Cannot get rid of service

Alan

      1st May 2009
I installed some software that malfunctioned. After that, I could
not uninstall it or even delete it in Windows or from the DOS prompt
(using administrative privileges. I could not stop an associated
service running.

I rebooted in Safe Mode with CMD prompt and manually deleted the
contents of the software's folder under Program Files. When I
rebooted normally, the same service was running, and I was back in the
same situation.

Any ideas as to what I can do from there? How do I permanently get
rid of that service?

I am using Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit) with SP 1.

Thanks, Alan

Manny Weisbord

      1st May 2009
Alan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I installed some software that malfunctioned. After that, I could
>not uninstall it or even delete it in Windows or from the DOS prompt
>(using administrative privileges. I could not stop an associated
>service running.
>
> I rebooted in Safe Mode with CMD prompt and manually deleted the
>contents of the software's folder under Program Files. When I
>rebooted normally, the same service was running, and I was back in the
>same situation.
>
> Any ideas as to what I can do from there? How do I permanently get
>rid of that service?
>
> I am using Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit) with SP 1.
>
>Thanks, Alan

It might help if you named this mystery service.

Rick Rogers

      1st May 2009
Hi,

What do the distributors of this unnamed software have to say?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I installed some software that malfunctioned. After that, I could
> not uninstall it or even delete it in Windows or from the DOS prompt
> (using administrative privileges. I could not stop an associated
> service running.
>
> I rebooted in Safe Mode with CMD prompt and manually deleted the
> contents of the software's folder under Program Files. When I
> rebooted normally, the same service was running, and I was back in the
> same situation.
>
> Any ideas as to what I can do from there? How do I permanently get
> rid of that service?
>
> I am using Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit) with SP 1.
>
> Thanks, Alan

Gary M

      1st May 2009
"Any ideas... "

Yeah, do a clean install.

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I installed some software that malfunctioned. After that, I could
> not uninstall it or even delete it in Windows or from the DOS prompt
> (using administrative privileges. I could not stop an associated
> service running.
>
> I rebooted in Safe Mode with CMD prompt and manually deleted the
> contents of the software's folder under Program Files. When I
> rebooted normally, the same service was running, and I was back in the
> same situation.
>
> Any ideas as to what I can do from there? How do I permanently get
> rid of that service?
>
> I am using Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit) with SP 1.
>
> Thanks, Alan

webster72n

      1st May 2009

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I installed some software that malfunctioned. After that, I could
> not uninstall it or even delete it in Windows or from the DOS prompt
> (using administrative privileges. I could not stop an associated
> service running.
>
> I rebooted in Safe Mode with CMD prompt and manually deleted the
> contents of the software's folder under Program Files. When I
> rebooted normally, the same service was running, and I was back in the
> same situation.
>
> Any ideas as to what I can do from there? How do I permanently get
> rid of that service?

What a temptation to say: "trash the whole thing and start from scratch!"
But, as mentioned already, what is the identity of that mysterious software?
<H>.

> I am using Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit) with SP 1.
>
> Thanks, Alan

Shiann

      1st May 2009
Have you tried Microsoft's Installer Cleanup Utility to remove that program
and all components? support.microsoft.com/kb290301 just deleting files want
stop service from running.

--
Shiann

"Alan" wrote:

> I installed some software that malfunctioned. After that, I could
> not uninstall it or even delete it in Windows or from the DOS prompt
> (using administrative privileges. I could not stop an associated
> service running.
>
> I rebooted in Safe Mode with CMD prompt and manually deleted the
> contents of the software's folder under Program Files. When I
> rebooted normally, the same service was running, and I was back in the
> same situation.
>
> Any ideas as to what I can do from there? How do I permanently get
> rid of that service?
>
> I am using Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit) with SP 1.
>
> Thanks, Alan

Alan

      1st May 2009
Problem resolved. I rebooted in Safe Mode, uninstalled and deleted
the software, and rebooted.

The mysterious software was some not-to-be-named (proprietary)
beta software, nothing publicly available yet.

Thanks, Alan

webster72n

      2nd May 2009

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Problem resolved. I rebooted in Safe Mode, uninstalled and deleted
> the software, and rebooted.
>
> The mysterious software was some not-to-be-named (proprietary)
> beta software, nothing publicly available yet.

Thanks for the feedback, <H>.