Can you enable/disable macro keyboard shortcuts in excel 2003?

=?Utf-8?B?QnVybmluYXRvcjIwMDA=?=

      18th Sep 2007
Can you enable/disable macro keyboard shortcuts in excel 2003?

Jim Rech

      18th Sep 2007
If a shortcut is assigned to a macro via Tools, Macro, Macros, Options there
is no global way of disabling it. You would have to remove the shortcut
assignment or assign a null macro to it using OnKey:

Application.OnKey "^m", ""

When you removed the OnKey:

Application.OnKey "^m"

the former shortcut would work again.

--
Jim
"Burninator2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Can you enable/disable macro keyboard shortcuts in excel 2003?

=?Utf-8?B?QnVybmluYXRvcjIwMDA=?=

      18th Sep 2007
Its not that I really want to disable the macro, but that I created it in
Excel 97. Now when I try to use the shortcut in 2003 nothing happens. It can
still be run via Tools, Macro etc.. And the keyboard shortcut is still setup
in options. Any ideas? I was wondering if there was a history of problems
like this between different versions of excel.

"Jim Rech" wrote:

> If a shortcut is assigned to a macro via Tools, Macro, Macros, Options there
> is no global way of disabling it. You would have to remove the shortcut
> assignment or assign a null macro to it using OnKey:
>
> Application.OnKey "^m", ""
>
> When you removed the OnKey:
>
> Application.OnKey "^m"
>
> the former shortcut would work again.
>
> --
> Jim
> "Burninator2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Can you enable/disable macro keyboard shortcuts in excel 2003?

Jim Rech

      18th Sep 2007
I think that a macro shortcut would override Excel's use of the keystroke,
say if Excel 2003 used a shortcut that Excel 97 did not (not that I know of
one off the top of my head). So I'd expect your shortcut to work, unless
you had a macro that used OnKey to grab the shortcut. That seems to
override an assignment made via Macro, Options. You could rule that
possibly out by starting Excel 2003 in safe mode and then opening your
workbook and checking if the shortcut worked. To open Excel in safe mode,
from Start->Run enter "Excel.exe /s" (no quotes, there is a space before the
slash). Worth a try even if you're positive there is no OnKey running.

Btw, what is the shortcut key that's not working?

--
Jim
"Burninator2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Its not that I really want to disable the macro, but that I created it in
| Excel 97. Now when I try to use the shortcut in 2003 nothing happens. It
can
| still be run via Tools, Macro etc.. And the keyboard shortcut is still
setup
| in options. Any ideas? I was wondering if there was a history of problems
| like this between different versions of excel.
|
| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| > If a shortcut is assigned to a macro via Tools, Macro, Macros, Options
there
| > is no global way of disabling it. You would have to remove the shortcut
| > assignment or assign a null macro to it using OnKey:
| >
| > Application.OnKey "^m", ""
| >
| > When you removed the OnKey:
| >
| > Application.OnKey "^m"
| >
| > the former shortcut would work again.
| >
| > --
| > Jim
| > "Burninator2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | Can you enable/disable macro keyboard shortcuts in excel 2003?

=?Utf-8?B?QnVybmluYXRvcjIwMDA=?=

      18th Sep 2007
I have found what the problem was. The module name in visual basic was the
same as the macro name. As soon as I changed the module name the shortcut
worked fine. Strangely, this arrangement worked fine in Excel 97 but 2003
wouldn't have it. Also the macro itself would work fine in 2003 just not via
the shortcut. The shortcut I used all along was Ctrl+Shift+R, and this is now
working fine.

Thanks for the advice.