PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Canon MP-730 all-in-one says :Wrong Cartridge"

 
 
micky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      28th Jun 2012
Canon MP-730 all-in-one says :Wrong Cartridge" that is, bad printhead.

Should I keep cleaing the electrical contacts? Is an old printer
better than a new printer and I should spend 80 dollars for a new
printhead?


Hi, again. I've given up on the Canon MP-F50, and a friend of mine
has given me a Canon MP-730 that she got from Freecycle about a year
ago, but hasn't used. (and gave strange reasons why not. Women!)

It has every feature I want except wireless, but including drivers
that are on the Canon webpage, and seems to be in beautiful condition,
but it won't do anything, even clean itself or do a re-alignment,
because it has the omnipresent message, "Wrong cartridge".

Now the user guide and a lot of webpages say this message is really
about the printhead, and I've cleaned the metal contacts on the
printhead, and tried once to clean the metal pins that spring up
against it. I've wiggled it several times. Should I clean some
more? One webpage says that it is an electrical problem in the
printhead., If so, doesn't that mean I can't fix it?


They sell new, in the sealed foil bag, Canon printheads on Ebay
starting at about 80 dolllars which seems like a ridiculously
impractical price when I can buy a new all-in-one printer with
wireless for 100 dollars.

But one ad says "These printers still use the older less expensive
inks, keep this great printer working with this part! " Does he have
a good point? Is this or other reasons good reasons to keep an old
printer?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gernot Hassenpflug
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      29th Jun 2012
micky <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Canon MP-730 all-in-one says :Wrong Cartridge" that is, bad printhead.
>
> Should I keep cleaing the electrical contacts? Is an old printer
> better than a new printer and I should spend 80 dollars for a new
> printhead?


I would not spend 80 dollars on a printhead unless I was perfectly
sure that it is the printhead and not (also) something else that is
broken/shorted out. If the logic board is damaged, you will simply end
up destroying the new printhead as well. The safest thing to do, is to
send the printer to Canon's fixed price server, which is available in
some regions of the globe. Here in Japan it costs 10500 JPY to fix a
printer, regardless of the problem. I sent an MP800 in which I knew
had a damaged logicboard and a broken printhead. So that was a great
deal for me: new logic board, new printhead, new waste ink pad, and
thorough cleaning and checking.

> Hi, again. I've given up on the Canon MP-F50, and a friend of mine
> has given me a Canon MP-730 that she got from Freecycle about a year
> ago, but hasn't used. (and gave strange reasons why not. Women!)


I had a MP710 for years, and then one day after power-on, the same message.
I sold it for 100 JPY on auction the same week.

The same happened just 2 months ago with my MP610 which had been
working beautifully for a few years. Power on and printhead
error. Sold for 500 JPY on auctiopn the same week.

Now I am back to using my trusty MP450 which has been going for
donkey's years after I bought it second hand, and is amazingly
versatile to boot: it will happily print even when I forget to open
the paper tray exit on the front. The paper just gets neatly rolled up
inside the printer LOL.

I still have MP800 and MP810 spare (both refurbished as explained
above) which I use for limited photo prints and sometimes negative or
photo scans, but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for heavy
use. I have a iP4500 and a Canoscan 8800F that are my workhorses for
business or decorative printing, and top-notch (consumer-grade) scans.

> It has every feature I want except wireless, but including drivers
> that are on the Canon webpage, and seems to be in beautiful condition,
> but it won't do anything, even clean itself or do a re-alignment,
> because it has the omnipresent message, "Wrong cartridge".
>
> Now the user guide and a lot of webpages say this message is really
> about the printhead, and I've cleaned the metal contacts on the
> printhead, and tried once to clean the metal pins that spring up
> against it. I've wiggled it several times. Should I clean some
> more? One webpage says that it is an electrical problem in the
> printhead., If so, doesn't that mean I can't fix it?


If you don't have that kind of expertise and experience to guide you,
the answer is most likely no. I don't unfortunately have any advice to
offer you either.

/../

> But one ad says "These printers still use the older less expensive
> inks, keep this great printer working with this part! " Does he have
> a good point? Is this or other reasons good reasons to keep an old
> printer?


Yes, the MP700/730 and MP710/740 use the non-chipped cartridges (you
can of course put in the chipped cartridges, since the unchipped ones
are not sold anymore, obviously the chip is ignored) which is much
more user-friendly if you like to handle your own ink refills and
maintenance.

Canon printers unfortunately have a habit of stopping dead at some
point, and unless you correctly diagnose the problem (printhead/logic
board) you can break whatever replacement part you decide to put
in. So I would be careful.

