Can WD or the Malicious software removal tool remove "PSGUARD"?

=?Utf-8?B?TG9yZEhhdm9j?=

      24th Jun 2006
I have found PSGUARD everywhere in my registry and can not even delete that
crap. I am pretty much convinced that it is blocking my abilty to activate my
windows firewall. I am running winXP Pro sp2.

WD detected it once but did not remove it. I have the Microsoft Anti spyware
beta and it found it on every search and showed it to remove and I always
clicked to remove it but obviously it never did.

I am not sure if the malicious software removal tool can be used because it
never finds the PSGUARD. AVG software claims to be able to remove it but it
don't.

Like a bad dream there PSGUARD still sits in my registry and will not delete.

How can this crap be removed. I figured Microsoft surely has the know how to
romove this pain in the ass program.

--
LordHavoc

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

      24th Jun 2006
LordHavoc wrote:

> I have found PSGUARD everywhere in my registry and can not even delete
> that crap. I am pretty much convinced that it is blocking my abilty to
> activate my windows firewall. I am running winXP Pro sp2.
>
> WD detected it once but did not remove it. I have the Microsoft Anti
> spyware beta and it found it on every search and showed it to remove and
> I always clicked to remove it but obviously it never did.
>
> I am not sure if the malicious software removal tool can be used because
> it never finds the PSGUARD. AVG software claims to be able to remove it
> but it don't.
>
> Like a bad dream there PSGUARD still sits in my registry and will not
> delete.
>
> How can this crap be removed. I figured Microsoft surely has the know how
> to romove this pain in the ass program.

See:
"How To Remove The Smitfraud / Psguard / Virtualmaid, Self-Help Guide"

--
Vincenzo Di Russo
Microsoft® MVP - Most Valuable Professional

Dave M

      25th Jun 2006
Families Cleaned by the Malicious Software Removal Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma.../families.mspx
--

Regards, Dave