Cannot access shares on home network

Bob B

      14th Mar 2010
I have a 2 pc network connected via my DSL modem. A is my desktop cable
connected B is my laptop connected wirelessly I can see both machines but
cannot connect to shares. When I try I get the message "not enough server
storage is available to process this command".
I'm using WinXP pro SP2. I've run the network setup wizard many times. Every
time it cannot finish. It says "an error occurred during configuration of the
network on this computer"
Both machines can access the internet fine.
I use Comodo firewall. My network is listed in Network Zones with a range of
addresses for my network.
I have been struggling with this for longer than I can remember. Would
greatly appreciate any help

thank you

Jack [MVP-Networking]

      14th Mar 2010
Hi
The specific Error is addressed here, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078
In general, make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows
free local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native
Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your
Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult
your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing
XP -http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing
XP -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Bob B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a 2 pc network connected via my DSL modem. A is my desktop cable
> connected B is my laptop connected wirelessly I can see both machines but
> cannot connect to shares. When I try I get the message "not enough server
> storage is available to process this command".
> I'm using WinXP pro SP2. I've run the network setup wizard many times.
> Every
> time it cannot finish. It says "an error occurred during configuration of
> the
> network on this computer"
> Both machines can access the internet fine.
> I use Comodo firewall. My network is listed in Network Zones with a range
> of
> addresses for my network.
> I have been struggling with this for longer than I can remember. Would
> greatly appreciate any help
>
> thank you

Bob B

      15th Mar 2010
As stated in my original post my network is listed in the trusted zone. I
have windows firewall off. As to kb177078 I've increased the irpstacksize to
the maximum.
Any suggestions concerning why network setup wizard doesn't finish?