Canon Elura not recognized under WinXP

mark

      7th Apr 2004
I am using Abit IC7-G motherboard with Texas Instruments
OHCI 1394 "firewire" controller. My Canon Elura video
camera is not recognized under WinXp as I get "video
device was not detected" message. The same Elura (with
the same cable) works like a charm under WinMe machine (
as well as the Mac computers). I tried all sorts of
actions ( ie. disable the 1394 controller at the BIOS
level, then re-install it; I tried to use the camera with
Win Movie Maker, then with Adobe Premiere; dowmloaded
Windows upgrades, search for specific XP "fixes"
(downloaded file "q329256_WXP_SP2_x86_Enu.exe" from
Microsoft site) etc. : no success. I am starting to get
desperate as no "fixes" are mentioned on Microsoft site.
Is there a major "bug" in Windows XP? What to do?

QuietDavid

      8th Apr 2004
Hi Mark

Just thought I'd mention that my Canon works just fine with firewire
under XP - it is recognised by all the capture apps I have tried.
However, I use a PCI firewire card as my Gigabyte MB isn't fitted with
on board firewire.

David

Just a thought (from someone who knows bugger all about windows) - have
you gone into the setup thingo and made sure the firewire port on your
mainboard is turned on?

mark wrote:

> I am using Abit IC7-G motherboard with Texas Instruments
> OHCI 1394 "firewire" controller. My Canon Elura video
> camera is not recognized under WinXp as I get "video
> device was not detected" message. The same Elura (with
> the same cable) works like a charm under WinMe machine (
> as well as the Mac computers). I tried all sorts of
> actions ( ie. disable the 1394 controller at the BIOS
> level, then re-install it; I tried to use the camera with
> Win Movie Maker, then with Adobe Premiere; dowmloaded
> Windows upgrades, search for specific XP "fixes"
> (downloaded file "q329256_WXP_SP2_x86_Enu.exe" from
> Microsoft site) etc. : no success. I am starting to get
> desperate as no "fixes" are mentioned on Microsoft site.
> Is there a major "bug" in Windows XP? What to do?

mark

      8th Apr 2004
Thanks David
I am glad that your PCI card works with Canon. It means
that my on board Texas Instr. controller is faulty ( the
computer maker admitts they did not tested it beforer
shipping). I will try a PCI card . Before doing this can
you tell me, please:
1. Did you use Canon Elura?
2. What PCI card did you installed? Is it with Texas
Instruments controller?
3. Is the opereting system Windows XP professional?
4. Any special drivers or fixes to be installed?
I really appreciate your help

PS. Yes the on board IEEE 1394 controller was aenabled in
the BIOS. The camcoder LCD showed, however, "blinking" DV
IN signe, which Canon represenative said means that
camcoder does not sense the firewire.

mark

      11th Apr 2004
hi David. I tried with OHCI Texas Instr. PCI card, which
installed OK. Still can't capture in either Movie Maker
or Adobe Premiere. Can not figure out what's the problem?
Thanks for any input

Mark

(