Can't access administrator privlages anymore. HELP!!!!

Jeff

      5th Feb 2005
How do I go about getting administrator privlages? The
system came from I din't know who, so I need some way to
have access so I can reformat and do a fresh install. I
really don't want to throw away the 120GB WD Caviar 205AA
hard drive.(I am on a budget)

All help is greatful.
Jeff

John John

      5th Feb 2005

Jeff wrote:

> How do I go about getting administrator privlages? The
> system came from I din't know who, so I need some way to
> have access so I can reformat and do a fresh install. I
> really don't want to throw away the 120GB WD Caviar 205AA
> hard drive.(I am on a budget)
>
> All help is greatful.
> Jeff

John John

      5th Feb 2005
You don't need Administrator privileges to do what you want, and even if
you did you still couldn't format the system drive, Windows will not let
you format the system drive, that would be suicide. You do understand
that formating will erase all data on the drive? Are you reinstalling
Windows 2000 on the drive? When you launch the Windows 2000 CD you will
be given the option to select and format the install partition at the
beginning. Just read the screen and follow the instructions.

John

Jeff wrote:

> How do I go about getting administrator privlages? The
> system came from I din't know who, so I need some way to
> have access so I can reformat and do a fresh install. I
> really don't want to throw away the 120GB WD Caviar 205AA
> hard drive.(I am on a budget)
>
> All help is greatful.
> Jeff

Dave Patrick

      5th Feb 2005
To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../W2KSP4_EN.EXE
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS03-043.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS03-049.mspx

--