cannot setup email

flightattn

      1st Jan 2008
i am trying to setup my windows email for the first time. but when i set the
pop3 and smtp, they are not responding

need help please

Gary VanderMolen

      1st Jan 2008
The mail server names are assigned by your mail provider or
ISP. They will have a web page with that information.
Or you can tell us who your mail provider is, and we can get you
the mail server information.

--
Gary VanderMolen (MS-MVP WLM)

"flightattn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i am trying to setup my windows email for the first time. but when i set the
> pop3 and smtp, they are not responding
>

> need help please

William Peterson

      2nd Jan 2008
Most common causes of this:
1. Incorrect user ID and/or password
2. "My Server requires authentication" not checked when it should be
3. Incorrect POP3 and SMTP server names
In Windows Live Mail, when you set up a new email account, it automatically
finds and sets up the email POP3/SMTP server names (sometimes). I prefer
Live Mail (free download) over Windows Mail for many reasons, give it a try!
Pete

"flightattn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i am trying to setup my windows email for the first time. but when i set
> the
> pop3 and smtp, they are not responding
>

> need help please

Gary VanderMolen

      2nd Jan 2008
Post the complete error message.

--
Gary VanderMolen (MS-MVP WLM)

"flightattn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i am trying to setup my windows email for the first time. but when i set the
> pop3 and smtp, they are not responding
>

> need help please

flightattn

      3rd Jan 2008
thank you i will try it.

"William Peterson" wrote:

> Most common causes of this:
> 1. Incorrect user ID and/or password
> 2. "My Server requires authentication" not checked when it should be
> 3. Incorrect POP3 and SMTP server names
> In Windows Live Mail, when you set up a new email account, it automatically
> finds and sets up the email POP3/SMTP server names (sometimes). I prefer
> Live Mail (free download) over Windows Mail for many reasons, give it a try!
> Pete
>
> "flightattn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i am trying to setup my windows email for the first time. but when i set
> > the
> > pop3 and smtp, they are not responding
> >

> > need help please

flightattn

      3rd Jan 2008
thank you , i have hotmail acct as well a yahoo acct ,also gmail
can you help with this

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

> The mail server names are assigned by your mail provider or
> ISP. They will have a web page with that information.
> Or you can tell us who your mail provider is, and we can get you
> the mail server information.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen (MS-MVP WLM)
>

> "flightattn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >i am trying to setup my windows email for the first time. but when i set the
> > pop3 and smtp, they are not responding
> >

> > need help please

      3rd Jan 2008
Hotmail will not work under Windows Mail. You may want to
download and install Windows Live Mail, where it will:

http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Yahoo.com accounts cost extra to work with either one:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-35.html

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...op/pop-08.html

Instructions for Gmail:

http://email.about.com/od/windowsmai..._get_gmail.htm

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=13273

The instructions cover both the POP method and the IMAP method.
Choose one, and don't get them mixed up.

"flightattn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> thank you , i have hotmail acct as well a yahoo acct ,also gmail
> can you help with this
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" wrote:
>
>> The mail server names are assigned by your mail provider or
>> ISP. They will have a web page with that information.
>> Or you can tell us who your mail provider is, and we can get you
>> the mail server information.
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen (MS-MVP WLM)
>>

>> "flightattn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >i am trying to setup my windows email for the first time. but when i set
>> >the
>> > pop3 and smtp, they are not responding
>> >

>> > need help please

Jay Smith