Cannot create a new partition on my hard drive through Logical Disk Manager

bidalah@yahoo.com

      30th Nov 2006
Hello all,

I am simply trying to create a new 20 gig partition on my 160gb hard
drive. There is already a single 15 gig partition on the disk in which
I am running Windows 2000. I have tried creating both primary and
extended partitions ( I only need extended). Every time I get the same
error message:

"An internal error has occurred. The Logical Disk Manager service may
have become unstable. Please close the Disk Management snapin window
and restart the Logical Disk manager or reboot the machine".

To date I have:

--Edited the registry to support 48 LBA
--Stopped and restarted both the Logical Disk management service and
the whole computer several times
--Confirmed that my motherboard is set to use 48 LBA
--Updated the disk driver (with a minor update that should not have
mattered to this issue)

None of these have had any impact. I just don't know what else to try.
There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the microsoft site about
this issue (though it is hard to tell since there is no error code or
number to look up). There is no entry made in the system error log
either.

Has anyone seen this error before? Please let me know.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      1st Dec 2006

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> I am simply trying to create a new 20 gig partition on my 160gb hard
> drive. There is already a single 15 gig partition on the disk in which
> I am running Windows 2000. I have tried creating both primary and
> extended partitions ( I only need extended). Every time I get the same
> error message:
>
> "An internal error has occurred. The Logical Disk Manager service may
> have become unstable. Please close the Disk Management snapin window
> and restart the Logical Disk manager or reboot the machine".
>
> To date I have:
>
> --Edited the registry to support 48 LBA
> --Stopped and restarted both the Logical Disk management service and
> the whole computer several times
> --Confirmed that my motherboard is set to use 48 LBA
> --Updated the disk driver (with a minor update that should not have
> mattered to this issue)
>
> None of these have had any impact. I just don't know what else to try.
> There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the microsoft site about
> this issue (though it is hard to tell since there is no error code or
> number to look up). There is no entry made in the system error log
> either.
>
> Has anyone seen this error before? Please let me know.

Instead of hacking the registry to support large disks, you should
install SP4. See here:

I suspect that if your current partition was created without 48-bit
LBA then Windows won't let you create new partitions beyond
the 130 MByte limit. If so then you need to back up your current
installation before repartitioning the disk.

bidalah@yahoo.com

      1st Dec 2006
Hi Pegasus,

Thanks for responding. I guess I should have mentioned in my first
entry, that I have SP4 installed, though the EnableBigLba entry in the
registry wasn't there before I manually entered it.

It's true that the primary partition was created without 48LBA in
windows but then, how else could it have been created? I needed the
partition to load windows before I could hack the registry or install
SP4. 48LBA was enabled by default on the motherboard bios.

My primary partition is 15gig. I am trying to created a new 20gig
extended partition. That still puts me way below the 130gig limit if
48LBA were the problem. At this point I would satisfied with 130 gig.
I've been stuck at 15 gig for weeks now!

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am simply trying to create a new 20 gig partition on my 160gb hard
> > drive. There is already a single 15 gig partition on the disk in which
> > I am running Windows 2000. I have tried creating both primary and
> > extended partitions ( I only need extended). Every time I get the same
> > error message:
> >
> > "An internal error has occurred. The Logical Disk Manager service may
> > have become unstable. Please close the Disk Management snapin window
> > and restart the Logical Disk manager or reboot the machine".
> >
> > To date I have:
> >
> > --Edited the registry to support 48 LBA
> > --Stopped and restarted both the Logical Disk management service and
> > the whole computer several times
> > --Confirmed that my motherboard is set to use 48 LBA
> > --Updated the disk driver (with a minor update that should not have
> > mattered to this issue)
> >
> > None of these have had any impact. I just don't know what else to try.
> > There doesn't seem to be any documentation on the microsoft site about
> > this issue (though it is hard to tell since there is no error code or
> > number to look up). There is no entry made in the system error log
> > either.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this error before? Please let me know.
> >

> Instead of hacking the registry to support large disks, you should
> install SP4. See here:
>
> I suspect that if your current partition was created without 48-bit
> LBA then Windows won't let you create new partitions beyond
> the 130 MByte limit. If so then you need to back up your current
> installation before repartitioning the disk.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      1st Dec 2006
I have come across some products such as snapshot.exe
(a tool to save/restore whole partitions) that create partition
stuctures at sizes that differ from the real size, without giving
me the option of making use of the full disk capacity. To
restore the disk to its full potential I had to do this:
1. Install the disk as a slave disk in some other machine.
1. Copy the system partition to another disk.
2. Repartition the disk.
3. Restore the system partition.

Make sure to include system and hidden files in Steps 2 and 4.