Can share internet cannot share files

=?Utf-8?B?Z2Fncw==?=

      6th May 2006
hello
I was trying to build a network between two of my PC's but I had some
problem in that.
I am having two laptops and two desktop PCs.
1st laptop is toshiba satellite A45-S121 having windows XP home edn.
2nd laptop is IBM thinkpad having windows XP professional
both of the desktop PCs have windows XP professional
I am not using any hub/switch because I just want to connect only two
computers so that I can share some large files.
1) When I run the network setup wizard on two laptops making IBM as host and
toshiba as client it worked fine. I can share files as well as internet.
2) when I try to connect laptop with any of the two PCs making PC as host, I
can only share the internet or I can play multiplayer games but I cannot
share the files. When I click on the view workgroup computers, sometimes it
shows me the other computer and sometimes not. But when it shows I cannot
access the other computer, it gives error that "\\computername is not
accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource.......
The network path was not found."
I have tried all the tricks of disabling firewall, enabling simple file
sharing in folder options and all stuff which I found on microsoft web site
and other web sites but could not get through it.
I think its the problem of some settings as I said I can share files and
internet with two laptops.
I will be very thankful if anyone can help me and tell me step by step
procedure to get through this problem.
Gags

Chuck

      6th May 2006
On Sat, 6 May 2006 04:38:01 -0700, gags <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>hello
>I was trying to build a network between two of my PC's but I had some
>problem in that.
>I am having two laptops and two desktop PCs.
>1st laptop is toshiba satellite A45-S121 having windows XP home edn.
>2nd laptop is IBM thinkpad having windows XP professional
>both of the desktop PCs have windows XP professional
>I am not using any hub/switch because I just want to connect only two
>computers so that I can share some large files.
>1) When I run the network setup wizard on two laptops making IBM as host and
>toshiba as client it worked fine. I can share files as well as internet.
>2) when I try to connect laptop with any of the two PCs making PC as host, I
>can only share the internet or I can play multiplayer games but I cannot
>share the files. When I click on the view workgroup computers, sometimes it
>shows me the other computer and sometimes not. But when it shows I cannot
>access the other computer, it gives error that "\\computername is not
>accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource.......
>The network path was not found."
>I have tried all the tricks of disabling firewall, enabling simple file
>sharing in folder options and all stuff which I found on microsoft web site
>and other web sites but could not get through it.
>I think its the problem of some settings as I said I can share files and
>internet with two laptops.
>I will be very thankful if anyone can help me and tell me step by step
>procedure to get through this problem.
>Gags

Gags,

What you're talking about is a normal problem with the browser, which is what
provides the contents displayed in "View Workgroup Computers". This problem is
usually caused by a misconfigured or overlooked personal firewall, but there are
other possibilities; any might be the cause of your problem. Read this article
with an open mind.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...isibility.html

If you want more direct help, provide "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net
config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, when they are
connected and online, so we can diagnose the problem. Read this article, and
linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):

Please let us know if any of these suggestions are of any help. What you learn
may help others in the future, and that's the purpose of these forums.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

=?Utf-8?B?Z2Fncw==?=

      7th May 2006
Hello Chuck
thanks for your reply. the links that you gave me are very helpful and
informative. i tried to do the things again and I again checked the
firewalls. It was norton's firewall which was restricting the computers to
share files. when i disable the personal firewall in norton, it starts
sharing files. thanks for your help
gags

On Sun, 7 May 2006 03:21:01 -0700, gags <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>> config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, when they are
>> connected and online, so we can diagnose the problem. Read this article, and
>> linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>>
>> Please let us know if any of these suggestions are of any help. What you learn
>> may help others in the future, and that's the purpose of these forums.

>Hello Chuck
>thanks for your reply. the links that you gave me are very helpful and
>informative. i tried to do the things again and I again checked the
>firewalls. It was norton's firewall which was restricting the computers to
>share files. when i disable the personal firewall in norton, it starts

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know.