CANNOT CLOSE WEB PAGES

TROY

      15th Jan 2004
I Just bought a brand new computer with windows XP Home
Edition,And I have road runner Installed,every time a web
page opens,I cannot click the x to close it at all,If I
visit 10 pages,all 10 remain open until I shut off the
computer,all I wanna do Is be able to close a web page.

Anybody know whats wrong,I already checked all my web
settings and controls.

thanks,you can respond to

(E-Mail Removed) TROY

      15th Jan 2004

Drew Tognola

      15th Jan 2004
troy,
i found this message on the web. it sounds like your problem. I cut & pasted
just the info you need. here it is:

"It consists of a type of browser hijacking, I believe, caused by spyware
installing a BHO, or Browser Helper Object.
To fix the problem, you must edit your registry, so back it up first! Simply
delete this key:"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
entVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects

"Remember, if it doesn't work for you, restore your registry from a recent
backup! It has worked for many people, though, including me."

ps-If you want the site I found this fix. go here:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread1775.html
Drew

"TROY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:042b01c3db6c$8b96e9a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I Just bought a brand new computer with windows XP Home
> Edition,And I have road runner Installed,every time a web
> page opens,I cannot click the x to close it at all,If I
> visit 10 pages,all 10 remain open until I shut off the
> computer,all I wanna do Is be able to close a web page.
>
> Anybody know whats wrong,I already checked all my web
> settings and controls.
>
> thanks,you can respond to
>
> (E-Mail Removed) TROY

Malke

      15th Jan 2004
TROY wrote:

> I Just bought a brand new computer with windows XP Home
> Edition,And I have road runner Installed,every time a web
> page opens,I cannot click the x to close it at all,If I
> visit 10 pages,all 10 remain open until I shut off the
> computer,all I wanna do Is be able to close a web page.
>
> Anybody know whats wrong,I already checked all my web
> settings and controls.
>
> thanks,you can respond to
>
> (E-Mail Removed) TROY

You probably have a spyware infestation. Remove spyware with Spybot
Search & Destroy from www.security.kolla.de and Ad-aware from
www.lavasoftusa.com. Be sure to update these programs before running
them. It is best to run antivirus and spyware removal tools in Safe
Mode. Also, be sure you have a current (post-2002 version using updated
definitions) antivirus program installed.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Jim Macklin

      15th Jan 2004
Some webpages block the close command or will open a new
window when you try to close. Since you are on cable
(RoadRunner) this happens very fast.

Get Zone Alarm (free from www.zonelabs.com ) It is a
firewall and it puts an icon in the system tray (red and
yellow ZA) which has a right click menu with option to STOP
ALL INTERNET ACTIVITY. When you get trapped, right click,
select stop, close the windows and then right click and
enable again.

"TROY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:042b01c3db6c$8b96e9a0$(E-Mail Removed)...
| I Just bought a brand new computer with windows XP Home
| Edition,And I have road runner Installed,every time a web
| page opens,I cannot click the x to close it at all,If I
| visit 10 pages,all 10 remain open until I shut off the
| computer,all I wanna do Is be able to close a web page.
|
| Anybody know whats wrong,I already checked all my web
| settings and controls.
|
| thanks,you can respond to
|
| (E-Mail Removed) TROY

Wesley Vogel

      15th Jan 2004
TROY;
Besides the other good advice posted in this thread, Ctrl + W will
close open IE windows.
10 open windows Ctrl + W 9 or 10 times.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:042b01c3db6c$8b96e9a0$(E-Mail Removed),
TROY <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked: