PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Cannot access system restore or time & date

 
 
Ed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      4th Mar 2009
I am using Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 on a Compaq Presario 2100.
I am logged on as the computer administrator. It is a home computer that I
am using at home. All of a sudden, I have the following problems.

1) When I go to control panel, then to System, the system restore tab is
now missing. However, System Restore is still found in
Start/programs/accessories/system tools

2) When I click on System Restore, I get the following message: "You do not
have sufficient security priviledges to restore your system. Please contact
your administrator, or log out and log in again as an administrator and try
again"

3) When I click on date and time properties in lower right hand corner of
desktop, I get the following message "You do not have the proper privilege
level to change the system time"

As I said, my username is logged on as the computer administrator so I dont
know why all of a sudden I do not have access to system restore or ability to
change time and date.

Please provide an explanation as to what I am supposed to do.
--
Ed
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      4th Mar 2009
Ed wrote:

(snip multipost)

Asked and answered in the other newsgroup to which you posted. Please don't
multipost; it makes more work for everyone and will get you *less* help,
not more. See this for why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting

If you have forgotten where you posted or can't find your post, use Google
Groups Advanced Search and search for your name.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Apr 2009
Thanks for the question Ed.
Horrible responce Malke.
I am trying to find a solution with a similar problem and then I only find
this responce. That responce was not helpful to others. It especially does
not make much since to be in a microsoft newgroup and directing someone to
goto google for searching.
It would have been MUCH MORE helpful to actually have linked to the solution.
Thanks.

"Malke" wrote:

> Ed wrote:
>
> (snip multipost)
>
> Asked and answered in the other newsgroup to which you posted. Please don't
> multipost; it makes more work for everyone and will get you *less* help,
> not more. See this for why:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting
>
> If you have forgotten where you posted or can't find your post, use Google
> Groups Advanced Search and search for your name.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
1PW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Apr 2009
On 03/31/2009 08:19 PM, Joe sent:
> Thanks for the question Ed.
> Horrible response Malke.
> I am trying to find a solution with a similar problem and then I only find
> this response. That response was not helpful to others. It especially does
> not make much since to be in a microsoft newsgroup and directing someone to
> goto google for searching.
> It would have been MUCH MORE helpful to actually have linked to the solution.
> Thanks.


Hello Joe:

Before I try to show you our point of view, please let me invite you to
open a new post with /your/ current trouble so that you may have a well
functioning system. Choose the newsgroup wisely and crosspost *ONLY* if
you absolutely believe it's worthy (High Priority or an Emergency for
the masses). But please don't multipost!

Many newcomers, to these newsgroups, believe that their post will only
be scanned by a few, and then probably forgotten. They sometimes
believe that they can not function without fixing their problem - *NOW*.
Many are too rattled and upset to do even the most basic research. In
their condition, many can not even begin to identify their own systems
to us. Some can't phrase the subject matter in a few words and thus
type: "HELP!" or "XP is broken" or the like. Although well born, raised
and educated, many can't form complete thoughts nor compose a
grammatically correct sentence. A few still haven't found their spell
checkers. But, using theories from other walks of life, the newcomer
*multiposts* to all manner of newsgroups using "shotgun" techniques as
if they might be using newspaper want-ads.

We come across the first post, and if we choose to help, we may do
lengthy research if indeed we received adequate information. Malke does
precisely that. Her posts are well thought out, polite and in the vast
majority of instances, spot on as one might expect from an excellent
MS-MVP, who also runs her own computer maintenance company. Though some
of her responses are canned, they represent time honored solutions and
if URLs are given, they're Internet safe locations with good reputations.

In continuing through the newsgroups, a familiar post is found that was
answered at length in another newsgroup. However, the difference is
that /our/ response to the first post, is not to be found in this
thread, or another has done equally careful research and has posted a
similar answer. We then know that the OP has multiposted, and if they
multiposted to two newsgroups, they've posted to many more. Now -
should _we_ seek all the possible newsgroups that our newcomer has
posted in. Many of us will not. It behooves the *OP* to keep track of
where they've posted. *OR* maybe they should have instead, educated
themselves prior to turning their computers on.

So Joe. Place yourself in our position. Organize your thinking. Do
some research (I know that /YOU/ were), carefully think of the facts in
a linear manner. Tell us what your system consists of. Tell us when it
occurred and what steps have you taken to resolve the issue. Use all of
your senses to describe the problem. Be polite. Wait for us to respond.

<http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm>
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
<http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm>

Thank you. My spleen has now been vented. Morpheus beckons. :-)

Pete
--
1PW @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
 
Reply With Quote
 
jinxy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      1st Apr 2009
On Apr 1, 5:47*am, 1PW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 03/31/2009 08:19 PM, Joe sent:
>
> > Thanks for the question Ed.
> > Horrible response Malke.
> > I am trying to find a solution with a similar problem and then I only find
> > this response. That response was not helpful to others. It especially does
> > not make much since to be in a microsoft newsgroup and directing someone to
> > goto google for searching.
> > It would have been MUCH MORE helpful to actually have linked to the solution.
> > Thanks.

>
> Hello Joe:
>
> Before I try to show you our point of view, please let me invite you to
> open a new post with /your/ current trouble so that you may have a well
> functioning system. *Choose the newsgroup wisely and crosspost *ONLY* if
> you absolutely believe it's worthy (High Priority or an Emergency for
> the masses). *But please don't multipost!
>
> Many newcomers, to these newsgroups, believe that their post will only
> be scanned by a few, and then probably forgotten. *They sometimes
> believe that they can not function without fixing their problem - *NOW*.
> *Many are too rattled and upset to do even the most basic research. *In
> their condition, many can not even begin to identify their own systems
> to us. *Some can't phrase the subject matter in a few words and thus
> type: "HELP!" or "XP is broken" or the like. *Although well born, raised
> and educated, many can't form complete thoughts nor compose a
> grammatically correct sentence. *A few still haven't found their spell
> checkers. *But, using theories from other walks of life, the newcomer
> *multiposts* to all manner of newsgroups using "shotgun" techniques as
> if they might be using newspaper want-ads.
>
> We come across the first post, and if we choose to help, we may do
> lengthy research if indeed we received adequate information. *Malke does
> precisely that. *Her posts are well thought out, polite and in the vast
> majority of instances, spot on as one might expect from an excellent
> MS-MVP, who also runs her own computer maintenance company. *Though some
> of her responses are canned, they represent time honored solutions and
> if URLs are given, they're Internet safe locations with good reputations.
>
> In continuing through the newsgroups, a familiar post is found that was
> answered at length in another newsgroup. *However, the difference is
> that /our/ response to the first post, is not to be found in this
> thread, or another has done equally careful research and has posted a
> similar answer. *We then know that the OP has multiposted, and if they
> multiposted to two newsgroups, they've posted to many more. *Now -
> should _we_ seek all the possible newsgroups that our newcomer has
> posted in. *Many of us will not. *It behooves the *OP* to keep track of
> where they've posted. **OR* maybe they should have instead, educated
> themselves prior to turning their computers on.
>
> So Joe. *Place yourself in our position. *Organize your thinking. *Do
> some research (I know that /YOU/ were), carefully think of the facts in
> a linear manner. Tell us what your system consists of. *Tell us when it
> occurred and what steps have you taken to resolve the issue. *Use all of
> your senses to describe the problem. *Be polite. *Wait for us to respond.
>
> * * * * * *<http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm>
> * * * *<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
> * * * * * * <http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm>
>
> Thank you. *My spleen has now been vented. *Morpheus beckons. :-)
>
> Pete
> --
> 1PW *@?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]


Do you speak to your mother like that? Where as your computer skills
may be high (self righteous?) your people skills could use a bit of
refining.
-J
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
System Restore can't restore to restore point TYSmitty Windows XP General 11 3rd Oct 2009 04:24 AM
System Restore: do restore points persist after a restore? Qu0ll Windows Vista General Discussion 3 12th Apr 2008 02:36 PM
System Restore or Password Restore or Accout Restore Mr.Peter.Pham@gmail.com Windows XP Help 2 28th Dec 2006 08:17 AM
System Restore does not restore the System to earlier date Admin Windows XP General 7 25th Apr 2005 12:26 PM
System Restore can't restore to a previous Restore Point? Chuck Dreier Windows XP General 5 20th Mar 2004 01:00 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:48 PM.