How can I type a paragraph symbol (looks like backward P)?

Eric_NY

      23rd Apr 2009
I'm using Word 2003.

I assume that this is an available character in one of the standard fonts,
but I can't find it.

Thanks.

JR Hester

      23rd Apr 2009
I, too, am sure there is a alt code for the paragraph mark. However you can
insert that character using te teh insert symbol, special characters tab.

HTH

"Eric_NY" wrote:

> I'm using Word 2003.
>
> I assume that this is an available character in one of the standard fonts,
> but I can't find it.
>
> Thanks.

Eric_NY

      23rd Apr 2009
Thanks.

"JR Hester" wrote:

> I, too, am sure there is a alt code for the paragraph mark. However you can
> insert that character using te teh insert symbol, special characters tab.
>
> HTH
>
> "Eric_NY" wrote:
>
> > I'm using Word 2003.
> >
> > I assume that this is an available character in one of the standard fonts,
> > but I can't find it.
> >
> > Thanks.

JoAnn Paules

      23rd Apr 2009
Alt + 0182

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Eric_NY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using Word 2003.
>
> I assume that this is an available character in one of the standard fonts,
> but I can't find it.
>
> Thanks.

Jeffrey L. Hook

      23rd Apr 2009

I'm a new Word 2007 user and other new users may not know that, in Word
2007, it's necessary first to engage the keyboard "Num Lock" key before
entering ANSI code numbers. The Num Lock key is at the upper-left corner of
the numeric keypad which is on the right end of the standard keyboard. It's
not in the QWERTY section of the keyboard.

Engage the Num Lock key, press the Alt key and hold it in while you type in
the ANSI code from the numeric keypad (not from the row of numbers atop the
QWERTY section of the keyboard). When the desired character has popped up
on the screen, press the Num Lock key again to disengage the key and to
continue with the normal use of the keyboard.

(The "paragraph character" is called a "pilcrow.")

Jeff Hook, NJ, USA

"JoAnn Paules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Alt + 0182

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      23rd Apr 2009
The procedure is the same in all versions of Word (and of course a little
more difficult on a laptop with no numeric keypad).

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Jeffrey L. Hook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm a new Word 2007 user and other new users may not know that, in Word
> 2007, it's necessary first to engage the keyboard "Num Lock" key before
> entering ANSI code numbers. The Num Lock key is at the upper-left corner
> of
> the numeric keypad which is on the right end of the standard keyboard.
> It's
> not in the QWERTY section of the keyboard.
>
> Engage the Num Lock key, press the Alt key and hold it in while you type
> in
> the ANSI code from the numeric keypad (not from the row of numbers atop
> the
> QWERTY section of the keyboard). When the desired character has popped up
> on the screen, press the Num Lock key again to disengage the key and to
> continue with the normal use of the keyboard.
>
> (The "paragraph character" is called a "pilcrow.")
>
> Jeff Hook, NJ, USA
>

> "JoAnn Paules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alt + 0182
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"

grammatim

      24th Apr 2009
If you use the Unicode number rather than the ANSI number, you type it
on the regular numbers and follow it with Alt-X.

("Pilcrow" is an abomination invented not too many years ago, of
unknown etymology and with no historical use in typography.)

On Apr 23, 6:18*pm, "Jeffrey L. Hook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm a new Word 2007 user and other new users may not know that, in Word
> 2007, it's necessary first to engage the keyboard "Num Lock" key before
> entering ANSI code numbers. *The Num Lock key is at the upper-left corner of
> the numeric keypad which is on the right end of the standard keyboard. *It's
> not in the QWERTY section of the keyboard.
>
> Engage the Num Lock key, press the Alt key and hold it in while you type in
> the ANSI code from the numeric keypad (not from the row of numbers atop the
> QWERTY section of the keyboard). *When the desired character has poppedup
> on the screen, press the Num Lock key again to disengage the key and to
> continue with the normal use of the keyboard.
>
> (The "paragraph character" is called a "pilcrow.")
>
> Jeff Hook, NJ, USA
>
> "JoAnn Paules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alt + 0182
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies"

macropod

      24th Apr 2009
Another way is to press Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces (ie '{}') and type 'QUOTE 182' between them (ie '{QUOTE 182}'),
then press F9.

--
Cheers
macropod