Canon Pixma MP830: Scanner not working (TWAIN)/WIN XP SP2 prof.

Udo

      5th Dec 2006
Hello,

I have a really crazy problem. Just bought a Canon Pixma MP830
(basiclly a great MFP, with some minor restrictions). I can print, but
not scan. No difference when I start scanning via the device or PC. OS
WIN XP SP2 prof., interesting is that scanning via the WIA-driver is
possible, but not with the TWAIN-driver. Other PC tested, no problems.

When I use my MP830 as the TWAIN-source with my Paint Shop Pro 7.00 I
can select two drivers:
1. Twain Canon MP830 11.2 (32-32)
2. WIA-Canon MP830 1.0 (32-32)
Only 2. is working.

Using MP Navigator 2.2 (the software provided by Canon) for scanning, I
get only the message that scanning is not possible.
After starting scanning from the device itself a window pops up where I
can select which program should be used as destination. When I select
MP Navigator 2.2 nothing happens.

Any hints?

Many thanks in advance
Udo

CSM1

      5th Dec 2006
"Udo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have a really crazy problem. Just bought a Canon Pixma MP830
> (basiclly a great MFP, with some minor restrictions). I can print, but
> not scan. No difference when I start scanning via the device or PC. OS
> WIN XP SP2 prof., interesting is that scanning via the WIA-driver is
> possible, but not with the TWAIN-driver. Other PC tested, no problems.
>
> When I use my MP830 as the TWAIN-source with my Paint Shop Pro 7.00 I
> can select two drivers:
> 1. Twain Canon MP830 11.2 (32-32)
> 2. WIA-Canon MP830 1.0 (32-32)
> Only 2. is working.

Remove the WIA driver.

Windows XP only allows one or the other driver. You have to choose which
driver you want to use and install only that driver. TWAIN is the best
Driver.

After removing the WIA driver, you may have to re-install the Canon
software, be sure you have chosen the TWAIN driver.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Udo

      5th Dec 2006
Hello CSM1,

thanks for your answer.

> > I have a really crazy problem. Just bought a Canon Pixma MP830
> > (basiclly a great MFP, with some minor restrictions). I can print, but
> > not scan. No difference when I start scanning via the device or PC. OS
> > WIN XP SP2 prof., interesting is that scanning via the WIA-driver is
> > possible, but not with the TWAIN-driver. Other PC tested, no problems.
> >
> > When I use my MP830 as the TWAIN-source with my Paint Shop Pro 7.00 I
> > can select two drivers:
> > 1. Twain Canon MP830 11.2 (32-32)
> > 2. WIA-Canon MP830 1.0 (32-32)
> > Only 2. is working.
> >

> Remove the WIA driver.
>
> Windows XP only allows one or the other driver. You have to choose which
> driver you want to use and install only that driver. TWAIN is the best
> Driver.
>
> After removing the WIA driver, you may have to re-install the Canon
> software, be sure you have chosen the TWAIN driver.

I don't understand which part of the WIA driver is from the OS and
which part from Canon.

First I have removed MP Navigator 2.2. But how can I remove the WIA
driver? When I uninstall the driver by using the Device Manager and I
connect the MP830 again via the USB the driver is active again.
I can't select the TWAIN driver when I install MP Navigator 2.2.

Thanks for additional hints
Udo

> > Using MP Navigator 2.2 (the software provided by Canon) for scanning, I
> > get only the message that scanning is not possible.
> > After starting scanning from the device itself a window pops up where I
> > can select which program should be used as destination. When I select
> > MP Navigator 2.2 nothing happens.

CSM1

      5th Dec 2006
"Udo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello CSM1,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>
>> > I have a really crazy problem. Just bought a Canon Pixma MP830
>> > (basiclly a great MFP, with some minor restrictions). I can print, but
>> > not scan. No difference when I start scanning via the device or PC. OS
>> > WIN XP SP2 prof., interesting is that scanning via the WIA-driver is
>> > possible, but not with the TWAIN-driver. Other PC tested, no problems.
>> >
>> > When I use my MP830 as the TWAIN-source with my Paint Shop Pro 7.00 I
>> > can select two drivers:
>> > 1. Twain Canon MP830 11.2 (32-32)
>> > 2. WIA-Canon MP830 1.0 (32-32)
>> > Only 2. is working.
>> >

>> Remove the WIA driver.
>>
>> Windows XP only allows one or the other driver. You have to choose which
>> driver you want to use and install only that driver. TWAIN is the best
>> Driver.
>>
>> After removing the WIA driver, you may have to re-install the Canon
>> software, be sure you have chosen the TWAIN driver.

> I don't understand which part of the WIA driver is from the OS and
> which part from Canon.
>
> First I have removed MP Navigator 2.2. But how can I remove the WIA
> driver? When I uninstall the driver by using the Device Manager and I
> connect the MP830 again via the USB the driver is active again.
> I can't select the TWAIN driver when I install MP Navigator 2.2.
>
> Thanks for additional hints
> Udo

Read your Canon Getting started Guide!

If you have the scanner plugged into USB, Windows will automatically install
the built-in WIA driver. You must install the Canon Software before plugging
in the Canon.

Unplug the Scanner and printer from USB. (IMPORTANT!)
Remove the WIA driver. (This may be from Device Manager or Add/Remove
programs).
Reboot the computer.
Install the Canon Software.
Reboot the computer.
Plug the USB cable back in. Turn on the Canon scanner/printer.

