"Cannot Locate CD ROM" error message.

Gareth Williams

      24th Aug 2003
I recently got a new computer onto which I have installed
some games (Splinter Cell, The Sims + expansion packs).
These are all original versions from games shops but when
I try to play them I get this error message (roughly):

Cannot locate the CD-ROM. Please insert the correct disc
and restart the application

Now, I have had pirate games before and I know this
message appears when you try to play a copied game, but
is there any reason for it to happen with originals. I
can get a No-CD crack for SC, but the Sims has loads of
expansion packs and is proving more difficult.

Jimmy S.

      24th Aug 2003
Hi Gareth,

When running a restricted user account with fast user switching under Windows XP,
some games will not start correctly. The game requests that the original disk be
placed in the drive, even if it is already present.

To remedy this issue, download and run this fix for Windows XP English Version:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...datesecdrv.exe

If that patch doesn't resolve the issue, there are several troubleshooting steps
outlined in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228985 Another trick
that I found sometimes works is to make the limited account an administrator
account and run that game once. This will allow the registry settings for that user
to be created, and they will still exist after the account is changed back. Good luck! :-)

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk