Can't delete a registry key

Dave Rado

      30th Dec 2006
I was trying to uninstall an Epson printer driver for the 830U. In
"Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs" there was an item called "Epson
Printer Software". If I clicked "Change/Remove" for it, a dialog poped
up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson Stylus Photo 830U
Series" highlighted. If I clicked "OK", it said "Uninstall complete";
but it hadn't uninstalled anything - "Epson Printer Software" was still
in the "Add/Remove Programs" list, and if I clicked "Change/Remove"
again, the
same dialog popped up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson
Stylus Photo 830U Series" still highlighted. I posted in
comp.periphs.printers and they suggested deleting all registry entries
with the word "Epson" in, which I have now tried, but there are some
registry entries that I can't delete! When I try to delete any of the
following keys I get the following error message: ""Cannot delete
EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key." The keys are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830*U

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830*U

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo*_830U

I have tried running CCleaner and have also tried deleting the keys
while in safe mode, but they keys still won't let themselves be
deleted! There are no pending jobs in the print queue. Any ideas?

Dave

Shepİ

      30th Dec 2006
On 30 Dec 2006 03:53:22 -0800 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With Yang
then "Dave Rado" <(E-Mail Removed)> sent this :

>I was trying to uninstall an Epson printer driver for the 830U. In
>"Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs" there was an item called "Epson
>Printer Software". If I clicked "Change/Remove" for it, a dialog poped
>up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson Stylus Photo 830U
>Series" highlighted. If I clicked "OK", it said "Uninstall complete";
>but it hadn't uninstalled anything - "Epson Printer Software" was still
>in the "Add/Remove Programs" list, and if I clicked "Change/Remove"
>again, the
>same dialog popped up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson
>Stylus Photo 830U Series" still highlighted. I posted in
>comp.periphs.printers and they suggested deleting all registry entries
>with the word "Epson" in, which I have now tried, but there are some
>registry entries that I can't delete! When I try to delete any of the
>following keys I get the following error message: ""Cannot delete
>EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key." The keys are:
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830*U
>

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830*U
>

>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo*_830U
>

>I have tried running CCleaner and have also tried deleting the keys
>while in safe mode, but they keys still won't let themselves be
>deleted! There are no pending jobs in the print queue. Any ideas?
>
>Dave

This is one reason I've stopped using Epson printers.There's drivers
are badly written.I had to do a clean re-install of the O/S to get rid
of all the epson drivers and their entries.I tried everything and this
was my final re-course.I did not re-format.If this is win98 then,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/clean.html

If winXP you may get away with a repair install,

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=88558

JAD

      30th Dec 2006

"Dave Rado" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

remove all 'USB composite' entries in the device manager then reboot and windows will rebuild
the USB drivers then you should be able remove the software.

Dave Rado

      30th Dec 2006
Hi JAD

JAD wrote:
> "Dave Rado" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was trying to uninstall an Epson printer driver for the 830U. In
> "Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs" there was an item called "Epson
> Printer Software". If I clicked "Change/Remove" for it, a dialog poped
> up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson Stylus Photo 830U
> Series" highlighted. If I clicked "OK", it said "Uninstall complete";
> but it hadn't uninstalled anything - "Epson Printer Software" was still
> in the "Add/Remove Programs" list, and if I clicked "Change/Remove"
> again, the
> same dialog popped up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson
> Stylus Photo 830U Series" still highlighted. I posted in
> comp.periphs.printers and they suggested deleting all registry entries
> with the word "Epson" in, which I have now tried, but there are some
> registry entries that I can't delete! When I try to delete any of the
> following keys I get the following error message: "Cannot delete
> EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key." The keys are:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830*U
>

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830*U
>

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo*_830U
>

> I have tried running CCleaner and have also tried deleting the keys
> while in safe mode, but they keys still won't let themselves be
> deleted! There are no pending jobs in the print queue. Any ideas?
>
> Dave
>

> remove all 'USB composite' entries in the device manager then reboot and windows will rebuild
> the USB drivers then you should be able remove the software.

I can't find any entries in Device Manager that contain the text "USB
Composite". However, if I delete all of the USB-related entries that I
*can* find, which are called "USB Root Hub" and "ALi PCI to USB Open
Host Controller", then reboot, then wait for the drivers I deleted to
rebuild, and then try to delete those registry entries again, I still
get the error message: "Cannot delete EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error
while deleting key."

Is there anything else I can try?

Dave

JAD wrote:
> "Dave Rado" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was trying to uninstall an Epson printer driver for the 830U. In
> "Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs" there was an item called "Epson
> Printer Software". If I clicked "Change/Remove" for it, a dialog poped
> up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson Stylus Photo 830U
> Series" highlighted. If I clicked "OK", it said "Uninstall complete";
> but it hadn't uninstalled anything - "Epson Printer Software" was still
> in the "Add/Remove Programs" list, and if I clicked "Change/Remove"
> again, the
> same dialog popped up with a "Printer Model" tab, and with "Epson
> Stylus Photo 830U Series" still highlighted. I posted in
> comp.periphs.printers and they suggested deleting all registry entries
> with the word "Epson" in, which I have now tried, but there are some
> registry entries that I can't delete! When I try to delete any of the
> following keys I get the following error message: "Cannot delete
> EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key." The keys are:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830*U
>

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_830*U
>

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo*_830U
>

> I have tried running CCleaner and have also tried deleting the keys
> while in safe mode, but they keys still won't let themselves be
> deleted! There are no pending jobs in the print queue. Any ideas?
>
> Dave
>

> remove all 'USB composite' entries in the device manager then reboot and windows will rebuild
> the USB drivers then you should be able remove the software.

I can't find any entries in Device Manager that contain the text "USB
Composite". However, if I delete all of the USB-related entries that I
*can* find, which are called "USB Root Hub" and "ALi PCI to USB Open
Host Controller", then reboot, then wait for the drivers I deleted to
rebuild, and then try to delete those registry entries again, I still
get the error message: "Cannot delete EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error
while deleting key."

Is there anything else I can try?

Dave
With the offending registry key highlighted, select 'Security > Permissions'
from the menu and set the permissions back to 'Everyone - Full Control', then
you will be allowed to delete it. Be aware that you may need to tick the box for
'replace on all sub-keys' as well, if the key you are trying to delete has
subkeys underneath it - a locked key further down the branch you are trying to
kill will cause the same 'refused' symptoms you described.

Use extreme care of course !

Hope this helps,

T Shadow

      31st Dec 2006
[...]

I've had luck in this situation by installing before uninstalling. Sounds
screwy but it recreates the instalation and hopefull fixes the problem. Have
never done it where USB was involved though. Good Luck.

nobody@nospam.com

      1st Jan 2007
On 30 Dec 2006 03:53:22 -0800, "Dave Rado" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I posted in
>comp.periphs.printers and they suggested deleting all registry entries
>with the word "Epson" in, which I have now tried, but there are some
>registry entries that I can't delete! When I try to delete any of the
>following keys I get the following error message: ""Cannot delete
>EPSONStylus_Photo_830U. Error while deleting key." The keys are:

>I have tried running CCleaner and have also tried deleting the keys
>while in safe mode, but they keys still won't let themselves be
>deleted! There are no pending jobs in the print queue. Any ideas?
>
>Dave

there's regedit.exe and there's regedt32.exe that you'll find in
C:\WINNT\system32.

regedt32.exe has deleted stuff for me that regedit won't.