in dxdiag are N/A
> more over we have the exact same card - sapphire reddon 9600 xt 256mb,
>
> well if you did manege to fix this please contact me - I have been
> fighting this for a mounth with no sucess.
>
> Gal
>
> galrumbak RemoveThis @yahoo.com

request
> Topic URL:

http://www.hardwareforumz.com/ATI-en...pict59591.html

http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=316845

patrickp

      10th Oct 2005
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:17:44 -0400, "Jeff Ingram" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Miraculously, all I did was reinstall the video drivers one more time and
>that seems to have fixed it except I think there is a problem with 2D
>acceleration. I have no problem playing games like Unreal Tournament 2004
>and getting 60+ frames per second, but I've notice that anytime I drag a
>window (any window) around the screen my CPU usage spikes. So I think it's
>only sorta fix.......(?)
>
>Jeff

<snjp>

Sounds like you need to go to Display Properties -> Effects and
deselect Show window contents while dragging, Jeff.

Patrick

<(E-Mail Removed)> - take five to email me...