Cannot turn DEP off for this program

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

      2nd May 2007
I have an executable that links with Crystal Reports. On XP I can add this
executable to the DEP exception list. However on VISTA, when I try to add
this executable to the exception list, it won't allow it. I get this message
"This program must run with data execution protection(DEP) enabled. You
cannot turn off DEP for this program."

Does anyone know what triggers this inability to add it to the exception list?
--
Thanks,
Bill

Thomas Olsen [MSFT]

      3rd May 2007
Hello Bill,

There are three possible causes for why you cannot add the app to the
exceptions list:
1.) This is a 64-bit application.
2.) The application is in the Windows directory.
3.) The application has been compiled for Vista and, therefore, DEP is
enforced for it.

I hope this information helps you.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

      3rd May 2007
Thanks for the info Thomas. This app is not 64-bit, it is not in the windows
directory but it is under the program files directory, and it has not been
compiled for VISTA. I've been all over msdn, technet and other web sites and
have found info on DEP, but not specific info on this issue.
--
Thanks,
Bill

"Thomas Olsen [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello Bill,
>
> There are three possible causes for why you cannot add the app to the
> exceptions list:
> 1.) This is a 64-bit application.
> 2.) The application is in the Windows directory.
> 3.) The application has been compiled for Vista and, therefore, DEP is
> enforced for it.
>
> I hope this information helps you.

Tyro

      2nd Jan 2009
And your problem is?
BTW: you should never, ever, not in your lifetime, turn DEP off.

Tyro

"alr44" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Bill;182525 Wrote:
>> I have an executable that links with Crystal Reports. On XP I can add
>> this
>> executable to the DEP exception list. However on VISTA, when I try to
>> add
>> this executable to the exception list, it won't allow it. I get this
>> message
>> "This program must run with data execution protection(DEP) enabled.
>> You
>> cannot turn off DEP for this program."
>>
>> Does anyone know what triggers this inability to add it to the
>> exception list?
>> --
>> Thanks,
>> ----
>> Bill

> 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
> Hey guys. I usually find answers to all my problems with computers on
> one forum or another.Unfortunately,not today.I found comonality here but
> not an answer.Do you mean to tell me that MS has Vista so locked up and
> controlled witha 64 bt version I will continue to have firefox,flock
> keep crashing all the time.I have done the usual dep process to change
> things.It will not do it for theses programs.Some one has to know a work
> around this.I hate to go deeper into windows to do it.Thanks
>

> --
> alr44

Jon

      8th Sep 2009
"undisclosed" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> hi, i have this problem too, it happens with my mobile broadband program
> that was designed for vista sometimes. I really don't want to disable
> all the dep but it's a pain in the butt having to restart the computer
> and trying again. any work around for specific program...

Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Settings (under
performance) > DEP (tab)

Add your program as an exception

--
Jon