Cannot create a dial-up connection

Larry Wei

      8th Jul 2003
I cannot make a dial up connection to my ISP. I checked my
windows XP configuration. I found there are several places
that seem misconfigured.
1. There is no dial up connection Icon in mt networking
place. I cannot create one
2. There is an advance menu item in the network connection
page, an option called dial up preference is there. When I
click this option, an error message appears, it reads:
error 711, remote access connection manager cannot be
loaded.
3. When I use the create a new connection wizard, I choose
connect internet, along the steps, I choose an option for
configure manually, then in the next step, I do not have
the options for selecting dial up with Modem and DSL. these
options are there but grey out, I cannot select them.
4. I found there are two services that are not started.
One is Remore Access connection manager, another one is
remote access auto connection manager. When I try to start
remote access connection manager, It gives me an error
reading, error 5, access is denied. I am the owner and main
user of my notebook.
My window version is windows XP professional, I did not
install SP1 yet.

Can anybody help me with this? It is very much appreciated.

Ciprian Sabau

      8th Jul 2003
Go to Control Panel>Network Connections>Create a new connection>Connect to
the internet>Set up my connection manually.

Ciprian

"Larry Wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:105c01c3455d$e1045b20$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I cannot make a dial up connection to my ISP. I checked my
> windows XP configuration. I found there are several places
> that seem misconfigured.
> 1. There is no dial up connection Icon in mt networking
> place. I cannot create one
> 2. There is an advance menu item in the network connection
> page, an option called dial up preference is there. When I
> click this option, an error message appears, it reads:
> error 711, remote access connection manager cannot be
> loaded.
> 3. When I use the create a new connection wizard, I choose
> connect internet, along the steps, I choose an option for
> configure manually, then in the next step, I do not have
> the options for selecting dial up with Modem and DSL. these
> options are there but grey out, I cannot select them.
> 4. I found there are two services that are not started.
> One is Remore Access connection manager, another one is
> remote access auto connection manager. When I try to start
> remote access connection manager, It gives me an error
> reading, error 5, access is denied. I am the owner and main
> user of my notebook.
> My window version is windows XP professional, I did not
> install SP1 yet.
>
> Can anybody help me with this? It is very much appreciated.

larry

      8th Jul 2003
Thanks a lot, you point to the exact solution I need.
I followed the procedure there.
The telephony service is started alreay.
However, when I try to start Remote access connection
manager, An error message appears reading:
error 5, Access is denied, this service cannnot be started
from local system.

Can you help me with this?
It si much appreaciated.

us;330163

>--
>
>This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and

confers NO rights
>"Larry Wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:105c01c3455d$e1045b20$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I cannot make a dial up connection to my ISP. I checked

my
>> windows XP configuration. I found there are several

places
>> that seem misconfigured.
>> 1. There is no dial up connection Icon in mt networking
>> place. I cannot create one
>> 2. There is an advance menu item in the network

connection
>> page, an option called dial up preference is there.

When I
>> click this option, an error message appears, it reads:
>> error 711, remote access connection manager cannot be
>> loaded.
>> 3. When I use the create a new connection wizard, I

choose
>> connect internet, along the steps, I choose an option

for
>> configure manually, then in the next step, I do not have
>> the options for selecting dial up with Modem and DSL.

these
>> options are there but grey out, I cannot select them.
>> 4. I found there are two services that are not started.
>> One is Remore Access connection manager, another one is
>> remote access auto connection manager. When I try to

start
>> remote access connection manager, It gives me an error
>> reading, error 5, access is denied. I am the owner and

main
>> user of my notebook.
>> My window version is windows XP professional, I did not
>> install SP1 yet.
>>
>> Can anybody help me with this? It is very much

appreciated.

>.

Wajihy [MSFT]

      8th Jul 2003
also do you have SP1 installed?

--

This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights
"larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0ec401c34563$8012cb20$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks a lot, you point to the exact solution I need.
> I followed the procedure there.
> The telephony service is started alreay.
> However, when I try to start Remote access connection
> manager, An error message appears reading:
> error 5, Access is denied, this service cannnot be started
> from local system.
>
> Can you help me with this?
> It si much appreaciated.

Larry

      8th Jul 2003
1, Yes, I logged on as an admin. It is my notebook,
Logged on as the main user. That should let me do
anything allowed.

2, No, I did not have SP1 installed.

Thanks

Ron Lowe

      8th Jul 2003
> It gives me an error reading, error 5, access is denied.

You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP

Best Regards,
Ron Lowe
MS-MVP Windows Networking