Cannot Delete Registry Keys

Bill Hawk

      2nd Apr 2005
I am having problems installing a new HP multifunction printer.

The problem seems to be "left over" registry entries from an old HP
printer, under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\Vid_03f0&Pid_0101

for an old scanner, and possibly

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\Vid_0000&Pid_0000

for who knows what.

But, when I try to delete these keys, even as adminstrator in safe mode,
I am told "Cannot delete <foo>: Error while deleting key."

I have tried a variety of spyware sweeps, registry fixes, etc.

Any suggestions as to why I would be unable to delete the keys, and what
I could change to allow their removal?

TIA.

Dave Patrick

      2nd Apr 2005
You only need to be concerned with CurrentControlSet. Looking in;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
you'll find the D_Word values for
"Current"=dword:00000001
"Default"=dword:00000001
"Failed"=dword:00000000
"LastKnownGood"=dword:00000002

CurrentControlSet is volatile and will always be an image (at boot) of
what's defined in ControlSetx where x = the value of "Current"

Choosing last known good boots the system with the control set that last
successfully booted your system. Control sets contain system configuration
information such as device drivers and services.

To display hidden devices, non-Plug and Play devices, and devices not
attached to the computer (commonly known as "ghosted" or "phantom" devices)
Save the following two lines as a file then execute.

--------------------------setdev.bat---------------------
set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
start devmgmt.msc

Then, View|Show Hidden Devices to remove or reconfigure these devices. Do
not edit the registry.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bill Hawk" wrote:
|I am having problems installing a new HP multifunction printer.
|
| The problem seems to be "left over" registry entries from an old HP
| printer, under
|
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\Vid_03f0&Pid_0101
|
| for an old scanner, and possibly
|
| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\Vid_0000&Pid_0000
|
| for who knows what.
|
| But, when I try to delete these keys, even as adminstrator in safe mode,
| I am told "Cannot delete <foo>: Error while deleting key."
|
| I have tried a variety of spyware sweeps, registry fixes, etc.
|
| Any suggestions as to why I would be unable to delete the keys, and what
| I could change to allow their removal?
|
| TIA.

Bill Hawk

      3rd Apr 2005
E'er sunset on the day of dying, Dave Patrick wrote:

> To display hidden devices, non-Plug and Play devices, and devices not
> attached to the computer (commonly known as "ghosted" or "phantom"
> devices) Save the following two lines as a file then execute.
>
> --------------------------setdev.bat---------------------
> set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
> start devmgmt.msc
>
> Then, View|Show Hidden Devices to remove or reconfigure these devices.
> Do not edit the registry.

How about "unknown" (Vid_0000) devices? Is there a reason to get rid of
those? Or not to?

Thanks.

Dave Patrick

      3rd Apr 2005
If it's listed as unknown then it probably isn't doing you any good.