cant access windows xp "documents and settings" directory over LAN

Lynn McGuire

      27th May 2011
Why cant I access various windows xp "documents and settings"
directories over our LAN ? I have administrator rights in my
login. We are using windows simple networking (workgroup)
with no domain server.

Thanks,
Lynn

John Wunderlich

      28th May 2011
Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:irohna$qhr$(E-Mail Removed):

> Why cant I access various windows xp "documents and settings"
> directories over our LAN ? I have administrator rights in my
> login. We are using windows simple networking (workgroup)
> with no domain server.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

The problem is with Simple File Sharing. If you have XP Home or you
have XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled (default), then *any*
network connection to that machine will authenticate as the "Guest"
user no matter what username or password you provide. The Guest user
does not have privilege to most (all?) directories in the Documents and
Settings Folder.

HTH,
John

Lynn McGuire

      2nd Jun 2011
On 5/28/2011 1:18 AM, John Wunderlich wrote:
> Lynn McGuire<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:irohna$qhr$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Why cant I access various windows xp "documents and settings"
>> directories over our LAN ? I have administrator rights in my
>> login. We are using windows simple networking (workgroup)
>> with no domain server.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lynn
>>

> The problem is with Simple File Sharing. If you have XP Home or you
> have XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled (default), then *any*
> network connection to that machine will authenticate as the "Guest"
> user no matter what username or password you provide. The Guest user
> does not have privilege to most (all?) directories in the Documents and
> Settings Folder.
>
> HTH,
> John

Ah, that makes sense. So I need to get rid of simple
file sharing. Easier said than done I bet.

Thanks,
Lynn

John Wunderlich

      3rd Jun 2011
Lynn McGuire <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:is6gol$vj2$(E-Mail Removed):

> On 5/28/2011 1:18 AM, John Wunderlich wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:irohna$qhr$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Why cant I access various windows xp "documents and settings"
>>> directories over our LAN ? I have administrator rights in my
>>> login. We are using windows simple networking (workgroup)
>>> with no domain server.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Lynn
>>>

>> The problem is with Simple File Sharing. If you have XP Home or
>> you have XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled (default), then
>> *any* network connection to that machine will authenticate as the
>> "Guest" user no matter what username or password you provide.
>> The Guest user does not have privilege to most (all?) directories
>> in the Documents and Settings Folder.
>>
>> HTH,
>> John

> Ah, that makes sense. So I need to get rid of simple
> file sharing. Easier said than done I bet.
>
> Thanks,
> Lynn

Assuming you have XP Pro, it's easy...

"How to disable simple file sharing and how to set permissions on a
shared folder in Windows XP"
< http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874 >

HTH,
JW