Cannot download files, open file attachments, open zip files, WinX

=?Utf-8?B?UG9jb25vam9l?=

      13th Apr 2006
Hi, I have WinXP home edition, SP2 is installed, Windows One Care installed.
I can't download files, open attachments or unzip anything.
At first I noticed that I can't open file attachments in Outlook Express.
Then I couldn't download a game patch from a trusted web site. I downloaded
the patch to my second PC and copied it onto a CD, then copied it to my
desktop of the first PC. It's on the desktop, but it won't unzip. A dialog
box states that it has been blocked, that I can go to the properties of the
file and check the unblock box, but there is nowhere to check. I even tried
to download winzip, that program won't download either. When I try to dowload
something, it looks like it's downloading. But when it's all finished, the
files are nowhere on my PC.
This operating system seems to have too much control over what I want to do.
I'm no expert, but I'm not a novice either. Give me back DOS! LOL!
I tried changing my internet zone. I tried temporarily disabling the
firewall, antivirus, and spyware.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Joe

Elendil

      14th Apr 2006
Have you chosen where you want the files to download? By default I believe
the download location for IE (Internet Explorer) and OE (Outlook Express) is
in Documents and Settings Temp folder. If you haven't told OE or IE where to
download they normally download your items into that folder. Also, a little
side note: Windows OneCare is JUNK (no offense to those who like it). If
you're paying for it please do yourself a favor and remove that piece of
useless trash. Please go to the Downloads page of my website:
www.stopmalware.tk and look for the anti-virus section. There, you will see
four decent and FREE anti-virus programs. All of them are much better then
Windows OneCare. I recommend AVG Free Edition or AntiVir.

"Poconojoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I have WinXP home edition, SP2 is installed, Windows One Care
> installed.
> I can't download files, open attachments or unzip anything.
> At first I noticed that I can't open file attachments in Outlook Express.
> Then I couldn't download a game patch from a trusted web site. I
> downloaded
> the patch to my second PC and copied it onto a CD, then copied it to my
> desktop of the first PC. It's on the desktop, but it won't unzip. A dialog
> box states that it has been blocked, that I can go to the properties of
> the
> file and check the unblock box, but there is nowhere to check. I even
> tried
> to download winzip, that program won't download either. When I try to
> dowload
> something, it looks like it's downloading. But when it's all finished, the
> files are nowhere on my PC.
> This operating system seems to have too much control over what I want to
> do.
> I'm no expert, but I'm not a novice either. Give me back DOS! LOL!
> I tried changing my internet zone. I tried temporarily disabling the
> firewall, antivirus, and spyware.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Joe

=?Utf-8?B?UG9jb25vam9l?=

      14th Apr 2006
When ever I try to download something it asks where to save it, and I save it
to the desktop, but it never shows up after it appears to download. I've also
tried saving it to a temp file that I created and it doesn't show up there
either. Sometimes when I try downloading something, IE has a yellow bar
across the tool bar area warning and asking to OK the download. Even after I
OK that , the file doesn't download. Again, it appears to download, but it is
nowhere on my PC.
What do you think about Win XP blocking me from opening up zip files? XP
should at least warn me and give me the ultimate decision, but not outright
block what I want to do. I'm getting real frustrated here. An OS should not
have that much control!
Any other ideas?
Thanks for your quick response!

"Elendil" wrote:

> Have you chosen where you want the files to download? By default I believe
> the download location for IE (Internet Explorer) and OE (Outlook Express) is
> in Documents and Settings Temp folder. If you haven't told OE or IE where to
> download they normally download your items into that folder. Also, a little
> side note: Windows OneCare is JUNK (no offense to those who like it). If
> you're paying for it please do yourself a favor and remove that piece of
> useless trash. Please go to the Downloads page of my website:
> www.stopmalware.tk and look for the anti-virus section. There, you will see
> four decent and FREE anti-virus programs. All of them are much better then
> Windows OneCare. I recommend AVG Free Edition or AntiVir.
>

