Can I trick XP into thinking it installed a certain critical update(kb095474)

XP Guy

      28th Nov 2008
If I have "hidden" kb095474 when performing manual updates, will XP
still try to download it if I fully enable automatic updates?

Can I fool XP into thinking that it downloaded and installed kb095474
(windows genuine advantage notification) so that if automatic updates
are fully enabled then it will not download it? Perhaps by installing
certain modified files that I might be able to find on the net? Or
changing/adding registry entries?

Bonus question:

Why did MS re-use the same kb number 095474 for the recent WGA
notification tool as it used for the same tool 2 years ago?

Twayne

      28th Nov 2008
> If I have "hidden" kb095474 when performing manual updates, will XP
> still try to download it if I fully enable automatic updates?

No, pretty sure no.

> Can I fool XP into thinking that it downloaded and installed kb095474
> (windows genuine advantage notification) so that if automatic updates
> are fully enabled then it will not download it? Perhaps by installing
> certain modified files that I might be able to find on the net? Or
> changing/adding registry entries?

No, you'd be months trying to get the infor together, and in the end
would have installed the update.

This whole first part doesn't make sense to me.

> Bonus question:
>
> Why did MS re-use the same kb number 095474 for the recent WGA
> notification tool as it used for the same tool 2 years ago?

So that no one downloads the bad one again; only the fixed one. So
what's the problem with downloding it?

Twayne

Swifty

      28th Nov 2008
Twayne wrote:
>> Why did MS re-use the same kb number 095474 for the recent WGA
>> notification tool as it used for the same tool 2 years ago?

> So that no one downloads the bad one again; only the fixed one. So
> what's the problem with downloding it?

It seem to me that WGA downloads almost every time that I apply updates.
It doesn't worry me, as my system is as genuine as they come.
I've always assumed that the detection of non-genuine systems has to
change frequently to keep up with the pirates latest tricks. In the same
way as my antibodies have to adapt to the latest disease that is
attempting to lay me low.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html

Kelly

      5th Dec 2008
Yes. Either modify the .vbs from line 266:

Or manually make the changes via the registry.

Added note: On line 402 (right hand side) I have a SP Blocker kit listed:

All the Best and Happy Holidays,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!