Can't completely get rid of RealPlayer

Richard Wakeford

      29th Apr 2004
I've uninstalled it and done a Registry search to get rid of every last
vestige of it but RealPlayer still tries to launch on the odd occasion
even though I've installed RealAlternative which, generally, works very
well until this phantom old original tries to rear its ugly head.

I've searched all files and everywhere so that there isn't a RealPlayer
reference left on my PC and yet it still comes to haunt me every now and
again. Of course it doesn't work but it still sits in the middle of the
screen daring me!

How do you get rid of it utterly and completely please.

Richard

roger

      29th Apr 2004
Hi Richard,

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:14 +0100 (BST), (E-Mail Removed) (Richard
Wakeford) wrote:

>I've uninstalled it and done a Registry search to get rid of every last
>vestige of it but RealPlayer still tries to launch on the odd occasion
>even though I've installed RealAlternative which, generally, works very
>well until this phantom old original tries to rear its ugly head.

[...]

You can try using the .r1pclean.exe program, according to
http://service.real.com/realone/faq/...rap01408v.html

From here:
http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/k/keenvalue.asp

"To Remove RealOne Player:

1. Click the Start button, point to Search, and click Find Files or
Folders.
2. Type .r1pclean.exe (r1(one)pclean) in the search box and click
Search Now.
2a. This may be found at C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne
Player\Setup\.r1pclean.exe
3. When Windows locates the file, double-click it. A MS-DOS window
appears with a warning.
4. Press the Y key and then press ENTER to uninstall.
5. You will be asked if you want to keep your media database or not;
for a complete uninstall press the N key to delete the media database.
See Deleting the Database below for more information.
6. If RealOne Music software is also installed, you will be asked if
you want to leave all the registry keys associated with RealOne Music
and leave the MCS database files. Press the N key to delete them.
RealOne Player will now uninstall from your computer"

Hope this helps

Richard Wakeford

      29th Apr 2004
> From here:
> http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/k/keenvalue.as

Thanks for the pointer. The idea looks good but all I get to download is a
massive 6 mb plus trial version of Pest Control - can't see the
r1pclean.exe file anywhere. Do I have to install all of that to get
r1pclean.exe to work?

Richard

roger

      29th Apr 2004
Hi Richard,

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:10 +0100 (BST), (E-Mail Removed) (Richard
Wakeford) wrote:

>> From here:
>> http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/k/keenvalue.as

>Thanks for the pointer. The idea looks good but all I get to download is a
>massive 6 mb plus trial version of Pest Control - can't see the
>r1pclean.exe file anywhere. Do I have to install all of that to get
>r1pclean.exe to work?
>
>Richard

You don't need Pest Control, what I gather is that this .r1pclean.exe
file comes with RealOne, check this location:
C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\Setup\.r1pclean.exe
Try looking for the file in Start > Search ---> .r1pclean.exe

Another approach would be to look for mentions of RealMedia,
RealNetworks and so on in your registry, but look out that you don't
erase RealAlternative by mistake.

Good luck

Richard Wakeford

      29th Apr 2004
> file comes with RealOne, check this location:
> C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\Setup\.r1pclean.exe
> Try looking for the file in Start > Search ---> .r1pclean.exe

Ah, a bit difficult because, as I said, I've removed all trace of
RealPlayer from C;| as well as the registry but it's still there!

Maybe I'll have to reinstall it and then use .r1pclean.exe to get rid of
it or I could wait for the promised MediaPlayer 10 due out that should be
able to play RealPlayer files. However that doesn't stop RealPlayer trying
to show itself so I think it's a re install followed by a comprehensive
removal using this file.

Richard

roger

      29th Apr 2004
Hi Richard,

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:01 +0100 (BST), (E-Mail Removed) (Richard
Wakeford) wrote:

>> file comes with RealOne, check this location:
>> C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\Setup\.r1pclean.exe
>> Try looking for the file in Start > Search ---> .r1pclean.exe

>Ah, a bit difficult because, as I said, I've removed all trace of
>RealPlayer from C;| as well as the registry but it's still there!
>
>Maybe I'll have to reinstall it and then use .r1pclean.exe to get rid of
>it or I could wait for the promised MediaPlayer 10 due out that should be
>able to play RealPlayer files. However that doesn't stop RealPlayer trying
>to show itself so I think it's a re install followed by a comprehensive
>removal using this file.

I've just looked in my RealPlayer files and it is there, in the setup
folder, .rp1clean.exe, it is small (1KB) and when you click it, it
asks if you really want to uninstall Real.

It's really a chore: you would have to uninstall RealAlternative,
install Real, uninstall using this file and then reinstall
RealAlternative!

Richard Wakeford

      30th Apr 2004
> It's really a chore: you would have to uninstall RealAlternative,
> install Real, uninstall using this file and then reinstall
> RealAlternative!

Yes but might just do without both as RealPlayer is needed so rarely in
the way I use PCs that I might just see how long I can do without both
although I suppose I'll still have to install RealPlayer to get rid of it!
Ho hum.

Richard

roger

      30th Apr 2004
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 01:09 +0100 (BST), (E-Mail Removed) (Richard
Wakeford) wrote:

>> It's really a chore: you would have to uninstall RealAlternative,
>> install Real, uninstall using this file and then reinstall
>> RealAlternative!

>Yes but might just do without both as RealPlayer is needed so rarely in
>the way I use PCs that I might just see how long I can do without both
>although I suppose I'll still have to install RealPlayer to get rid of it!
>Ho hum.
>
>Richard

Yeah, I use it just for watching news videos, it's pretty invasive,
though.

Richard Wakeford

      30th Apr 2004
> Yeah, I use it just for watching news videos, it's pretty invasive,
> though.

That's the main reason I want to get rid of it! I'll keep trying and
thanks for your help. Just about to re-install it to try the wee file EXE
in it for a proper removal (I hope!)

Richard

roger

      30th Apr 2004
Hi Richard,

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:55 +0100 (BST), (E-Mail Removed) (Richard
Wakeford) wrote:

>> Yeah, I use it just for watching news videos, it's pretty invasive,
>> though.

>That's the main reason I want to get rid of it! I'll keep trying and
>thanks for your help. Just about to re-install it to try the wee file EXE
>in it for a proper removal (I hope!)

Good luck on removing the program!