Cannot copy files during install

=?Utf-8?B?aGFwcHkgY29tcHV0ZXI=?=

      6th Oct 2005
I have a 5 yr/ old Dell Dimension that was running ME. I an trying to upgrade
to W2K. I reformatted the drive and then attempted to boot from W2KPro CD.
Cannot boot from CD and I can;t get into BIOS to change boot sequence. I
then ran the W2k set up disks and was able to start the install process from
CD. Goes through a good percent of the install and them comes up with
message that it cannot copy certain files. From taht point on - it can;t
copy any of the remaining files - so I stopped the install. i then
successfully installed w98 and tried upgrading to w2k - same problem???
computer has 10gb hard drive, 128 meg memory

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      6th Oct 2005

"happy computer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a 5 yr/ old Dell Dimension that was running ME. I an trying to

upgrade
> to W2K. I reformatted the drive and then attempted to boot from W2KPro

CD.
> Cannot boot from CD and I can;t get into BIOS to change boot sequence. I
> then ran the W2k set up disks and was able to start the install process

from
> CD. Goes through a good percent of the install and them comes up with
> message that it cannot copy certain files. From taht point on - it can;t
> copy any of the remaining files - so I stopped the install. i then
> successfully installed w98 and tried upgrading to w2k - same problem???
> computer has 10gb hard drive, 128 meg memory

Installing Win98 first in order to upgrade to Win2000 seems a
backwards step and would give you an inferior system.

I suspect an incompatibility between your CD drive and your
Win2000 CD. You could try this:

1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot diskette
(www.bootdisk.com).
2. Run fdisk, then format in order to create a partition
of sufficient size for Win2000.
3. Run this command:
xcopy d:\*.* c:\ /s /e /h
in order to copy the CD to your hard disk. Is the copy
process successful?
4. If yes, type these commands:
c:
cd \i386
winnt
5. After installing Win2000, convert drive C: to NTFS if desired.

Sid Knee

      6th Oct 2005
happy computer wrote:

> I have a 5 yr/ old Dell Dimension that was running ME. I an trying to upgrade
> to W2K. I reformatted the drive and then attempted to boot from W2KPro CD.
> Cannot boot from CD and I can;t get into BIOS to change boot sequence. I
> then ran the W2k set up disks and was able to start the install process from
> CD. Goes through a good percent of the install and them comes up with
> message that it cannot copy certain files. From taht point on - it can;t
> copy any of the remaining files - so I stopped the install. i then
> successfully installed w98 and tried upgrading to w2k - same problem???
> computer has 10gb hard drive, 128 meg memory

Pegaus's suggestion is probably your best bet. You could also try what
worked for me: When it trips up, hold the enter-key down (enter = retry)
to give it repeating inputs until it gets going again.

Dave Patrick

      8th Oct 2005
Cross-post when necessary, but never multi-post. Cross-posting is when you
include two or more groups in the "Newsgroups:" section. In this scenario
the message and all responses are seen in all groups that the message was
cross-posted to. In other words any replies will automatically propagate to
the other newsgroup posts.

Multi-posting is when you post the same message to two or more groups
individually. In this scenario the message is seen in the groups it is
posted to, but the responses are only seen attached to the message (unless
you cross-post the reply) in which the response was made. So those that
frequent these groups then need to deal with or re-read the posts. It may
seem like a small thing to keep track of. But some of us actively traverse
50 or more groups. The poster also then must search out all of the posts to
see if there was a response.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional