Cannot Change back to Normal size 96 DPI even with Admin Privileges

purplegrrl

      22nd Aug 2006
Hi. I want to change my DPI Setting back to Normal Size 96 DPI from 120.
When I click APPLY I get a dialogue box telling me the required files are
already installed on my hard disk, setup can use these files or can recopy
them from my Windows CD. I have tried both options but I still get the
following error no matter which I use:

Windows Setup has not changed the requested settings. You may not have the
required Admin privilege to install or uninstall new files or drivers.
Please contact your Administrator.

However, I am the only user of my laptop (it's a home computer) so I am the
Administrator. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

TIA ~purplegrrl~

Will Denny

      22nd Aug 2006
Hi

Try a System Restore back to a point before the problem started.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"purplegrrl" <purplegrrl@whatever> wrote in message
news:44eae365$0$5105$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. I want to change my DPI Setting back to Normal Size 96 DPI from 120.
> When I click APPLY I get a dialogue box telling me the required files are
> already installed on my hard disk, setup can use these files or can recopy
> them from my Windows CD. I have tried both options but I still get the
> following error no matter which I use:
>
> Windows Setup has not changed the requested settings. You may not have the
> required Admin privilege to install or uninstall new files or drivers.
> Please contact your Administrator.
>
> However, I am the only user of my laptop (it's a home computer) so I am
> the Administrator. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
>
> TIA ~purplegrrl~

purplegrrl

      22nd Aug 2006
Hi Will - thanks for that....but it was months ago that I changed to the
larger DPI so not quite sure when the prob started!! I did do a system
restore last week in any case to help with another prob - but I was already
having this current prob before and after that system restore.

I read an answer to another post regarding someone not having admin rights -
it involved restarting in Safe Mode then logging into the Admin account
(rather than my usual one). So I just tried that but the Admin account asks
me for a password - I have no idea what it is!!As I am the only user of this
laptop I never set any login passwords. I also tried just clicking enter
with no password but I couldn't get past it.

Will keep scouring - thanks again for your quick reply.

"Will Denny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> Try a System Restore back to a point before the problem started.
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "purplegrrl" <purplegrrl@whatever> wrote in message
> news:44eae365$0$5105$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi. I want to change my DPI Setting back to Normal Size 96 DPI from 120.
>> When I click APPLY I get a dialogue box telling me the required files are
>> already installed on my hard disk, setup can use these files or can
>> recopy them from my Windows CD. I have tried both options but I still get
>> the following error no matter which I use:
>>
>> Windows Setup has not changed the requested settings. You may not have
>> the required Admin privilege to install or uninstall new files or
>> drivers. Please contact your Administrator.
>>
>> However, I am the only user of my laptop (it's a home computer) so I am
>> the Administrator. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
>>
>> TIA ~purplegrrl~

purplegrrl

      22nd Aug 2006

> Will keep scouring - thanks again for your quick reply.

Sorry - when I read that back it sounded ambiguous!! I meant "I" will keep
scouring (Google etc for a fix!!)

Homer S.

      24th Aug 2006
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:58:44 +1000, "purplegrrl" <purplegrrl@whatever>
wrote:

>Hi. I want to change my DPI Setting back to Normal Size 96 DPI from 120.
>When I click APPLY I get a dialogue box telling me the required files are
>already installed on my hard disk, setup can use these files or can recopy
>them from my Windows CD. I have tried both options but I still get the
>following error no matter which I use:
>
>Windows Setup has not changed the requested settings. You may not have the
>required Admin privilege to install or uninstall new files or drivers.
>Please contact your Administrator.
>
>However, I am the only user of my laptop (it's a home computer) so I am the
>Administrator. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
>
>TIA ~purplegrrl~

Check for a virus/spyware/worm/trojan/etc. - these types of infections
will sometimes prevent you from making any changes to Windows because
they think you're trying to get rid of them - self preservation, I would
assume. Try this: http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Good Luck,
Homer J.