> "Poconojoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I have WinXP home edition, SP2 is installed, Windows One Care
> > installed.
> > I can't download files, open attachments or unzip anything.
> > At first I noticed that I can't open file attachments in Outlook Express.
> > Then I couldn't download a game patch from a trusted web site. I
> > downloaded
> > the patch to my second PC and copied it onto a CD, then copied it to my
> > desktop of the first PC. It's on the desktop, but it won't unzip. A dialog
> > box states that it has been blocked, that I can go to the properties of
> > the
> > file and check the unblock box, but there is nowhere to check. I even
> > tried
> > to download winzip, that program won't download either. When I try to
> > dowload
> > something, it looks like it's downloading. But when it's all finished, the
> > files are nowhere on my PC.
> > This operating system seems to have too much control over what I want to
> > do.
> > I'm no expert, but I'm not a novice either. Give me back DOS! LOL!
> > I tried changing my internet zone. I tried temporarily disabling the
> > firewall, antivirus, and spyware.
> > Any ideas?
> > Thanks,
> > Joe

Randy Reimers

      14th Apr 2006
This may be the "cost" of using Windows OneCare. Uninstall it, reboot, see
if that fixes your problems. It may be blocking, and not telling you that.
The program is that poorly written. Go with AVG Free - seems to work great,
auto-updates, and is a low load on the system.

Randy

> [...]
>> > desktop of the first PC. It's on the desktop, but it won't unzip. A
>> > dialog
>> > box states that it has been blocked, that I can go to the properties of
>> > the
>> > file and check the unblock box, but there is nowhere to check. I even
>> > tried
>> > to download winzip, that program won't download either. When I try to
>> > dowload
>> > something, it looks like it's downloading. But when it's all finished,
>> > the
>> > files are nowhere on my PC.
>> > This operating system seems to have too much control over what I want
>> > do.
>> > I'm no expert, but I'm not a novice either. Give me back DOS! LOL!
>> > I tried changing my internet zone. I tried temporarily disabling the

=?Utf-8?B?UG9jb25vam9l?=

      14th Apr 2006
Ah! you're one of many that have the same opinion of One Care! Maybe I should
uninstall it! I'll try that before I do anything drastic, (like set windows
to it's original state).
I'll get back to you all, and thanks a lot for the help

"Randy Reimers" wrote:

> This may be the "cost" of using Windows OneCare. Uninstall it, reboot, see
> if that fixes your problems. It may be blocking, and not telling you that.
> The program is that poorly written. Go with AVG Free - seems to work great,
> auto-updates, and is a low load on the system.
>
> Randy
>
> "Poconojoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When ever I try to download something it asks where to save it, and I save
> > it
> > to the desktop, but it never shows up after it appears to download. I've
> > also
> > tried saving it to a temp file that I created and it doesn't show up there
> > either. Sometimes when I try downloading something, IE has a yellow bar
> > across the tool bar area warning and asking to OK the download. Even after
> > OK that , the file doesn't download. Again, it appears to download, but it
> > is
> > nowhere on my PC.
> > What do you think about Win XP blocking me from opening up zip files? XP
> > should at least warn me and give me the ultimate decision, but not
> > outright
> > block what I want to do. I'm getting real frustrated here. An OS should
> > not
> > have that much control!
> > Any other ideas?
> > Thanks for your quick response!
> >
> > "Elendil" wrote:
> >
> >> Have you chosen where you want the files to download? By default I
> >> believe
> >> the download location for IE (Internet Explorer) and OE (Outlook Express)
> >> is
> >> in Documents and Settings Temp folder. If you haven't told OE or IE where
> >> download they normally download your items into that folder. Also, a
> >> little
> >> side note: Windows OneCare is JUNK (no offense to those who like it). If
> >> you're paying for it please do yourself a favor and remove that piece of
> >> useless trash. Please go to the Downloads page of my website:
> >> www.stopmalware.tk and look for the anti-virus section. There, you will
> >> see
> >> four decent and FREE anti-virus programs. All of them are much better
> >> then
> >> Windows OneCare. I recommend AVG Free Edition or AntiVir.
> >>

> >> "Poconojoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Thota Umesh

      16th Apr 2006
OneCare has firewall a very good one, pls check the firewall settings
resulting in ur system actions!.