Cannot get Exchange email with Outlook 2007 through wireless connection

john doe

      21st Aug 2009
We have Win2003 w/exchange and we have a laptop with WinVista with Outlook
2007 and it won't connect to exchange through the wireless connection. But
it can get on the internet.
Then I turn off the wireless and connect the network cable to it and it
works fine with exchange, etc...
Does anyone know why I can't connect with the wireless to exchange?
Please advise and thanks.

Vince Averello

      21st Aug 2009
Is it an internal to your company connection or an external connection?

"john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have Win2003 w/exchange and we have a laptop with WinVista with Outlook
> 2007 and it won't connect to exchange through the wireless connection. But
> it can get on the internet.
> Then I turn off the wireless and connect the network cable to it and it
> works fine with exchange, etc...
> Does anyone know why I can't connect with the wireless to exchange?
> Please advise and thanks.

john doe

      21st Aug 2009
Internal and thanks for your help.

"Vince Averello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it an internal to your company connection or an external connection?
>
> "john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> We have Win2003 w/exchange and we have a laptop with WinVista with
>> Outlook 2007 and it won't connect to exchange through the wireless
>> connection. But it can get on the internet.
>> Then I turn off the wireless and connect the network cable to it and it
>> works fine with exchange, etc...
>> Does anyone know why I can't connect with the wireless to exchange?
>> Please advise and thanks.

Vince Averello

      21st Aug 2009
Hmmm, check with your IT folk if they've got some sort of differences
between the wireless & wired network. I know in our offices there's a
firewall of sorts between the wireless net and the rest of our
infrastructure.

"john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Internal and thanks for your help.

john doe

      21st Aug 2009
I am the IT guy.
We don't have a firewall between the wireless and our infrastructure.
Thanks for the help.

"Vince Averello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmmm, check with your IT folk if they've got some sort of differences
> between the wireless & wired network. I know in our offices there's a
> firewall of sorts between the wireless net and the rest of our
> infrastructure.
>
> "john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Internal and thanks for your help.

Ben M. Schorr, MVP

      22nd Aug 2009
Do you have a firewall, or different firewall settings, running on your
wireless than on your wired connection on that laptop?

Can you ping the Exchange server, by name, from that laptop?

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uq#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am the IT guy.
> We don't have a firewall between the wireless and our infrastructure.
> Thanks for the help.
>
> "Vince Averello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hmmm, check with your IT folk if they've got some sort of differences
>> between the wireless & wired network. I know in our offices there's a
>> firewall of sorts between the wireless net and the rest of our
>> infrastructure.
>>
>> "john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Internal and thanks for your help.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4357 (20090821) __________

http://www.eset.com

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

      22nd Aug 2009
What version of exchange? Are you using outlook anywhere (rpc over http) or
classic rpc? Did you check the connection status? (ctrl click the outlook
icon in the tray)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed)

Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

"john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uq#(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am the IT guy.
> We don't have a firewall between the wireless and our infrastructure.
> Thanks for the help.
>
> "Vince Averello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hmmm, check with your IT folk if they've got some sort of differences
>> between the wireless & wired network. I know in our offices there's a
>> firewall of sorts between the wireless net and the rest of our
>> infrastructure.
>>
>> "john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Internal and thanks for your help.

john doe

      24th Aug 2009
No, nothing is different. I've turned the firewall off on the vista laptop
which turns it off for the wired and wireless.
I can't ping the exchange server by name but I can ip address with the
wireless connection.
I can ping the exchange server by name and ip with the wired connection.

"Ben M. Schorr, MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you have a firewall, or different firewall settings, running on your
> wireless than on your wired connection on that laptop?
>
> Can you ping the Exchange server, by name, from that laptop?
>
> --
> -Ben-
> Ben M. Schorr, MVP
> Roland Schorr & Tower
> http://www.rolandschorr.com
> http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.html
>
> "john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uq#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am the IT guy.
>> We don't have a firewall between the wireless and our infrastructure.
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> "Vince Averello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hmmm, check with your IT folk if they've got some sort of differences
>>> between the wireless & wired network. I know in our offices there's a
>>> firewall of sorts between the wireless net and the rest of our
>>> infrastructure.
>>>
>>> "john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> signature database 4357 (20090821) __________

> http://www.eset.com

john doe

      24th Aug 2009
Our exchange version is:
ver 6.5 build 7638.2 sp2

We are not using rpc over http. We are using the local lan.
Here's the connection status error I get while using wireless:
Task 'Microsoft Exchange' reported error (0x80040115): 'The
connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must
be online or connected to complete this action.'

Everything is fine with the wired. Even with the wireless I can
still surf the web, etc... except for getting my email via exchange
into Outlook 2007.

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> What version of exchange? Are you using outlook anywhere (rpc over http)
> or classic rpc? Did you check the connection status? (ctrl click the
> outlook icon in the tray)
>
> --
> Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
>
> Outlook Tips by email:
> (E-Mail Removed)

> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Let's Really Fix Outlook 2010
> http://forums.slipstick.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
>
> "john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uq#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am the IT guy.
>> We don't have a firewall between the wireless and our infrastructure.
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> "Vince Averello" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hmmm, check with your IT folk if they've got some sort of differences
>>> between the wireless & wired network. I know in our offices there's a
>>> firewall of sorts between the wireless net and the rest of our
>>> infrastructure.
>>>
>>> "john doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Ben M. Schorr, MVP

      24th Aug 2009
Sounds like you have a DNS issue on the wireless LAN adapter. Check the
TCP/IP settings on the wireless adapter and make sure you've got the right
DNS servers assigned.

Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook 2007:
http://tinyurl.com/ol4law-amazon

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4363 (20090824) __________