Can't Detect Network Printer

=?Utf-8?B?cGlzdG9sYW5kcmFwaWVy?=

      3rd Aug 2006
I'm using a standard wired network to connect my laptop and desktop. I have a
hp deskjet 845c attached by usb to the desktop. I've enabled printer sharing
on the network and shared the printer through the properties menu but for
some reason my laptop won't detect the printer. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Peter Sklodowski

      3rd Aug 2006
Hi there, are both computers part of the same workgroup?
Peter

"pistolandrapier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using a standard wired network to connect my laptop and desktop. I
> have a
> hp deskjet 845c attached by usb to the desktop. I've enabled printer
> sharing
> on the network and shared the printer through the properties menu but for
> some reason my laptop won't detect the printer. Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,

=?Utf-8?B?cGlzdG9sYW5kcmFwaWVy?=

      4th Aug 2006
I don't know, how could i find out, and if not how could i make them part of
the same workgroup?

"Peter Sklodowski" wrote:

> Hi there, are both computers part of the same workgroup?
> Peter
>

> "pistolandrapier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm using a standard wired network to connect my laptop and desktop. I
> > have a
> > hp deskjet 845c attached by usb to the desktop. I've enabled printer
> > sharing
> > on the network and shared the printer through the properties menu but for
> > some reason my laptop won't detect the printer. Can anyone help?
> >
> > Thanks,

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

      4th Aug 2006
Run the Network Setup Wizard.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"pistolandrapier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't know, how could i find out, and if not how could i make them part
>of
> the same workgroup?
>
> "Peter Sklodowski" wrote:
>
>> Hi there, are both computers part of the same workgroup?
>> Peter
>>

>> "pistolandrapier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I'm using a standard wired network to connect my laptop and desktop. I
>> > have a
>> > hp deskjet 845c attached by usb to the desktop. I've enabled printer
>> > sharing
>> > on the network and shared the printer through the properties menu but
>> > for
>> > some reason my laptop won't detect the printer. Can anyone help?
>> >
>> > Thanks,

Peter Sklodowski

      4th Aug 2006
Hi there shootandslash ;-), to ascertain if both computers are part of
the same workgroup simultaneously press Windows key and Pause/Break key =>
Computer Name tab, the workgroup will be shown. To change the name of the
workgroup click on: Change and then you will be able to alter the name.
I would suggest though that you run the Network Setup Wizard as Cari
suggested earlier. This will ensure that your network is configured
correctly.
Hope this helps,
Peter

"pistolandrapier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't know, how could i find out, and if not how could i make them part
>of
> the same workgroup?
>
> "Peter Sklodowski" wrote:
>
>> Hi there, are both computers part of the same workgroup?
>> Peter
>>

>> "pistolandrapier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I'm using a standard wired network to connect my laptop and desktop. I
>> > have a
>> > hp deskjet 845c attached by usb to the desktop. I've enabled printer
>> > sharing
>> > on the network and shared the printer through the properties menu but
>> > for
>> > some reason my laptop won't detect the printer. Can anyone help?
>> >
>> > Thanks,

=?Utf-8?B?cGlzdG9sYW5kcmFwaWVy?=

      9th Aug 2006
I did both those things, ran the wizard and checked the workgroups. Both
computers are part of the same workgroup. It's still not working though.

"Peter Sklodowski" wrote:

> Hi there shootandslash ;-), to ascertain if both computers are part of
> the same workgroup simultaneously press Windows key and Pause/Break key =>
> Computer Name tab, the workgroup will be shown. To change the name of the
> workgroup click on: Change and then you will be able to alter the name.
> I would suggest though that you run the Network Setup Wizard as Cari
> suggested earlier. This will ensure that your network is configured
> correctly.
> Hope this helps,
> Peter
>

> "pistolandrapier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I don't know, how could i find out, and if not how could i make them part
> >of
> > the same workgroup?
> >
> > "Peter Sklodowski" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there, are both computers part of the same workgroup?
> >> Peter
> >>

> >> "pistolandrapier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

      10th Aug 2006
And the printer in question is actually shared? With a 'legal' name?

http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_Five.htm
www.coribright.com/Windows