Cheers,
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
AnthonyL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Jul 2012
On 29 Jun 2012 10:54:16 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>I still have MP800 and MP810 spare (both refurbished as explained
>above) which I use for limited photo prints and sometimes negative or
>photo scans, but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for heavy
>use.


Perhaps better: " but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for
use."

I purchased the Canon Pixma MP600R Multifunction Printer a few years
ago and it just gets used occasionally, maybe a handful of prints or a
few scans every week or so. Firstly the wireless stopped working and
now I get the U150 error on the middle cartridge. Swapping the
cartridge for one of the others leaves the same error. Then of course
because there is an error I can't do anything - not even scan.

A wireless all-in-one with scanning over wireless as well would be
very handy. Do you have any suggestions?



--
AnthonyL
 
Reply With Quote
 
David H. Lipman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Jul 2012
From: "AnthonyL" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> On 29 Jun 2012 10:54:16 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>> I still have MP800 and MP810 spare (both refurbished as explained
>> above) which I use for limited photo prints and sometimes negative or
>> photo scans, but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for heavy
>> use.

>
> Perhaps better: " but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for
> use."
>
> I purchased the Canon Pixma MP600R Multifunction Printer a few years
> ago and it just gets used occasionally, maybe a handful of prints or a
> few scans every week or so. Firstly the wireless stopped working and
> now I get the U150 error on the middle cartridge. Swapping the
> cartridge for one of the others leaves the same error. Then of course
> because there is an error I can't do anything - not even scan.
>
> A wireless all-in-one with scanning over wireless as well would be
> very handy. Do you have any suggestions?
>
>


Epson Artisan 835/837.

--
Dave
Multi-AV Scanning Tool - http://multi-av.thespykiller.co.uk
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gernot Hassenpflug
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd Jul 2012
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:

> From: "AnthonyL" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> > On 29 Jun 2012 10:54:16 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> I still have MP800 and MP810 spare (both refurbished as explained
> >> above) which I use for limited photo prints and sometimes negative or
> >> photo scans, but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for heavy
> >> use.

> >
> > Perhaps better: " but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for
> > use."
> >
> > I purchased the Canon Pixma MP600R Multifunction Printer a few years
> > ago and it just gets used occasionally, maybe a handful of prints or a
> > few scans every week or so. Firstly the wireless stopped working and
> > now I get the U150 error on the middle cartridge. Swapping the
> > cartridge for one of the others leaves the same error. Then of course
> > because there is an error I can't do anything - not even scan.
> >
> > A wireless all-in-one with scanning over wireless as well would be
> > very handy. Do you have any suggestions?
> >
> >

>
> Epson Artisan 835/837.


I'm also leaning heavily towards non-Canon these days (my first love
had been HP when I was still living in South Africa). But since I can
buy Canon printers cheaply second-hand, and refill inks, it is not
such a pain to change printers. There's also the attribute that they
are the only maker in Japan at least that has off-the-shelf products
with double-sided printing capablility. No need to buy extra add-ons.
I guess like Toshiba with their damned breakable laptops, the specs
are high, but so is vulnerability. Sometimes because they push the
technology, sometimes because the design is just crappy.

Then there is the fact that I am developing drivers for these Canons
thingies, to use on linux and MacOSX. So I have to admit it is only
because I see them as a hobby, that I continue to buy them.

Still, every company can change, and most printer and scanner
manufacturers have been both good and bad as far as consumer service
and satisfaction goes, over the course of the last 10-15 years.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
 
Reply With Quote
 
micky
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      3rd Jul 2012
On 29 Jun 2012 10:54:16 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>micky <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Canon MP-730 all-in-one says :Wrong Cartridge" that is, bad printhead.
>>
>> Should I keep cleaing the electrical contacts? Is an old printer
>> better than a new printer and I should spend 80 dollars for a new
>> printhead?

>
>I would not spend 80 dollars on a printhead unless I was perfectly
>sure that it is the printhead and not (also) something else that is
>broken/shorted out. If the logic board is damaged, you will simply end
>up destroying the new printhead as well. The safest thing to do, is to
>send the printer to Canon's fixed price server, which is available in
>some regions of the globe. Here in Japan it costs 10500 JPY to fix a
>printer, regardless of the problem. I sent an MP800 in which I knew
>had a damaged logicboard and a broken printhead. So that was a great
>deal for me: new logic board, new printhead, new waste ink pad, and
>thorough cleaning and checking.
>
>> Hi, again. I've given up on the Canon MP-F50, and a friend of mine
>> has given me a Canon MP-730 that she got from Freecycle about a year
>> ago, but hasn't used. (and gave strange reasons why not. Women!)

