Cannot install printer

Sal

      9th Feb 2009
I am going around in cirles with this one. I am trying to install An Epson
BX300F series printer but have has some problems. Firstly, it was s pooler
problem which I fixed as per Microsofts's registry tweaks which stopped the
eror message. I then tried to reinstall the printer after first uninstalling
it but then got the following message:
Cannot install the Hardware. There was a problem installing the hardware. An
error occurred during the installation of the device The prinetr naem is
invalid. I then went into run and typed in sfc .scannow to to see if that
would fix the problem. Which of course it did not. Has anybody any ideas
please?
Thanks H

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      9th Feb 2009
start the Print Spooler service

try PnP install again.
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Sal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am going around in cirles with this one. I am trying to install An Epson
> BX300F series printer but have has some problems. Firstly, it was s
> pooler
> problem which I fixed as per Microsofts's registry tweaks which stopped
> the
> eror message. I then tried to reinstall the printer after first
> uninstalling
> it but then got the following message:
> Cannot install the Hardware. There was a problem installing the hardware.
> An
> error occurred during the installation of the device The prinetr naem is
> invalid. I then went into run and typed in sfc .scannow to to see if that
> would fix the problem. Which of course it did not. Has anybody any ideas
> please?
> Thanks H

Sal

      9th Feb 2009
Hi
I checked that and it was already started before I tried to install for the
100th time. Any more suggestions please.

"Sal" wrote:

> I am going around in cirles with this one. I am trying to install An Epson
> BX300F series printer but have has some problems. Firstly, it was s pooler
> problem which I fixed as per Microsofts's registry tweaks which stopped the
> eror message. I then tried to reinstall the printer after first uninstalling
> it but then got the following message:
> Cannot install the Hardware. There was a problem installing the hardware. An
> error occurred during the installation of the device The prinetr naem is
> invalid. I then went into run and typed in sfc .scannow to to see if that
> would fix the problem. Which of course it did not. Has anybody any ideas
> please?
> Thanks H

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      9th Feb 2009
Add a fake local printer to LPT1: using Add Printer

I'm assuming that you have already removed the printer and all the Epson
software once.

I'm also assuming that you have to install the software and only plug the
device into the machine when prompted by the software.

If all else fails and you can add a fake printer, expand the drivers you
obtained from Epson, install the printer to LPT1 using Have Disk to point
to the vendor inf file.

Once the printer is installed, plug the device into USB.

Don't mess with the Hardware install stuff.

Open the print properties and go to Ports. Select USB001, print test page.
If this fails select USB002 .....

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Sal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I checked that and it was already started before I tried to install for
> the
> 100th time. Any more suggestions please.
>
> "Sal" wrote:
>
>> I am going around in cirles with this one. I am trying to install An
>> Epson
>> BX300F series printer but have has some problems. Firstly, it was s
>> pooler
>> problem which I fixed as per Microsofts's registry tweaks which stopped
>> the
>> eror message. I then tried to reinstall the printer after first
>> uninstalling
>> it but then got the following message:
>> Cannot install the Hardware. There was a problem installing the hardware.
>> An
>> error occurred during the installation of the device The prinetr naem is
>> invalid. I then went into run and typed in sfc .scannow to to see if
>> that
>> would fix the problem. Which of course it did not. Has anybody any ideas
>> please?
>> Thanks H

Sal

      10th Feb 2009
Hi Alan
Many thanks for your reply. When I get to the problematic machine I will
try what you suggest. Just one thin I am not sure of is whenyou say:
If all else fails and you can add a fake printer, expand the drivers you
obtained from Epson, install the printer to LPT1 using Have Disk to point
to the vendor inf file. " Can you detail this. Many thanks. Hazel
Ps does the message I keep getting about Power surge on usb port have a
bearing on this. Also, As I believe this problem could have resulted from a
spyware infection (which is now cleared) would reinstalling windows also
resolve the issue?

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Add a fake local printer to LPT1: using Add Printer
>
> I'm assuming that you have already removed the printer and all the Epson
> software once.
>
> I'm also assuming that you have to install the software and only plug the
> device into the machine when prompted by the software.
>

> If all else fails and you can add a fake printer, expand the drivers you
> obtained from Epson, install the printer to LPT1 using Have Disk to point
> to the vendor inf file.
>
> Once the printer is installed, plug the device into USB.
>
> Don't mess with the Hardware install stuff.
>
> Open the print properties and go to Ports. Select USB001, print test page.
> If this fails select USB002 .....
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Sal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > I checked that and it was already started before I tried to install for
> > the
> > 100th time. Any more suggestions please.
> >
> > "Sal" wrote:
> >
> >> I am going around in cirles with this one. I am trying to install An
> >> Epson
> >> BX300F series printer but have has some problems. Firstly, it was s
> >> pooler
> >> problem which I fixed as per Microsofts's registry tweaks which stopped
> >> the
> >> eror message. I then tried to reinstall the printer after first
> >> uninstalling
> >> it but then got the following message:
> >> Cannot install the Hardware. There was a problem installing the hardware.
> >> An
> >> error occurred during the installation of the device The prinetr naem is
> >> invalid. I then went into run and typed in sfc .scannow to to see if
> >> that
> >> would fix the problem. Which of course it did not. Has anybody any ideas
> >> please?
> >> Thanks H

Sal

      10th Feb 2009
Hi Alan
Many thanks for your reply. Will try what you suggest later today. Just
one think, not sure what you mean by "If all else fails and you can add a
fake printer, expand the drivers you obtained from Epson, install the printer
to LPT1 using Have Disk to point to the vendor inf file." Also I keep
getting the message "power surge on USB port" - would this have any bearing
on the problem? If all esle fails, would inserting the windows disk in the
maching and reinstalling windows resolve the issue? Bit of an amateur on this
one.
Many thanks.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Add a fake local printer to LPT1: using Add Printer
>
> I'm assuming that you have already removed the printer and all the Epson
> software once.
>
> I'm also assuming that you have to install the software and only plug the
> device into the machine when prompted by the software.
>

> If all else fails and you can add a fake printer, expand the drivers you
> obtained from Epson, install the printer to LPT1 using Have Disk to point
> to the vendor inf file.
>
> Once the printer is installed, plug the device into USB.
>
> Don't mess with the Hardware install stuff.
>
> Open the print properties and go to Ports. Select USB001, print test page.
> If this fails select USB002 .....
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Sal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > I checked that and it was already started before I tried to install for
> > the
> > 100th time. Any more suggestions please.
> >
> > "Sal" wrote:
> >
> >> I am going around in cirles with this one. I am trying to install An
> >> Epson
> >> BX300F series printer but have has some problems. Firstly, it was s
> >> pooler
> >> problem which I fixed as per Microsofts's registry tweaks which stopped
> >> the
> >> eror message. I then tried to reinstall the printer after first
> >> uninstalling
> >> it but then got the following message:
> >> Cannot install the Hardware. There was a problem installing the hardware.
> >> An
> >> error occurred during the installation of the device The prinetr naem is
> >> invalid. I then went into run and typed in sfc .scannow to to see if
> >> that
> >> would fix the problem. Which of course it did not. Has anybody any ideas
> >> please?
> >> Thanks H

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      11th Feb 2009
never experienced a usb power surge before.

Reinstall fixes all the problems. It's the last resort.

I'm saying do not use the setup program from Epson, install the print driver
using the inf file instead (Add Printer)