PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Cannot open jpg image

 
 
Gord Dibben
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Jun 2009
I can verify John's solution.

I once had a bunch of jpgs taken with my Kodak Camera.

For some resson they were not recognized by Windows XP..........never did
figure out why.

Loaded into Irfanview and "converted" to jpg.

No problems after that.


Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:18:45 -0400, "John Inzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>s2w2k2 wrote:
>> Question is not of corrupted JPG images. What is missing in my office
>> computer that it cannot open JPG images taken from a camera ?If you
>> require any further information such as EXIF information of the
>> photo, I am ready to provide it.

>========================================
>
>This is getting confusing to say the least and I don't
>think we are communicating well.
>
>Did you resave the .jpg in IrfanView and try the new
>version on the office computer?
>
>You previously stated, "I can open other .jpg images."
>Are you saying now that the 'office' computer will not
>open 'any' of your .jpg images? If...yes...you may need
>to reset your image file associations.
>
>Maybe the following link will be useful:
>
>Windows XP File Association Fixes
>http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Inzer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Jun 2009
Gord Dibben wrote:
> I can verify John's solution.
>
> I once had a bunch of jpgs taken with my Kodak Camera.
>
> For some resson they were not recognized by Windows XP..........never
> did figure out why.
>
> Loaded into Irfanview and "converted" to jpg.
>
> No problems after that.

============================
Hey Gord...

Thanks for the assistance, maybe now
the OP will try to resave the .jpg file.

Have you experimented with AutoCollage?
It's fun to play with:

Download Trial Version Of AutoCollage
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...b/default.aspx

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gord Dibben
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Jun 2009
Have not experimented with AutoCollage.

I'll have a look at it John.

Thanks

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 12:08:17 -0400, "John Inzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you experimented with AutoCollage?
>It's fun to play with:
>
>Download Trial Version Of AutoCollage
>http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...b/default.aspx


 
Reply With Quote
 
John Inzer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jun 2009
Gord Dibben wrote:
> Have not experimented with AutoCollage.
>
> I'll have a look at it John.
>
> Thanks

=====================
Let me know what you think.

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk


 
Reply With Quote
 
s2w2k2
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Jun 2009
Let me reiterate the issue. Some of the jpg images taken from Sony DSC W-170
camera does not open in Office Computer. It does not open with any of the
default players of Windows XP. It opes in Home computer even with the
Internet Explorer.

The issue is only with the jpg images taken from Sony DSC-W170.

The image opens in IrfanView in office computer, but we are not allowed to
install any 3rd party player in Office

I dont need to install XP File Association Fix as all jpg images other than
the one taken from Sony Camera opens.

I cant open the image in IrfanView and resave them as jpg, as there as lots
of images.

I think the office computer is missing something, which I am not able to
figure out.

"John Inzer" wrote:

> s2w2k2 wrote:
> > Question is not of corrupted JPG images. What is missing in my office
> > computer that it cannot open JPG images taken from a camera ?If you
> > require any further information such as EXIF information of the
> > photo, I am ready to provide it.

> ========================================
>
> This is getting confusing to say the least and I don't
> think we are communicating well.
>
> Did you resave the .jpg in IrfanView and try the new
> version on the office computer?
>
> You previously stated, "I can open other .jpg images."
> Are you saying now that the 'office' computer will not
> open 'any' of your .jpg images? If...yes...you may need
> to reset your image file associations.
>
> Maybe the following link will be useful:
>
> Windows XP File Association Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> --
>
> J. Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Young Snodgrass
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Jun 2009
Hello John:

May I ask a question here?

Over the years I have heard stories of "different" versions of .jpg? In
other words, people have claimed that the Japanese having different .jpg
file formats than the version used in the USA.

I don't presently have any samples.

Can you comment on the possibility of different standards for .jpg files in
different countries?

Cordially yours,

Young Snodgrass



"John Inzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> s2w2k2 wrote:
>> Question is not of corrupted JPG images. What is missing in my office
>> computer that it cannot open JPG images taken from a camera ?If you
>> require any further information such as EXIF information of the
>> photo, I am ready to provide it.

