Can I stop rounding in excel?

=?Utf-8?B?Sm1hZGRlbg==?=

      12th Jan 2005
I am doing come calculations and end up with 139.7 for example. If I format
the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to
140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I
turn the rounding feature off?

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

      12th Jan 2005
Jmadden wrote:
> I am doing come calculations and end up with 139.7 for example. If I format
> the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to
> 140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I
> turn the rounding feature off?

If you format the cell as "general" rather than using a specific number
format I believe you'll get what you want.

Enter PI() into a cell for example, and play with the various formatting
options. Right click on the cell and choose "Format Cells" and then the
"Number" tab. As you select the various format options you'll see the
effect in the little "sample" box.

Bill

=?Utf-8?B?Sm1hZGRlbg==?=

      12th Jan 2005

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from addre" wrote:

> Jmadden wrote:
> > I am doing come calculations and end up with 139.7 for example. If I format
> > the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to
> > 140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I
> > turn the rounding feature off?

> If you format the cell as "general" rather than using a specific number
> format I believe you'll get what you want.
>
> Enter PI() into a cell for example, and play with the various formatting
> options. Right click on the cell and choose "Format Cells" and then the
> "Number" tab. As you select the various format options you'll see the
> effect in the little "sample" box.
>
> Bill

Thanks Bill,

after doing some more searching in the help data, I found the "int"
function. This gives you only the integer portion of a calculation. for
example "=int(a1/a2)" will give you 139, where simply a1/a2 gives you 139.75
which will round up if you remove the number of decmial positions.

Thanks again for you suggestions....

Arvi Laanemets

      12th Jan 2005
Hi

This isn't rounding. Unless you have turned 'Precision as displayed' feature
on, cell formatting doesn't affect stored value at all. Formatting only
changes the way, your data are displayed. Example:

Enter 1.5432 into cell A1. Format the cell A1 as Numeric with 0 decimals -
the number 2 is displayed. Format the cell A1 as numeric with 4 decimals -
1.5432 is displayed. Format cell A1 as numeric with 0 decimals again. Into
B1 enter the formula
=2*A1
and format as numeric with 4 decimals - not 4.0000 but 3.0864 is displayed.
Etc.

--
When sending mail, use address arvil<at>tarkon.ee
Arvi Laanemets

"Jmadden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am doing come calculations and end up with 139.7 for example. If I

format
> the cell as a number with no decmial points it automatically rounds up to
> 140. Normally this is ok, but in this case I don't wnat it to round. Can I
> turn the rounding feature off?

Myrna Larson

      12th Jan 2005
Do you mean that you want it to show 139 in this case? Or 139.7? If you don't
want it to round, you shouldn't set a format with a specific number of decimal
places.