Cannot type text into search boxes in Internet Explorer or Outlook

=?Utf-8?B?QnJvd25pZW93bA==?=

      12th Jan 2005
Running Windows 98.
When searching sites such as this (on a different PC obviously!) I cannot
get an insertion point and therefore cannot type text into boxes.

Cannot type an email in Outlook Express either.

Cannot download Spybot or do a spy check because the download fails to
start. Big dilemma!

Any advice please?

Jan Il

      12th Jan 2005
Hi Brownieowl :-)

Try the following and see if it helps:

Safely Delete the Temporary Internet Files
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

or......

Cannot search from IE6 Address Bar

Check the Registry to see if this file is there. Sometime during removal of
hijackers or spyware files in the Registry can get corrupted or removed as
well. If not, try adding this line to this part of the registry.

(watch for the wrap, it should be all on one line)
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet

Explorer\URLSearchHooks]"{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497}"=""

or.......

A Single Letter May Be Displayed in the Title Bar
When you run Windows Explorer or start Internet Explorer, the text in the
title bar may be displayed as a single letter (for example, an "M" or an
"E").
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=225123
or
http://www.free-web-browsers.com/sup...mysearch.shtml

and........

Restore default Search functions:

In order to restore you default Search functions, download and run the
program below. You will have to redo any customized features you may have
added afterward.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...oreSearch2.REG

or....................

Courtesy of Tony Klein, MS MVP:

This will restore the Windows defaults for a whole lot of Search related
registry entries.

CAUTION: BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!

Close IE, copy the bold to Notepad, save as Search.reg (save as 'all files',
and doubleclick. Answer 'yes' when prompted to add the contents of
Search.reg to the Registry:

REGEDIT4 (Watch for the line wrap. Each one should be all on on line.)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
"SearchAssistant"="http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchasst.
htm"
"CustomizeSearch"="http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchcust.
htm"
"Default_Search_URL"="http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=ies
earch"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchUrl]
""="http://home.microsoft.com/access/autosearch.asp?p=%s"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\main]
"Search Page"="http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&ar=iesearch"
"Search Bar"="http://search.msn.com/spbasic.htm"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\URLSearchHooks]
"{CFBFAE00-17A6-11D0-99CB-00C04FD64497}"=""

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\DefaultPre
fix] @="http://"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\Prefixes]"
ftp"="ftp://"
"gopher"="gopher://"
"home"="http://"
"mosaic"="http://"
"www"="http://

or.............................

Restore Search:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...oreSearch2.REG
This will restore your default Search functionality. You will, however,
have to restore any custom setups you may have had before.

Download the fix - Reset Search:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/IEFIX.reg
This will restore your default Search functionality. However, if you had
any custom adjustments you have made will have to re-select them.

or.............

Repairs the corrupted or altered (spyware) HTTP prefixes
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/RepairDefaultPrefix.reg

If these steps do not resolve your problem, or you need help with the above,
please post back to this thread with the details and any error messages.

Hope this helps

Jan
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Running Windows 98.
> When searching sites such as this (on a different PC obviously!) I cannot
> get an insertion point and therefore cannot type text into boxes.
>
> Cannot type an email in Outlook Express either.
>
> Cannot download Spybot or do a spy check because the download fails to
> start. Big dilemma!
>
> Any advice please?

Don Varnau

      13th Jan 2005
Hi,
The fact that Outlook Express is also affected makes this sound like a
malware problem.

Try... from Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third
party
browser extensions."

Go to Internet Options> General> Accessibility. Uncheck "User style sheets"
if it's checked.

If that allows IE to work, download and run CWShredder from
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.exe Follow that up with Ad-aware.

Can you download CWShredder onto a floppy disk or Ad-aware
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ or Spybot onto a CD from another
computer?

Or, this article may help.

Hope this helps,