PC Review

Cannot install PC games

7th Jun 2005
Ever since I got my windows XP reinstalled with SP2 (by a technician, due to a sudden disappearance of the CD rom Drive), I can no longer install any PC games. When I insert a PC game CD rom, and install wizard will come up as usual and takes me through all the proceedings, and then it will tell me the game is now installed, but when I click on the icon or the start game button, I always get a windows error message saying "engine.exe has enountered a problem and needs to be closed". It happens to every game, new or old. Although I can successfully install any non-gaming programmes like TextPad or Word for example but not PC games. Does it have something to do with my graphics card? or ZoneAlarm firewall? or other drives in my computer? I am a person with very little knowledge about computers ><, please help, thank you in advance.

Rocket Scientist

7th Jun 2005
Any game does that? The only common link I can think of between them all (other than Windows) is probably DirectX.

Perhaps try reinstalling it? : http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dir...ds/default.htm

8th Jun 2005
i installed it, but the problem stays the same. it seems the game cannot find the video drive?! thanks for the help anyway =). anybody knows what else i can do?

Last edited by lostkate; 8th Jun 2005 at 03:03 AM..

The Laptop Nut

8th Jun 2005
Graphics card drivers?

Has grown up and moved on... Fairwell.

8th Jun 2005
^ could it be that mine got taken out? haha is it that even possible!!? i feel dumb saying it lol....

8th Jun 2005
Start - Run

Type "dxdiag"

Click the "Display" tab

Then run the 3d Diagnostic tests

Also the info on Top left will indicate what hardware you have in (Graphics card)
Info Top right will indicate the drivers your using

From there you can determine if you have a hardware or software problem

Hope that helps dude, itís a useful little test to know anyway

Mike Foster

9th Jun 2005
^ thank you for that. =). however the "Test DirectDraw" button is the only button I have that's activated and press-able. I got this message at the bottom when I pressed the Display tab:

"No problems found.
To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer."

AGP Texture Acceleration is also Not Available.

Under "Device" I have everything, and under "Drivers" I have everything except for these:
VDD: unknown
DDI Version: unknown

I am guessing I am missing something huh? although I am not sure what...and what is exactly wrong with my computer ><...

9th Jun 2005
Ok, Think VDD is ok - mine says N/A

Now the DDI version relates to direct x, which is strange as you have followed Ian's advice and re-installed that software

The Direct3d function tests your hardware accelerator (Graphics card) the very fact this is not available means something is a miss

Do you have the original driver cd for your graphics card? My first thoughts are to try and re-install your graphics drivers - before you do this though remove your old ones, if your unsure on that let me know Iíll post the operation. (To be extra safe maybe even back up important files too - this is entirely up to you though)

If you donít have the graphics driver cd - go to the official web site of your graphics card make - most likely ATI or NVIDIA, you will be able to get the latest drivers from there

Ok, let me know how that operation goes - once again fella if they donít work - i have more tricks up my sleeve that may help!

Cheers

Mike Foster

10th Jun 2005
thanks ^ =)

Device:

Name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC

no unfortunately, I have misplaced the original driver cd. I went to the NVIDIA website and and I think this is what I should download right? http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

but I don't know how to remove the old one. Will I still be able to run my computer (like go online and do other work and stuff) once I've taken out the old one? I'm afraid of messing up my computer entirely like I did awhile ago back, because I really don't know much about computers, especially anything to do with what's inside the CPU lol.. -_-"

Rocket Scientist

10th Jun 2005
Yes that looks like the correct drive, just run that and it will install the new driver over the top - and should then work. It shouldn't effect anything else, but have backups just in case

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: