Can send, but can't receive. error message pops up 0x80004005

S.O.S.!!!

      13th Jun 2008
Every time I open Windows Mail, an error message pops up. It says:

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server:
'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error
Number: 0x80004005

What is this? I really need to get emails in here!!
I am not a big computer person, so if possible, try and make the
instructions simple.

Thanks, please let me know!!

Gary VanderMolen

      13th Jun 2008
That's caused by a corrupt message on the server.
Go to http://mail.yahoo.com and log in with your AT&T credentials.
Then clean out all the folders in your webmail. If you want to save
any messages, create a new folder and move those messages to the
new folder. Empty the spam and thrash folders also. Close webmail, then
try Windows Mail again.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

"S.O.S.!!!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every time I open Windows Mail, an error message pops up. It says:
>
> An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server:
> 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error
> Number: 0x80004005
>

> What is this? I really need to get emails in here!!
> I am not a big computer person, so if possible, try and make the
> instructions simple.
>
> Thanks, please let me know!!

mac

      13th Jun 2008

"S.O.S.!!!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Every time I open Windows Mail, an error message pops up. It says:
>
> An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server:
> 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error
> Number: 0x80004005
>

> What is this? I really need to get emails in here!!
> I am not a big computer person, so if possible, try and make the
> instructions simple.
>
> Thanks, please let me know!!

In addition to what Gary said, when you have WM open, go to tools
menu>options>General tab>remove the checkmark from send and receive at start
up>apply/OK

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS]

sgh

      18th Jun 2008
I had the same problem and fixed it with info from this post as well as:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8022640AAUJvf5

It is interesting that several people are having the same problem