Can SFC be used on an external drive?

fgdfhfgd

      28th Nov 2007
I am trying to fix a harddrive that was corrupted by a trojan. It messed
things up to the extent that Windows XP pro wouldn't even boot into Safe
Mode and gave a BSOD.

I took the drive out and scanned it as an external drive to another
computer. AVG and then Kaspersky both found worms/trojans that I removed.
I put the drive back in its PC but it still won't boot. After XP tried to
repair it, it's stuck in a cycle: XP boots to Safe Mode now, setup is
continuing, setup can't work in Safe Mode, reboots to Safe Mode, etc etc

I'm guessing that some system files have been deleted or corrupted on the
drive and I'd like to try and repair/replace them with SFC but I don't know
if this can be done with it being an external drive to another computer
running Windows 2000.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Tony

David B.

      28th Nov 2007
Not possible AFAIK, put the drive back in it's respective PC, boot from the
XP installation CD and do a repair install.

--
----