>
>I had a MP710 for years, and then one day after power-on, the same message.
>I sold it for 100 JPY on auction the same week.
>
>The same happened just 2 months ago with my MP610 which had been
>working beautifully for a few years. Power on and printhead
>error. Sold for 500 JPY on auctiopn the same week.
>
>Now I am back to using my trusty MP450 which has been going for
>donkey's years after I bought it second hand, and is amazingly
>versatile to boot: it will happily print even when I forget to open
>the paper tray exit on the front. The paper just gets neatly rolled up
>inside the printer LOL.
>
>I still have MP800 and MP810 spare (both refurbished as explained
>above) which I use for limited photo prints and sometimes negative or
>photo scans, but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for heavy
>use. I have a iP4500 and a Canoscan 8800F that are my workhorses for
>business or decorative printing, and top-notch (consumer-grade) scans.
>
>> It has every feature I want except wireless, but including drivers
>> that are on the Canon webpage, and seems to be in beautiful condition,
>> but it won't do anything, even clean itself or do a re-alignment,
>> because it has the omnipresent message, "Wrong cartridge".
>>
>> Now the user guide and a lot of webpages say this message is really
>> about the printhead, and I've cleaned the metal contacts on the
>> printhead, and tried once to clean the metal pins that spring up
>> against it. I've wiggled it several times. Should I clean some
>> more? One webpage says that it is an electrical problem in the
>> printhead., If so, doesn't that mean I can't fix it?

>
>If you don't have that kind of expertise and experience to guide you,
>the answer is most likely no. I don't unfortunately have any advice to
>offer you either.
>
>/../
>
>> But one ad says "These printers still use the older less expensive
>> inks, keep this great printer working with this part! " Does he have
>> a good point? Is this or other reasons good reasons to keep an old
>> printer?

>
>Yes, the MP700/730 and MP710/740 use the non-chipped cartridges (you
>can of course put in the chipped cartridges, since the unchipped ones
>are not sold anymore, obviously the chip is ignored) which is much
>more user-friendly if you like to handle your own ink refills and
>maintenance.
>
>Canon printers unfortunately have a habit of stopping dead at some
>point, and unless you correctly diagnose the problem (printhead/logic
>board) you can break whatever replacement part you decide to put
>in. So I would be careful.
>
>Cheers,


Okay,

Thanks. You've convinced me that buying a new printhead is risky.
Well, maybe I sort of knew it but you pushed me over the summit to No.

 
Reply With Quote
 
AnthonyL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      14th Jul 2012
On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 09:02:37 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "AnthonyL" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> On 29 Jun 2012 10:54:16 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> I still have MP800 and MP810 spare (both refurbished as explained
>>> above) which I use for limited photo prints and sometimes negative or
>>> photo scans, but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for heavy
>>> use.

>>
>> Perhaps better: " but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for
>> use."
>>
>> I purchased the Canon Pixma MP600R Multifunction Printer a few years
>> ago and it just gets used occasionally, maybe a handful of prints or a
>> few scans every week or so. Firstly the wireless stopped working and
>> now I get the U150 error on the middle cartridge. Swapping the
>> cartridge for one of the others leaves the same error. Then of course
>> because there is an error I can't do anything - not even scan.
>>
>> A wireless all-in-one with scanning over wireless as well would be
>> very handy. Do you have any suggestions?
>>
>>

>
>Epson Artisan 835/837.
>


Seems ideal but doesn't seem to have made the UK market


--
AnthonyL
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most Popular Canon Toner, Canon Ink Cartridges, Canon Ribbons Jacobs Printers 0 17th Jul 2010 12:44 PM
dvd plays films but wont play music discs says no disc in drive done systems check says all drives are working help bpicko Windows XP Performance 1 29th Jan 2005 05:10 PM
Windows update says Sp2 Failed to install,computer says its instal =?Utf-8?B?RWFzdEluZE1pa2U=?= Windows XP General 1 20th Oct 2004 09:05 AM
XP says "Kaye's Documents" but Win98 says "My Documents" Jack Windows XP General 10 18th Feb 2004 08:31 AM
Hard Drive: xp says 74.5 GB, diagnotic says 78.1 GB. Fixable? =?Utf-8?B?VGFsbG1hbg==?= Windows XP Performance 4 16th Feb 2004 07:06 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:39 AM.