Cannot Open ADP - SQL Server Changed

Don Reynolds

      30th Jul 2009
I have an ADP with a ton of code that I wrote for a database that no longer
exists. Is there any way to open or extract the forms/vba from it?

I believe the connection timeout is saved as infinite, so opening it fails
and it just hangs forever.

I've seen posts about using a hex editor to change the timeout, but i cannot
figure out how to do this.

This is the content of the post that leads me to believe it is possible
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...85281962c0dc0e

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of thier help. HAHA! - I figured it
out.... Using a HEX editor i was able to find the Property0966\1\3\0. inside
of my adp file. This is the property that sets the database connection
timeout. Setting the last number (0) to a 5 allowed the connection to 'time
out' and therefore allowed me change my connection information using 'file'
and 'connection' in Access. If it is set to 0 it will never time out and will
never connect if the database is not valid. Then you locked up!!!! Hope this
helps someone else.

--
/* Don Reynolds */

Sylvain Lafontaine

      30th Jul 2009
Did you try to create a blank ADP project and import everything into it?

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform

"Don Reynolds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an ADP with a ton of code that I wrote for a database that no longer
> exists. Is there any way to open or extract the forms/vba from it?
>
> I believe the connection timeout is saved as infinite, so opening it fails
> and it just hangs forever.
>
> I've seen posts about using a hex editor to change the timeout, but i
> cannot
> figure out how to do this.
>
> This is the content of the post that leads me to believe it is possible:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...85281962c0dc0e
>
> Just wanted to thank everyone for all of thier help. HAHA! - I figured it
> out.... Using a HEX editor i was able to find the Property0966\1\3\0.
> inside
> of my adp file. This is the property that sets the database connection
> timeout. Setting the last number (0) to a 5 allowed the connection to
> 'time
> out' and therefore allowed me change my connection information using
> 'file'
> and 'connection' in Access. If it is set to 0 it will never time out and
> will
> never connect if the database is not valid. Then you locked up!!!! Hope
> this
> helps someone else.
>
> --
> /* Don Reynolds */

Don Reynolds

      31st Jul 2009
I wasn't aware that you could import Access Forms, Mods, and Reports.

If I try to Import Access data it will hang forever trying to connect to the
other ADP.

--
/* Don Reynolds */

"Sylvain Lafontaine" wrote:

> Did you try to create a blank ADP project and import everything into it?
>
> --
> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
> MVP - Windows Live Platform
> Email: sylvain2009 sylvainlafontaine com (fill the blanks, no spam please)
> Independent consultant and remote programming for Access and SQL-Server
> (French)
>

> "Don Reynolds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have an ADP with a ton of code that I wrote for a database that no longer
> > exists. Is there any way to open or extract the forms/vba from it?
> >
> > I believe the connection timeout is saved as infinite, so opening it fails
> > and it just hangs forever.
> >
> > I've seen posts about using a hex editor to change the timeout, but i
> > cannot
> > figure out how to do this.
> >
> > This is the content of the post that leads me to believe it is possible:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/micro...85281962c0dc0e
> >
> > Just wanted to thank everyone for all of thier help. HAHA! - I figured it
> > out.... Using a HEX editor i was able to find the Property0966\1\3\0.
> > inside
> > of my adp file. This is the property that sets the database connection
> > timeout. Setting the last number (0) to a 5 allowed the connection to
> > 'time
> > out' and therefore allowed me change my connection information using
> > 'file'
> > and 'connection' in Access. If it is set to 0 it will never time out and
> > will
> > never connect if the database is not valid. Then you locked up!!!! Hope
> > this
> > helps someone else.
> >
> > --
> > /* Don Reynolds */

Sylvain Lafontaine

      31st Jul 2009
Download the Hexa Editor XVI32:
http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delph...2.htm#download

Property0966 is written in Unicode, so each letter/numeric is followed by a
byte of value 0. The easiest way to search for this is to enter
P.r.o.p.e.r.t.y.0.9.6.6. in the search string and check the option "Joker
char hex: 2E" at the bottom of the search dialog window. (The decimal point
is character 2E in Ascii).

Replace the "0" (or 30 in hexadecimal) that you'll find after the
Property0966\1\3\ with the letter/numeric 5 on the right pane (the right
pane must be WHITE and not GREY so that it has the focus).