In Windows XP you must install any manufactures software before connecting
any device.

>> > Using MP Navigator 2.2 (the software provided by Canon) for scanning, I
>> > get only the message that scanning is not possible.
>> > After starting scanning from the device itself a window pops up where I
>> > can select which program should be used as destination. When I select
>> > MP Navigator 2.2 nothing happens.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Udo

      5th Dec 2006
Hello CSM1,

thanks for your infos.

> >> Remove the WIA driver.
> >>
> >> Windows XP only allows one or the other driver. You have to choose which
> >> driver you want to use and install only that driver. TWAIN is the best
> >> Driver.
> >>
> >> After removing the WIA driver, you may have to re-install the Canon
> >> software, be sure you have chosen the TWAIN driver.

> > I don't understand which part of the WIA driver is from the OS and
> > which part from Canon.
> >
> > First I have removed MP Navigator 2.2. But how can I remove the WIA
> > driver? When I uninstall the driver by using the Device Manager and I
> > connect the MP830 again via the USB the driver is active again.
> > I can't select the TWAIN driver when I install MP Navigator 2.2.
> >
> > Thanks for additional hints
> > Udo

> Read your Canon Getting started Guide!

I'm >>20 years in the business and nevertheless I always read the
manual .

> If you have the scanner plugged into USB, Windows will automatically install
> the built-in WIA driver. You must install the Canon Software before plugging
> in the Canon.

I have the drivers/software installed before I plugged in the USB-
cable (not only one time...). That's not the problem - btw just for
tests I plugged the cable without any drivers/software installed.
Nothing was installed, the device was listed in the device manager
with three exclamation marks.

I tried to deactivate the WIA-service, but MP Navigator 2.2 depends
on it.

> Unplug the Scanner and printer from USB. (IMPORTANT!)
> Remove the WIA driver. (This may be from Device Manager or Add/Remove
> programs).
> Reboot the computer.
> Install the Canon Software.
> Reboot the computer.
> Plug the USB cable back in. Turn on the Canon scanner/printer.
>
> In Windows XP you must install any manufactures software before connecting
> any device.

Done so. The problem is more complex - Canon can't help - the only
suggestion was to send in the (new) MFP for checking. Not amused.

Thanks.
Udo

Danny

      6th Dec 2006
Hi Udo,

If the scanner worked fine on other PC's then there's no need to send
the MFP to Canon since you've basically ruled out the hardware as being
the problem. The problem is isolated to your computer's environment.

The WIA driver would be tricky to remove since it's native to the OS.
If you end the WIA service, then that would disable your ability to
scan on that pc also. Does the windows event viewer list any errors at
the time of scan attempts? (either push event method from the scanner
or the pull event methods from a twain compliant application)

I've seen similar bizar behaviors while attempting to scan on pc's
which have mulitple security software installed. If possible, verify
that you're only running one virus protection application, spyware
application, etc...

if you're running any system-roll back software (such as Norton
GoBack), these applications essentially prevent changes to your
registry and can lead to similar symptoms as what you're describing
while trying to scan.,

Hope this helps~

Danny Ha
Udo wrote:
> Hello CSM1,
>
> thanks for your infos.

> > > I don't understand which part of the WIA driver is from the OS and
> > > which part from Canon.
> > >
> > > First I have removed MP Navigator 2.2. But how can I remove the WIA
> > > driver? When I uninstall the driver by using the Device Manager and I
> > > connect the MP830 again via the USB the driver is active again.
> > > I can't select the TWAIN driver when I install MP Navigator 2.2.
> > >
> > > Thanks for additional hints
> > > Udo

> > Read your Canon Getting started Guide!

> I'm >>20 years in the business and nevertheless I always read the
> manual .
>
> > If you have the scanner plugged into USB, Windows will automatically install
> > the built-in WIA driver. You must install the Canon Software before plugging
> > in the Canon.

> I have the drivers/software installed before I plugged in the USB-
> cable (not only one time...). That's not the problem - btw just for
> tests I plugged the cable without any drivers/software installed.
> Nothing was installed, the device was listed in the device manager
> with three exclamation marks.
>
> I tried to deactivate the WIA-service, but MP Navigator 2.2 depends
> on it.
>
> > Unplug the Scanner and printer from USB. (IMPORTANT!)
> > Remove the WIA driver. (This may be from Device Manager or Add/Remove
> > programs).
> > Reboot the computer.
> > Install the Canon Software.
> > Reboot the computer.
> > Plug the USB cable back in. Turn on the Canon scanner/printer.
> >
> > In Windows XP you must install any manufactures software before connecting
> > any device.

> Done so. The problem is more complex - Canon can't help - the only
> suggestion was to send in the (new) MFP for checking. Not amused.
>
> Thanks.
> Udo

New Member

      25th Nov 2012
Also bei den Umgebungsvariablen Path einfach wieder %SystemRoot%\twain_32\MP830 eintragen, Kiste booten und der Nagivator funzt 1A.

Systemsteuerung > System > Erweitert > Umgebungsvariablen und dort unter der Variablen Path den genannten Pfad eintragen

Du musst die normalerweise bereits bestehende Variable PATH um den Pfad %SystemRoot%\twain_32\MP830 ergänzen/verlängern.

english (short version)
the path to the twain driver director is missing in the system environment variable.
add this to the path variable:

%SystemRoot%\twain_32

hth, greezzz, Lars