Cannot change Trusted Sites settings -- buttons are disabled

Frank D. Nicodem, Jr.

      10th Dec 2004
I'm trying to do maintenance on my Windows XP Security settings for Trusted
Sites. I open the Internet Options window, and go to the Security tab. I
can select any of the other zones (i.e., Internet, Local Internet,
Restricted Sites), and I can change the sliders, click on "Sites" to modify
the sites list for that zone, or click on "Custom" to set it up exactly as I
want.

But when I select the "Trusted Sites" zone, everything but the slider is
disabled -- grayed out. I cannot select "Sites" -- either to see, or to
modify, the sites list for Trusted Sites. I cannot click on "Custom" to set
up my own settings. Nothing is enabled but the slider -- which I can move
up and down (and when I move it away from Low, it *does* enable the
"Default" button -- but nothing else).

What's happened? How can I re-enabled the Trusted Sites settings?
Frank D. Nicodem, Jr.
(E-Mail Removed)

Frank D. Nicodem, Jr.

      10th Dec 2004
P.S. This is Windows XP Service Pack 1

Ramesh [MVP]

      10th Dec 2004
Frank,

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2

(* If per-machine Security settings are enabled, navigate to the path under HKLM *)

In the right-pane, double-click "Flags" and click "Decimal"

Note down the value data and post here.

More Information:

Description of Internet Explorer security zones registry entries:

"Flags" value explained in the above page. You may want to add "3" to the existing Flags value:
1 Allow changes to custom settings (Custom-level Slider)
2 Allow users to add Web sites to this zone (The "Sites" button)

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Frank D. Nicodem, Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Thanks! That did the trick! Somehow, my value had been reset to a 0. (I
know it *used* to work -- I just don't know how it got changed.) I changed
it back to 3.

-F-

"Ramesh [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
Frank,

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\2

(* If per-machine Security settings are enabled, navigate to the path under
HKLM *)

In the right-pane, double-click "Flags" and click "Decimal"

Note down the value data and post here.

"Flags" value explained in the above page. You may want to add "3" to the
existing Flags value:
1 Allow changes to custom settings (Custom-level Slider)
2 Allow users to add Web sites to this zone (The "Sites" button)

Ramesh [MVP]

      10th Dec 2004
You're welcome, Frank.

--
[...]

New Member

      16th Jun 2011
im having same issue with my windows explorer 7 for vista. but im not exactly that pc literate. and am not sure how to fix this issue. if anyone can help i would really really appreciate it. thanks becca )