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform
Email: sylvain2009 sylvainlafontaine com (fill the blanks, no spam please)
(French)

"Don Reynolds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wasn't aware that you could import Access Forms, Mods, and Reports.
>
> If I try to Import Access data it will hang forever trying to connect to
> the
> other ADP.
>
> --
> /* Don Reynolds */
>

> "Sylvain Lafontaine" wrote:
>
>> Did you try to create a blank ADP project and import everything into it?
>>
>> --
>> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
>> MVP - Windows Live Platform
>> Email: sylvain2009 sylvainlafontaine com (fill the blanks, no spam
>> please)
>> Independent consultant and remote programming for Access and SQL-Server
>> (French)
>>

>> "Don Reynolds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have an ADP with a ton of code that I wrote for a database that no
>> >longer
>> > exists. Is there any way to open or extract the forms/vba from it?
>> >
>> > I believe the connection timeout is saved as infinite, so opening it
>> > fails
>> > and it just hangs forever.
>> >
>> > I've seen posts about using a hex editor to change the timeout, but i
>> > cannot
>> > figure out how to do this.
>> >
>> > This is the content of the post that leads me to believe it is
>> > possible:
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/micro...85281962c0dc0e
>> >
>> > Just wanted to thank everyone for all of thier help. HAHA! - I figured
>> > it
>> > out.... Using a HEX editor i was able to find the Property0966\1\3\0.
>> > inside
>> > of my adp file. This is the property that sets the database connection
>> > timeout. Setting the last number (0) to a 5 allowed the connection to
>> > 'time
>> > out' and therefore allowed me change my connection information using
>> > 'file'
>> > and 'connection' in Access. If it is set to 0 it will never time out
>> > and
>> > will
>> > never connect if the database is not valid. Then you locked up!!!! Hope
>> > this
>> > helps someone else.
>> >
>> > --
>> > /* Don Reynolds */

Don Reynolds

      31st Jul 2009
That is exactly what I needed!
You saved 5 years of code snippets for me!

Thank you!

--
/* Don Reynolds */

"Sylvain Lafontaine" wrote:

> Download the Hexa Editor XVI32:
> http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delph...2.htm#download
>
> Property0966 is written in Unicode, so each letter/numeric is followed by a
> byte of value 0. The easiest way to search for this is to enter
> P.r.o.p.e.r.t.y.0.9.6.6. in the search string and check the option "Joker
> char hex: 2E" at the bottom of the search dialog window. (The decimal point
> is character 2E in Ascii).
>
> Replace the "0" (or 30 in hexadecimal) that you'll find after the
> Property0966\1\3\ with the letter/numeric 5 on the right pane (the right
> pane must be WHITE and not GREY so that it has the focus).
>
> --
> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
> MVP - Windows Live Platform
> Email: sylvain2009 sylvainlafontaine com (fill the blanks, no spam please)
> Independent consultant and remote programming for Access and SQL-Server
> (French)
>

> "Don Reynolds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I wasn't aware that you could import Access Forms, Mods, and Reports.
> >
> > If I try to Import Access data it will hang forever trying to connect to
> > the
> > other ADP.
> >
> > --
> > /* Don Reynolds */
> >

> > "Sylvain Lafontaine" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you try to create a blank ADP project and import everything into it?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
> >> MVP - Windows Live Platform
> >> Email: sylvain2009 sylvainlafontaine com (fill the blanks, no spam
> >> please)
> >> Independent consultant and remote programming for Access and SQL-Server
> >> (French)
> >>

> >> "Don Reynolds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Sylvain Lafontaine

      31st Jul 2009
Also, if you did remember the name of the server, you could have created an
alias on your local machine in either the file HOSTS (for a TCP/IP address)
or with the SQL-Server Client Configuration utility (for SQL-Server 2000,
the name and location has changed with SQL-Server 2005+) in order to fake a
false server on your local machine.

Knowing the name of the database is not necessary as the login/connection is
with the server and not with the database itself.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform
Email: sylvain2009 sylvainlafontaine com (fill the blanks, no spam please)
(French)

"Don Reynolds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That is exactly what I needed!
> You saved 5 years of code snippets for me!
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
> /* Don Reynolds */
>

> "Sylvain Lafontaine" wrote:
>
>> Download the Hexa Editor XVI32:
>> http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delph...2.htm#download
>>
>> Property0966 is written in Unicode, so each letter/numeric is followed by
>> byte of value 0. The easiest way to search for this is to enter
>> P.r.o.p.e.r.t.y.0.9.6.6. in the search string and check the option "Joker
>> char hex: 2E" at the bottom of the search dialog window. (The decimal
>> point
>> is character 2E in Ascii).
>>
>> Replace the "0" (or 30 in hexadecimal) that you'll find after the
>> Property0966\1\3\ with the letter/numeric 5 on the right pane (the right
>> pane must be WHITE and not GREY so that it has the focus).
>>
>> --
>> Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
>> MVP - Windows Live Platform
>> Email: sylvain2009 sylvainlafontaine com (fill the blanks, no spam
>> please)
>> Independent consultant and remote programming for Access and SQL-Server
>> (French)
>>

>> "Don Reynolds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I wasn't aware that you could import Access Forms, Mods, and Reports.
>> >
>> > If I try to Import Access data it will hang forever trying to connect
>> > the
>> > other ADP.
>> >
>> > --
>> > /* Don Reynolds */

Sylvain Lafontaine

      31st Jul 2009
BTW - and without taking into account the fact that I don't see the point of
having set up the Connection TimeOut to infinity in first place - don't you
have any backup of both the ADP project with its associated database?