> ========================================
>
> This is getting confusing to say the least and I don't
> think we are communicating well.
>
> Did you resave the .jpg in IrfanView and try the new
> version on the office computer?
>
> You previously stated, "I can open other .jpg images."
> Are you saying now that the 'office' computer will not
> open 'any' of your .jpg images? If...yes...you may need
> to reset your image file associations.
>
> Maybe the following link will be useful:
>
> Windows XP File Association Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> --
>
> J. Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
John Inzer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Jun 2009
Young Snodgrass wrote:
> Hello John:
>
> May I ask a question here?
>
> Over the years I have heard stories of "different" versions of .jpg? In
> other words, people have claimed that the Japanese having
> different .jpg file formats than the version used in the USA.
>
> I don't presently have any samples.
>
> Can you comment on the possibility of different standards for .jpg
> files in different countries?
>
> Cordially yours,
>
> Young Snodgrass

=================================
Yes, there are different types of JPEG files.
Have a look at the following article:

JPEG Format - About JPEG
and JPEG 2000 File Formats
http://tinyurl.com/32hxs4
or...
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/for...le_Formats.htm

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk


 
Reply With Quote
 
Young Snodgrass
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Jun 2009
Hello John:

Thank-you! I had looked, but did not find your "source."

Also, "Thank-you" for letting me wander "off-subject."

Cordially yours,

Young Snodgrass


"John Inzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Young Snodgrass wrote:
>> Hello John:
>>
>> May I ask a question here?
>>
>> Over the years I have heard stories of "different" versions of .jpg? In
>> other words, people have claimed that the Japanese having
>> different .jpg file formats than the version used in the USA.
>>
>> I don't presently have any samples.
>>
>> Can you comment on the possibility of different standards for .jpg
>> files in different countries?
>>
>> Cordially yours,
>>
>> Young Snodgrass

> =================================
> Yes, there are different types of JPEG files.
> Have a look at the following article:
>
> JPEG Format - About JPEG
> and JPEG 2000 File Formats
> http://tinyurl.com/32hxs4
> or...
> http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/for...le_Formats.htm
>
> --
>
> J. Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
John Inzer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Jun 2009
Young Snodgrass wrote:
> Hello John:
>
> Thank-you! I had looked, but did not find your "source."
>
> Also, "Thank-you" for letting me wander "off-subject."
>
> Cordially yours,
>
> Young Snodgrass

============================
You're welcome.

Thanks for the update.

--

J. Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk


 
Reply With Quote
 
New Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
 
      21st Jan 2012
The answer may very well be posted on a few other sites. Search for "jpegim32.flt".

Apparently, copying this and perhaps 1-2 other files from the same directory from the install disk into the appropriate folder in program files directory solves the problem of MS Photo Editor not being able to open jpg files.

In addition, I scoured the net to find out why MS Word would always give me an error as well when opening a Word document (yet allowed the document to open after clicking "yes" to the error announcement). By copying the files mentioned above, that happened to also fix the problem I had with Word.

I hope people do find this post.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to develop a program to open an image file (.jpg) with PPC's default image viewer? kyng329@hotmail.com Microsoft Dot NET Compact Framework 0 24th Mar 2006 05:16 PM
Nokia PC Suite on Laptop - nokia_error.jpg [0/3] - nokia_error2.jpg [0/2] - nokia_error2.jpg [0/2] - nokia_error2.jpg [0/2] Bob Moore Windows XP Help 1 22nd Feb 2006 01:50 PM
Nokia PC Suite on Laptop - nokia_error.jpg [0/3] - nokia_error2.jpg [0/2] - nokia_error2.jpg [0/2] Bob Moore Windows XP Help 0 22nd Feb 2006 01:28 PM
Cannot Select a .jpg Image as Desktop Background Image optikl Windows XP General 11 26th Feb 2005 03:01 PM
Wallpaper problems with .jpg files in Display Properties tab. Cannot select .JPG wallpaper! fala1969 Windows XP Customization 3 20th Jul 2004 07:39 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:08 PM.