How can I reset microsoft word to its orginal default settings?

=?Utf-8?B?RW1waXJl?=

      5th Sep 2006
My Microsoft Word Software has been used alot over the past year and the
settings have been changed. I just wondered if there was even a way to reset
the software to have it back to its orginal default settings, the way it was
when I first used it.

Jezebel

      5th Sep 2006
Most of the settings are stored in normal.dot. If you delete this, Word will
create a new 'clean' one next time you start it.

"Empire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Microsoft Word Software has been used alot over the past year and the
> settings have been changed. I just wondered if there was even a way to
> reset
> the software to have it back to its orginal default settings, the way it
> was
> when I first used it.

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      5th Sep 2006
As Jezebel says, you can delete Normal.dot, but we generally advise just
renaming it until you figure out what you've lost by doing that. Then the
customizations you've accumulated over the years can be (mostly) reclaimed,
if desired, via the Organizer. Other custom settings are stored in the
Registry.

To get an idea of what Word will be like if you blow it back to its
out-of-the-box state, try starting it with the /a switch (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/MissingMenusEtc.htm for instructions)
or, for recent versions, start in Office Safe Mode by holding down the Ctrl
key while Word loads. This will start Word without Normal.dot, the Registry,
or any add-ins. If you like it that way, then you can go ahead and delete
Normal.dot with impunity.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Empire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Microsoft Word Software has been used alot over the past year and the
> settings have been changed. I just wondered if there was even a way to

reset
> the software to have it back to its orginal default settings, the way it

was
> when I first used it.

Graham Mayor

      5th Sep 2006
Most of the rest are stored in the Word data key in the registry so delete
(or rename) that one too. http://www.gmayor.com/my_toolbars_are_missing.htm
will point the way.

--
Graham Mayor - Word MVP