canceling future meetings of a recurring meeting

=?Utf-8?B?RG9rb3Rv?=

      29th Aug 2007
One of the common calendaring things we do at our company is discontinue
recurring meetings when a project is over. Yet when you cancel the meeting,
all meeting times (past, present and future) are removed from the calendar.
It's been too complicated to get people to just change the unlimited end date
to the last meeting date to cancel future meetings only.

yahoo calendar for example presents a "cancel future meetings" option which
I think is more typical since you may want to preserve the calendar as an
archive of meetings you've had in the past.

My question is whether there is a server option to default cancellation of
recurring meetings to future meetings only? After all, how can you
'cancel' a meeting that has already occured? The meeting did happen.

Brian Tillman

      29th Aug 2007
Dokoto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> One of the common calendaring things we do at our company is
> discontinue recurring meetings when a project is over. Yet when you
> cancel the meeting, all meeting times (past, present and future) are
> removed from the calendar. It's been too complicated to get people to
> just change the unlimited end date to the last meeting date to cancel
> future meetings only.
>
> yahoo calendar for example presents a "cancel future meetings" option
> which I think is more typical since you may want to preserve the
> calendar as an archive of meetings you've had in the past.
>
> My question is whether there is a server option to default
> cancellation of recurring meetings to future meetings only? After
> all, how can you 'cancel' a meeting that has already occured? The
> meeting did happen.

Since Outlook recurring events are only one single entry in the calendar,
with the recurrences calculated on the fly, I think the best you can do is
to put an end dat on the recurrence and send an update.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

=?Utf-8?B?RG9rb3Rv?=

      30th Aug 2007
For an calendaring application, this method is lame. As noted, this method
although recommended to the staff is never done and the meeting is canceled
instead. Microsoft needs to enhance Outlook in this area. All other
calendaring applications allow for this "cancel future meetings only"
function.

thanks anyway for thinking about the issue

Brian Tillman

      30th Aug 2007
Dokoto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For an calendaring application, this method is lame. As noted, this
> method although recommended to the staff is never done and the
> meeting is canceled instead. Microsoft needs to enhance Outlook in
> this area. All other calendaring applications allow for this "cancel
> future meetings only" function.

Then use a calendaring application that's more suited to your needs.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

=?Utf-8?B?RG9rb3Rv?=

      30th Aug 2007
I wish I could.

But as with many corporate users, I'm stuck with I.T. standards such as the
user
of the Exchange server and the whole microsoft enchilada including office,
outlook, sharepoint, etc. My only rebellion is to use Firefox and
Thunderbird, but there is no way to create calendar meetings except within
outlook. I.T. gives me grief with my use of mozilla software for e-mail and
browser. Grief means no support.

No choice I'm afraid.

Brian Tillman

      11th Feb 2012

"Todd Vorpahl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> bad response...hope Mr Tillman has moved on by now (for MS sake)
>
> As if i want to update and send out a request to 30 people to re-ACCEPT a
> meeting. Just to remove
> future dates.
>
> Need a "Cancel all future meetings" (no response necessary)

I'm simply telling you how Outlook works, You can't make it work
differently by wishing it were so. I don't work for Microsoft. I have no
control over how is could work if it were written differently.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]