I Can't Decrypt My Encrypted Files

=?Utf-8?B?QmFzYW50XzkxMQ==?=

      11th Nov 2005
I use Win. XP Pro. with SP2, the file System is in NTFS format. I have
encrypted some personal files before the system brokedown, the encrypted
files are in a logical drive, then I formatted the primary partion where the
windows was located and I installed a refresh copy of windows. Now I can't
access my files, I even can't creat a recovery agent (no users to select and
when I brwose for *.cer fils and choose a certificate, the following message
appear "The file contains no certificates sutiable for Enctpted File System
Recovery. Please select another file or user"). Please help me..

Danny Sanders

      11th Nov 2005
See the section in this link about backing up your certificates.

Also see the section about why you MUST backup your certificate for an
explanation as to why you will not be able to access those files.

See:

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Basant_911" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use Win. XP Pro. with SP2, the file System is in NTFS format. I have
> encrypted some personal files before the system brokedown, the encrypted
> files are in a logical drive, then I formatted the primary partion where
> the
> windows was located and I installed a refresh copy of windows. Now I can't
> access my files, I even can't creat a recovery agent (no users to select
> and
> when I brwose for *.cer fils and choose a certificate, the following
> message
> appear "The file contains no certificates sutiable for Enctpted File
> System
> Recovery. Please select another file or user"). Please help me..

Bob Harris

      11th Nov 2005
Try a Google search on "recover encrypted file XP".

I quickly found one product that claims to do what you need, although it is
not cheap. So, I suspect that there might be more, or someone probably has
a service that would do the work for you, at a higher cost, of course.

http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/

"Basant_911" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use Win. XP Pro. with SP2, the file System is in NTFS format. I have
> encrypted some personal files before the system brokedown, the encrypted
> files are in a logical drive, then I formatted the primary partion where
> the
> windows was located and I installed a refresh copy of windows. Now I can't
> access my files, I even can't creat a recovery agent (no users to select
> and
> when I brwose for *.cer fils and choose a certificate, the following
> message
> appear "The file contains no certificates sutiable for Enctpted File
> System
> Recovery. Please select another file or user"). Please help me..

Kerry Brown

      11th Nov 2005
"Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try a Google search on "recover encrypted file XP".
>
> I quickly found one product that claims to do what you need, although it
> is not cheap. So, I suspect that there might be more, or someone probably
> has a service that would do the work for you, at a higher cost, of course.
>
> http://www.crackpassword.com/products/prs/mswin/efs/

That only works if you have at least one of the keys. Without a key it would
require a supercomputer and unlimited time to crack efs in XP.

> "Basant_911" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I use Win. XP Pro. with SP2, the file System is in NTFS format. I have
>> encrypted some personal files before the system brokedown, the encrypted
>> files are in a logical drive, then I formatted the primary partion where
>> the
>> windows was located and I installed a refresh copy of windows. Now I
>> can't
>> access my files, I even can't creat a recovery agent (no users to select
>> and
>> when I brwose for *.cer fils and choose a certificate, the following
>> message
>> appear "The file contains no certificates sutiable for Enctpted File
>> System
>> Recovery. Please select another file or user"). Please help me..

Steven L Umbach

      12th Nov 2005
As others have indicated those files are gone forever for your access unless
you have a backup of your EFS private key to import. Also FYI it does not
help to create a recovery agent after the fact to recover already encrypted
files. --- Steve