PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Cannot disable wireless network adapter!

 
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      8th Jun 2005
I have a six week old Dell Inspiron 9300 runing XP Pro SP2. It has both
an internal 100 mbs network card and an internal 802.11 a/b/g wireless
adapter. Most of the time I use the wireless adapter and have the wired
adapter disabled. Sometimes I disable the wireless adapter and enable
the wired adapter when I have to copy very large files. The last time I
did this was several weeks ago.

Now, when I right click the wireless adapter and choose Disable I get
an error message, "It is not possible to disable the connection at this
time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not
support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or
the system account."

I have no idea what has changed to cause this. I can disable the
wireless adapter in Device Manager but that is a nuisance. How can I
fix this problem so I can once again disable the wireless adapter?

Thanks,
--
_Bill_
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Matt Gibson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      8th Jun 2005
Isn't there a hardware switch on the laptop itself that you can use to shut
off the wireless adapter? I'd be suprised if there wasn't.

Matt Gibson - GSEC


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BigJim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      8th Jun 2005
you may have to reinstall the drivers. BTW look on the hard drive for a
folder called , Drivers,
copy it to a cdr and save it put it in a safe place. These are the drivers
for your specific machine.
It makes it so easy to reinstall everything. The drivers are all unzipped.
Windows XP may not have
all of them, it has some of them. Like I upgraded to xp pro on my inspiron
1100, it didn't have the video drivers, so when xp was finished installing I
put the driver disk in the cd rom drive. I then went to device manager, open
the display adapters and told it to upgrade the drivers. Pointed it at the
driver disk and bang, the video was back.


"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:es$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a six week old Dell Inspiron 9300 runing XP Pro SP2. It has both
> an internal 100 mbs network card and an internal 802.11 a/b/g wireless
> adapter. Most of the time I use the wireless adapter and have the wired
> adapter disabled. Sometimes I disable the wireless adapter and enable
> the wired adapter when I have to copy very large files. The last time I
> did this was several weeks ago.
>
> Now, when I right click the wireless adapter and choose Disable I get
> an error message, "It is not possible to disable the connection at this
> time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not
> support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or
> the system account."
>
> I have no idea what has changed to cause this. I can disable the
> wireless adapter in Device Manager but that is a nuisance. How can I
> fix this problem so I can once again disable the wireless adapter?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> _Bill_



 
Reply With Quote
 
John Shaw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      9th Jun 2005

"Matt Gibson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Isn't there a hardware switch on the laptop itself that you can use to
> shut off the wireless adapter? I'd be suprised if there wasn't.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>


True, many provide a switch, some are software based through a seperate
utility -- I've encountered this issue with my home system but never had
the time or the inclination to troubleshoot as it's a USB adapter and
unplugging it is as easy as sitting up in my seat and reaching. I'd be
interested in a solution as well... but I recall being able to disable the
adapter at some point in time... perhaps a windows update or some other
software made a change or is preventing the ability to disable the wireless
adapter.

It seems in this case, since Bill can still disable his wired adapter, that
it is an issue specific to a wireless adapter, and it's a problem worth
solving since some laptops do not have a hard switch to disable it. I'd be
interested to know if there is a software utility that came with his laptop
that disables the adapter, and if in fact that works or not... or perhaps
this is grasping at straws... :\


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence A. Wong
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      9th Jun 2005
Assuming you have both an Ethernet port and a built in Wi-Fi adaptor of some
sort, under Network Connections, it will list the different ways your
computer can connect to the internet.

These are usually "Local Area Network" for a Wired connection and "Wireless
Network Connection" for a wireless connection. If you want to disable an
adaptor, just disable the respective connection. It disables the connection
by disabling the adaptor.

--
Regards,

Lawrence Wong
"John Shaw" <anon> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Matt Gibson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Isn't there a hardware switch on the laptop itself that you can use to
>> shut off the wireless adapter? I'd be suprised if there wasn't.
>>
>> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>>

>
> True, many provide a switch, some are software based through a seperate
> utility -- I've encountered this issue with my home system but never had
> the time or the inclination to troubleshoot as it's a USB adapter and
> unplugging it is as easy as sitting up in my seat and reaching. I'd be
> interested in a solution as well... but I recall being able to disable the
> adapter at some point in time... perhaps a windows update or some other
> software made a change or is preventing the ability to disable the
> wireless adapter.
>
> It seems in this case, since Bill can still disable his wired adapter,
> that it is an issue specific to a wireless adapter, and it's a problem
> worth solving since some laptops do not have a hard switch to disable it.
> I'd be interested to know if there is a software utility that came with
> his laptop that disables the adapter, and if in fact that works or not...
> or perhaps this is grasping at straws... :\
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?QWxseQ==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      27th Sep 2006


"Jarib" wrote:

>
> I am having he same issue on my Dell Inspiron. The only problem is that
> the automatic network repair will not work since part of this process is
> disabling the adaptor. Has anyone had any luck figuring this out?
>
>
> --
> Jarib
> Posted via http://ms-os.com Forum to Usenet gateway
>
>

I also cannot disable my new Lenovo PC's wireless adapter and I need to to
test some AP gear
 
Reply With Quote
 
Yves Leclerc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      28th Sep 2006
This "disable" process should only be for a "short-time" in order for the XP
file to be reset. You will then have the wireless card re-enabled as if
nothing happened.

You could always locate and try Winsockxpfix?



On 27/09/2006 Ally <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>"Jarib" wrote:
>
>>
>> I am having he same issue on my Dell Inspiron. The only problem is that
>> the automatic network repair will not work since part of this process is
>> disabling the adaptor. Has anyone had any luck figuring this out?
>>
>>
>> --
>> Jarib
>> Posted via http://ms-os.com Forum to Usenet gateway
>>
>>

>I also cannot disable my new Lenovo PC's wireless adapter and I need to to
>test some AP gear


--
---

Y.

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?QWxseQ==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      28th Sep 2006


Thanks, Yyves, but I am not familiar w/ Winsockxpfix. I am unable to
disable the wireless connection even briefly and get the following message:

It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. The connection
may be
using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may
have been
initiated by another user or the system account.

There is only one user on the machine as far as I know and I don't know what
to do to diable this connection.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Dell wireless 1390 WLAN Mini Card cannot connect to a wireless network GT Computer Hardware 2 2nd May 2011 10:31 AM
Re: Dell wireless 1390 WLAN Mini Card cannot connect to a wireless network hwf Computer Hardware 0 29th Apr 2011 06:30 AM
Cannot Find Wireless Network Icon under "Manager Network Connectio Confu Windows Vista Networking 3 8th Apr 2008 04:24 PM
No wireless network tab under wireless network connections 0101 Windows XP Configuration 0 8th Jan 2008 12:23 PM
Wireless network on my XP machine drops out when finding another wireless network =?Utf-8?B?YnJlbmRhbg==?= Windows XP Networking 1 25th Feb 2004 11:02 AM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:45 AM.