Can't delete dotnet folder on slave drive

Randy G

      21st Apr 2008
I have a folder I can't seem to get rid of on my secondary drive. I
can rename the highest level folder, but can't delete it or any of the
files in it.

I tried deleting in safe mode, using Unlocker, logging in as admin,
even tried safe mode with the command prompt. I finally renamed it zzz
to get it out of the way, but it is still there.

I get the Cannot delete xxx - Access is denied error message when
trying to delete.

It has something to do with dotnet, but I have run out of ideas. It is
on my secondary drive, and Unlocker has no handle attached to it.

I reimaged my computer about a month ago when I was having problems
with dotnet, now I can't even delete the folder.

Even when I try to change the folder and files from read only, I get
an access is denied.

Here is the path, it contains some of the files listed below, plus a
few others. Any idea?

E:\zzz\wcu\dotNetFramework\dotNetFX20
ASPNET.msp, clr.msp, crt.msp

Thank you

Jim

      21st Apr 2008

"Randy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a folder I can't seem to get rid of on my secondary drive. I
> can rename the highest level folder, but can't delete it or any of the
> files in it.
>
> I tried deleting in safe mode, using Unlocker, logging in as admin,
> even tried safe mode with the command prompt. I finally renamed it zzz
> to get it out of the way, but it is still there.
>
> I get the Cannot delete xxx - Access is denied error message when
> trying to delete.
>
> It has something to do with dotnet, but I have run out of ideas. It is
> on my secondary drive, and Unlocker has no handle attached to it.
>
> I reimaged my computer about a month ago when I was having problems
> with dotnet, now I can't even delete the folder.
>
> Even when I try to change the folder and files from read only, I get
> an access is denied.
>
> Here is the path, it contains some of the files listed below, plus a
> few others. Any idea?
>
> E:\zzz\wcu\dotNetFramework\dotNetFX20
> ASPNET.msp, clr.msp, crt.msp
>
> Thank you

What are the permissions on this folder and files?
The readonly attribute of the folder has nothing to do with your problem.
In fact, this attribute on a folder has nothing much to do with anything.
Changing the readonly attribute of the files does not override permissions.
You may need to take ownership of the folder and files to delete them.
Jim

Randy G

      23rd Apr 2008
On Apr 21, 11:56 am, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What are the permissions on this folder and files?
> The readonly attribute of the folder has nothing to do with your problem.
> In fact, this attribute on a folder has nothing much to do with anything.
> Changing the readonly attribute of the files does not override permissions.
> You may need to take ownership of the folder and files to delete them.
> Jim

Thank you so much Jim - that did the trick. I had the Simple Sharing
option on, when I unchecked Simple sharing I could see nobody had
access to it. I changed it to full access for Admin and could delete
it.

This was bugging me for some time!

Brendan

      3rd May 2008
I am having the same problem but there is not SECURITY tab available. I have
been to the Microsoft site and seen the below instructions:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab, and then click to clear the Use simple file sharing
[Recommended] check box in the Advanced settings box.

However, I do not have a "Appearance and Themes" icon in my control panel.
Any ideas?

Nepatsfan

      3rd May 2008
"Brendan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am having the same problem but there is not SECURITY tab available. I have
> been to the Microsoft site and seen the below instructions:
>
> 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
> 2. Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.
> 3. Click the View tab, and then click to clear the Use simple file sharing
> [Recommended] check box in the Advanced settings box.
>
> However, I do not have a "Appearance and Themes" icon in my control panel.
> Any ideas?

First off, the procedure you outlined above is used to gain access to the
Security tab on a system running XP Professional. If you have XP Home Edition
installed on your computer, you'll need to boot into Safe Mode to access the
Security tab on a folder's properties sheet.

As for your question, Appearance and Themes is one of the categories listed when
you have Control Panel configured for Category view. It sounds like you have
Control Panel configured for Classic View. If that's the case, you should see
the Folder Options icon in the right hand pane.

If you're still having trouble launching Folder Options, try either of the
following;

1. Open My Computer. Click on the Tools menu on the toolbar at the top of the
window. Select Folder Options from the menu that drops down.

2. Go to Start and click on Run. In the Open box enter control folders. Click
OK.

If you're trying to take ownership of a folder, you may find these articles
helpful.

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Brendan

      3rd May 2008
Nothing works. Even in safe mode, there is no security tab showing.

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> "Brendan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am having the same problem but there is not SECURITY tab available. I have
> > been to the Microsoft site and seen the below instructions:
> >
> > 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
> > 2. Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.
> > 3. Click the View tab, and then click to clear the Use simple file sharing
> > [Recommended] check box in the Advanced settings box.
> >
> > However, I do not have a "Appearance and Themes" icon in my control panel.
> > Any ideas?

> First off, the procedure you outlined above is used to gain access to the
> Security tab on a system running XP Professional. If you have XP Home Edition
> installed on your computer, you'll need to boot into Safe Mode to access the
> Security tab on a folder's properties sheet.
>
> As for your question, Appearance and Themes is one of the categories listed when
> you have Control Panel configured for Category view. It sounds like you have
> Control Panel configured for Classic View. If that's the case, you should see
> the Folder Options icon in the right hand pane.
>
> If you're still having trouble launching Folder Options, try either of the
> following;
>
> 1. Open My Computer. Click on the Tools menu on the toolbar at the top of the
> window. Select Folder Options from the menu that drops down.
>
> 2. Go to Start and click on Run. In the Open box enter control folders. Click
> OK.
>
> If you're trying to take ownership of a folder, you may find these articles
> helpful.
>
> "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881
>
> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

Nepatsfan

      3rd May 2008
Open My Computer. Right click on the drive in question. Select Properties from
the menu. On the General page, note what's listed under File System. If it says
FAT32, then you won't see a Security tab under any circumstances. The drive
would have to be using NTFS in order to have a Security tab.

A drive that's been formatted FAT32 can be converted to NTFS. Take a look at
this article for more info.

Courtesy of Alex Nichol, MS-MVP
Converting FAT32 to NTFS
http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php