can we install mcafee and norton on the same machine and run together?

apngss@yahoo.com

      28th Sep 2005
I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on the
same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus software both
running at the same time? Why?

Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?

Please advise. thanks!!

Art

      28th Sep 2005
On 28 Sep 2005 07:57:31 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on the
>same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus software both
>running at the same time?

Not usually.

>Why?

They conflict. But you can install as many av as you want and use them
on-demand to scan drives or folders.

>Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?

Which ones? You'd have to try it in most cases to find out.

Art

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
Emergency antivirus sources:
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/KASFX.EXE
http://www.claymania.com/KASFX.EXE

Ted Zieglar

      28th Sep 2005
"Can 2 anti-virus software both running at the same time?"
No.

"Why?"
http://tinyurl.com/8hr5l

"Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?"
Do not attempt to run two software firewalls at the same time.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on the
> same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus software both
> running at the same time? Why?
>
> Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?
>
> Please advise. thanks!!

Vanguard \(NPI\)

      28th Sep 2005
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on the
> same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus software both
> running at the same time? Why?
>
> Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?
>
> Please advise. thanks!!

Yes, but only if ONE and only one of the real-time scanners (aka on-access
scanner) is enabled. However, since only one will have its on-access
scanner running, that means you would need to manually run a scan using the
other program (and, again, running only the AV scan from one program at a
time). In that case, there probably isn't a need to install both. Just use
the online scanning provided at their web site (it downloads an ActiveX
control to run as a client to download the signatures and then scan your
computer). The online scanner won't fix or quarantine any found viruses but
it serves as a second opinion. Then if you find the online scanner finds
something that your local AV program does not, you can choose what to do at
that time, like disabling the local AV program's on-access scanner and
installing the other AV software.

Most times, there is no point in installing more than one anti-virus program
unless, of course, you choose to install some very crappy AV programs
regarding their coverage. Of the two, Norton's AV has higher coverage so
use its scanner. As far as impacting your system, my experience has shown
that Norton and McAfee impact performance equally (and why I went with CA's
EzAntivirus which has minimal performance impact).

For comparisons of coverage between some AV products, see:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Also remember that these are bandaid software. Ultimately it is the user
that decides on the level of security. So your habits (in what you
download, what you run, and how you configure your AV program and response
to it) decides how safe is your host.

E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.

kurttrail

      28th Sep 2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on
> the same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus software
> both running at the same time? Why?
>
> Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?
>
> Please advise. thanks!!

1.) Pick one AV, install it, and let run in real-time.
2.) Learn how to avoid viruses without using a AV program, because no
AV program is perfect.
3.) From time to time, run online AV scanners that isn't from the same
company that your installed AV program is from.
4.) Symantec Sucks! And MacAfee does too! Both are total recourse
hogs.

--
Peace!
Kurt

YoKenny

      28th Sep 2005
Ted Zieglar wrote:
> "Can 2 anti-virus software both running at the same time?"
> No.
>
> "Why?"
> http://tinyurl.com/8hr5l

I don't do _ANY_ tinyurls.com as they can take you _ALL_ kinds of malware
sites!

Add tinyurl.com to your HOSTS file.

> "Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable
> together?" Do not attempt to run two software firewalls at the same
> time.
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on
>> the same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus
>> software both running at the same time? Why?
>>
>> Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable
>> together?
>>
>> Please advise. thanks!!

MAP

      28th Sep 2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and Norton)on
> the same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2 anti-virus software
> both running at the same time? Why?
>
> Similarly, can 2 different internet security software enable together?
>
> Please advise. thanks!!

I wouldn't install either one of then let alone both.

--
Mike Pawlak

What's in a Name?

      28th Sep 2005
"MAP" <(E-Mail Removed)> after much thought,came up
with this in news:OU3#(E-Mail Removed):

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I tried to install 2 anti virus software (both Mcafee and
>> Norton)on the same machine, but it seems didn't work. Can 2
>> anti-virus software both running at the same time? Why?

> I wouldn't install either one of then let alone both.

lol@mike
-max
--
Playing Nice on Usenet:
My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

David H. Lipman

      28th Sep 2005
From: "YoKenny" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Ted Zieglar wrote:
>> "Can 2 anti-virus software both running at the same time?"
>> No.
>>
>> "Why?"
>> http://tinyurl.com/8hr5l

| I don't do _ANY_ tinyurls.com as they can take you _ALL_ kinds of malware
| sites!
|
| Add tinyurl.com to your HOSTS file.

You know, I never looked at it from that POV. It is a good point.
However, TinyURL.Com is good at breaking the links if they are used in spam or for nefarious
reasons.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

David H. Lipman

      28th Sep 2005
From: "MAP" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| I wouldn't install either one of then let alone both.
|
| --
| Mike Pawlak

Many believe that Mike. The retail product's quality drags down the much higher quality of
their corporate/enterprise software solutions.

I think if either is installed (McAfee and Norton) the other won't allow it to be installed.