Cannot type in Search Bar

Art Dameron

      28th Oct 2009
I have Windows XP SP3 and IE 8. I cannot use the search provider button,
e.g. Google, or Bing, or whichever one is set to default.

The problem is that as soon as I type a letter into the little search
provider window, IE freezes/disconnects and up pops a message that reads:
"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
sorry for the inconvenience." Why is it doing this? The problem just started
yesterday.

I've run two virus checkers, and Micro Trend's Housecall and all is well.
The only thing I have done recently is download something from The Weather
Channel. It was a little icon that sat in the lower toolbar and displayed
the temperature outside. During installation it asked if I wanted to install
it's toolbar and I said no. Maybe somehow this has interfered with IE? I
don't know.

Besides checking for malware I uninstalled IE 8 and went back to IE 7. That
didn't help. So, I reinstalled IE 8 this morning. Problem still exists.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to fix this? Thanks.

Alan Edwards

      28th Oct 2009
Please try the IE7/IE8 group.
The recommended newsgroup is microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

In a proper newsreader:

If you must use a web interface:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...plorer.general

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:07:51 -0400, in
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser, "Art Dameron"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have Windows XP SP3 and IE 8.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

      28th Oct 2009

See Alan's reply.

Tip: There should only be one (1) anti-virus application installed & loading
at boot. The fact that you have two (2) of them may be causing your
problem.
--
IE7 & 8-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Art Dameron wrote:
> I have Windows XP SP3 and IE 8. I cannot use the search provider button,
> e.g. Google, or Bing, or whichever one is set to default.
>
> The problem is that as soon as I type a letter into the little search
> provider window, IE freezes/disconnects and up pops a message that reads:
> "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are
> sorry for the inconvenience." Why is it doing this? The problem just
> started
> yesterday.
>
> I've run two virus checkers, and Micro Trend's Housecall and all is well.
> The only thing I have done recently is download something from The Weather
> Channel. It was a little icon that sat in the lower toolbar and displayed
> the temperature outside. During installation it asked if I wanted to
> install
> it's toolbar and I said no. Maybe somehow this has interfered with IE? I
> don't know.
>
> Besides checking for malware I uninstalled IE 8 and went back to IE 7.
> That
> didn't help. So, I reinstalled IE 8 this morning. Problem still exists.
>
> Can anyone offer some advice on how to fix this? Thanks.

Art Dameron

      28th Oct 2009
Follow-up: The problem was fixed by clicking on the RESET button at the
bottom of the Advanced Tab under Internet Options.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

      29th Oct 2009
If you don't get rid of one of those AV apps, you'll continue to have
problems.